New F150, MKS, and Flex in SE Michigan

Metallicat

First was the Flex in the parking lot of Hillers grocery store in Northville. Looked great in black, I had to check it out a couple of times. I loved the "what the heck is it, I gotta see it, holy crap it is a new Flex!" response that I first felt when seeing it parked there. I think it will be a hit based upon the reaction of a person (me) who typically doesn't give a second look to minivans and cute SUV's.

Next, an undisguised MKS on the streets in dtwn Northville. Looked like the photos, of course, but I really dig the grill treatment. First new waterfall style Lincoln grill that didn't look like a tacked-on Continental grill from 10 yrs ago. Wished I had another chance to see it up close.

Finally, the new F150. It passed me coming south on Center St. as I was headed north. I thought, "hmmm, that F150 looks a bit different." Then I realized that it was a new 2009. Yeah, that was about the extent of my enthusiasm.

A neighbor down the street had a brand new Platinum 2009 F-150 in his driveway that I checked out. This model was black and was the crew cab version. I spent some time looking at if from rear side angle and I thought that every body panel on the 2009 was different from the 2008 giving it a different look to me anyway. It may be a subtle difference, but it's definitely different in every way. I like it. If possible, the new F-150 has a bigger, more capable look to it. I epsecially like the rear taillights and aluminum trimmed tailgate. Looks more expensive and classy. Nice truck.

A neighbor down the street had a brand new Platinum 2009 F-150 in his driveway that I checked out. This model was black and was the crew cab version. I spent some time looking at if from rear side angle and I thought that every body panel on the 2009 was different from the 2008 giving it a different look to me anyway. It may be a subtle difference, but it's definitely different in every way. I like it. If possible, the new F-150 has a bigger, more capable look to it. I epsecially like the rear taillights and aluminum trimmed tailgate. Looks more expensive and classy. Nice truck.

wait what?

how did your neighbor get one?

First was the Flex in the parking lot of Hillers grocery store in Northville. Looked great in black, I had to check it out a couple of times. I loved the "what the heck is it, I gotta see it, holy crap it is a new Flex!" response that I first felt when seeing it parked there. I think it will be a hit based upon the reaction of a person (me) who typically doesn't give a second look to minivans and cute SUV's.

Next, an undisguised MKS on the streets in dtwn Northville. Looked like the photos, of course, but I really dig the grill treatment. First new waterfall style Lincoln grill that didn't look like a tacked-on Continental grill from 10 yrs ago. Wished I had another chance to see it up close.

Finally, the new F150. It passed me coming south on Center St. as I was headed north. I thought, "hmmm, that F150 looks a bit different." Then I realized that it was a new 2009. Yeah, that was about the extent of my enthusiasm.

Do you live in Northville? I grew up there and worked for Hillers for many years.

I know a few execs live in Northville, Padillia was one of them.

^From the previous post ^

The neighbor probable works for Ford.

wait what?

how did your neighbor get one?

He was testing one and inside had all his testing equipment. This one was no mule but finished product. He usually has either a pickup or Expedition/Navigator test mule sitting in front of his house.

If possible, the new F-150 has a bigger, more capable look to it.

And ironically that could work against sales. Considering that there are 2 markets for these vehicles, commercial and personal, the commercial is little likely to be affected by any changes while the perception of largeness will likely scare away a lot of personal use owners given that bigger equals (in most cases) worse fuel economy. And with no end in sight for near term fuel cost escalation, the F150, regardless of the upgrade, but especially if it appears bigger, will not do well in the market (relatively - certainly other similar pickups have the same problems).

And ironically that could work against sales. Considering that there are 2 markets for these vehicles, commercial and personal, the commercial is little likely to be affected by any changes while the perception of largeness will likely scare away a lot of personal use owners given that bigger equals (in most cases) worse fuel economy. And with no end in sight for near term fuel cost escalation, the F150, regardless of the upgrade, but especially if it appears bigger, will not do well in the market (relatively - certainly other similar pickups have the same problems).

