59 Flexes and 50 MKS built last week

igor

1) The Flex will be a hit. <mock Southern accent>Ah kin feel it in mah bones</mock Southern accent>

2) Regardless of whether the Edge would sell better =with= kinetic styling, it is clear that the 'bold' face of the Fusion, Focus, and Edge have attracted buyers. Furthermore, the Edge, of all those models, incorporates the lines of the face into the rest of the vehicle.

Reasoning that 'another style might sell better' is like saying that the bird in the bush might be better than the bird in the hand.

I have some hope, based on the Fiesta, that Ford can continue the 'toy car' design ethic that one finds in the Flex & Edge, however, the Mondeo, Focus, and next gen Taurus all appear to follow the current trend of excessive creasing and broken lines.

The Fiesta, especially the hatchback, looks, like the Edge and Flex (and Interceptor and Mustang), as though you could pick it up and put it in your pocket. But it's the only 'kinetic' vehicle that does anything for me. The rest are just well executed blandness. Like a perfectly made bowl of oatmeal, it's still oatmeal.

I don't know how you can say the Edge is successful in its execution but say many of the exact same lines on the next gen Taurus are excessive and broken. Just look at the profile of the Taurus below the beltline. It's basically lifted straight from the Edge.

If you ask me, I like the kinetic designs because they look solid. Things like the '08 Focus, '08 Taurus, and even the Flex to some extent just don't exude quality in their appearance, no matter how well put together they are. The Edge is exception to me, not the rule.

And do you really want cars that look like you can pick them up and put them in your pocket? They are VEHICLES, not TOYS. Fisher Price makes a lot of things you can pick up and put in your pocket, but I wouldn't want to emulate them if I was trying to market cars and trucks.

Edited by NickF1011

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The Flex will be a hit. <mock Southern accent>Ah kin feel it in mah bones</mock Southern accent>

2) Regardless of whether the Edge would sell better =with= kinetic styling, it is clear that the 'bold' face of the Fusion, Focus, and Edge have attracted buyers. Furthermore, the Edge, of all those models, incorporates the lines of the face into the rest of the vehicle.

Reasoning that 'another style might sell better' is like saying that the bird in the bush might be better than the bird in the hand.

I have some hope, based on the Fiesta, that Ford can continue the 'toy car' design ethic that one finds in the Flex & Edge, however, the Mondeo, Focus, and next gen Taurus all appear to follow the current trend of excessive creasing and broken lines.

The Fiesta, especially the hatchback, looks, like the Edge and Flex (and Interceptor and Mustang), as though you could pick it up and put it in your pocket. But it's the only 'kinetic' vehicle that does anything for me. The rest are just well executed blandness. Like a perfectly made bowl of oatmeal, it's still oatmeal.

agree to a certain extent ...however take a good look at the US Focii's front bumper and the Escape...you want to talk excessive creases and un-necessary focal points?????? And I must say after seeing the Mondeo in the flesh, I will say this, I actually LIKE the fusion to a certain extent however...the mondeo one ups it substantially and does something the fusion does not....look more expensive than it is...especially in the high line models....Fords current "hey just stick the Edges lights and the gilette grill" on substandard refreshes HAS to end...thankfully it looks like it is happening........

I don't know how you can say the Edge is successful in its execution but say many of the exact same lines on the next gen Taurus are excessive and broken. Just look at the profile of the Taurus below the beltline. It's basically lifted straight from the Edge.

If you ask me, I like the kinetic designs because they look solid. Things like the '08 Focus, '08 Taurus, and even the Flex to some extent just don't exude quality in their appearance, no matter how well put together they are. The Edge is exception to me, not the rule.

The Taurus face is what I have a problem with, not the sides.

Further, the '08 Focus & '08 Taurus are not examples of the NA design language as fully realized.

Only the Edge and Flex, of vehicles now in production, have the NA design language as fully realized--that is from front bumper to rear bumper, the design philosophy is continuous. The Fusion, Taurus, and Focus are NA design language cues grafted onto compromised bodies.

...the mondeo one ups it substantially and does something the fusion does not....look more expensive than it is...especially in the high line models....Fords current "hey just stick the Edges lights and the gilette grill" on substandard refreshes HAS to end...thankfully it looks like it is happening........

The planet stopped...'cause we agree.

agree to a certain extent ...however take a good look at the US Focii's front bumper and the Escape...

Those are compromised designs. Please note that I cite ONLY the Edge AND Flex as production cars with the new NA language. The reason for this is because ONLY the Edge and Flex have the NA language implemented bumper to bumper.

Instead of Ford implementing a unified NA design language taking cues from the Interceptor, Edge, and Flex, across the ENTIRE lineup (Taurus, Focus, Fusion, Escape, etc.), Ford is shifting away from that design language, which is going to result in more compromised designs going forward.

The Taurus face is what I have a problem with, not the sides.

Further, the '08 Focus & '08 Taurus are not examples of the NA design language as fully realized.

Only the Edge and Flex, of vehicles now in production, have the NA design language as fully realized--that is from front bumper to rear bumper, the design philosophy is continuous. The Fusion, Taurus, and Focus are NA design language cues grafted onto compromised bodies.

So in other words, they are 1 for 2 in my book on ground-up "Dave" designs. And as already demonstrated with those highly awesome Edge refresh photoshops, the Kinetic style can blend with the Dave style quite well.

Personally, I like the front of the '10 Taurus a heck of a lot better than I probably would if it had some overdone variation of the 3-bar grille tacked on it just for the sake of product continuity. You think the Taurus looks like it's too busy and excessive, look at the Edge. There are no end to the number of lines running amok on the nose of that thing.

Those are compromised designs. Please note that I cite ONLY the Edge AND Flex as production cars with the new NA language. The reason for this is because ONLY the Edge and Flex have the NA language implemented bumper to bumper.

Instead of Ford implementing a unified NA design language taking cues from the Interceptor, Edge, and Flex, across the ENTIRE lineup (Taurus, Focus, Fusion, Escape, etc.), Ford is shifting away from that design language, which is