Could be a short-term problem for Ford. Hopefully the F100 we've been hearing about is a reality and will be along in a couple of years to fill the need of those looking for a slightly smaller truck. It could be Ford is positioning the F-150 to fit into that proposed lineup better. Who knows. Either way, I doubt the refresh is going to do much to invigorate sales.

Hogwash, Ford has already said F-150 will get better gas mileage than present one if outfitted with 6 speed auto. The F-150 will have more power, torque, and better gas mileage. Ford said 1 more mpg. So you are getting your cake and eating it too.

Could be a short-term problem for Ford. Hopefully the F100 we've been hearing about is a reality and will be along in a couple of years to fill the need of those looking for a slightly smaller truck. It could be Ford is positioning the F-150 to fit into that proposed lineup better. Who knows. Either way, I doubt the refresh is going to do much to invigorate sales.

Yeah, I agree with you that a smaller truck is really really required. I also agree about the refresh; at this point I wonder if the expenditures would have been better placed elsewhere.

Hogwash, Ford has already said F-150 will get better gas mileage than present one if outfitted with 6 speed auto. The F-150 will have more power, torque, and better gas mileage. Ford said 1 more mpg. So you are getting your cake and eating it too.

Hogwash is a rather strong term. Consider that most truck/car buyers probably buy on at least a 3 year cycle. What was the price of gas three years ago? And you're saying that ONE WHOLE MPG is going to sway them back to a big truck. Double the mileage for some people and that STILL isn't going to do it.

Yeah, I agree with you that a smaller truck is really really required. I also agree about the refresh; at this point I wonder if the expenditures would have been better placed elsewhere.

Well, the worst thing Ford could do for the F-150 is just stand still. Its competition isn't standing still just because sales are slowing in the segment. It seems that the expenditures on the refresh weren't TOO extreme based on the amount of carryover, so even if it doesn't mean an INCREASE in overall sales, it may mean less of a decrease.

To that end, I have little doubt that the '09 F-150 will be a success.

agreed, but numbers WILL decrease....what we really need is a hybrid powerplant in the pickups even more so in the vans, the diesel will help and probably more in tune with pickup needs ( towing ) but mark my words...the "recreational" pickup buyer is becoming increasingly rare....THAT markets buying practices ARE reflective of ones capacity to spend at the pump.

agreed, but numbers WILL decrease....what we really need is a hybrid powerplant in the pickups even more so in the vans, the diesel will help and probably more in tune with pickup needs ( towing ) but mark my words...the "recreational" pickup buyer is becoming increasingly rare....THAT markets buying practices ARE reflective of ones capacity to spend at the pump.

I wonder if that long ago rumored Hydraulic Hybrid is still around?

Edited by rmc523

no need for a hybrid powerplant for a significant increase in gas mileage...

Rumors are swirling around the intertubes that a production version of Ford's Hydraulic Launch Assist technology will debut with the 2009 Ford F-150 at the Detroit Auto Show, or possibly a year later. A figure of 60 mpg was initially thrown around, though we're a bit skeptical a production version of HLA could hit the mark. A similar system, however, has already reached the roads on some special Hydraulic Hybrid UPS trucks that were developed by the EPA in conjunction with Eaton and International Truck, both of which are Ford suppliers, as well.

Autoblog Article about Hydralic assisted F-150

no need for a hybrid powerplant for a significant increase in gas mileage...

Autoblog Article about Hydralic assisted F-150

IF in fact this happens it would KILL sales of the competition.....60 mpgs signifies someone has hit the flask pretty hard though....30 mpgs would STILL be reaching for the stars....but just imagine if one could advertize THEIR groundbreaking 1/2 ton getting 30 mpg's.....man would THAt cause a shake up....

IF in fact this happens it would KILL sales of the competition.....60 mpgs signifies someone has hit the flask pretty hard though....30 mpgs would STILL be reaching for the stars....but just imagine if one could advertize THEIR groundbreaking 1/2 ton getting 30 mpg's.....man would THAt cause a shake up....

I could see it now (if the 60mpg number was true):

The all-new 2009 F-150 with Hydraulic Launch Assist, featuring better fuel economy than the Toyota Prius Hybrid. BUILT FORD TOUGH.

• 2 weeks later...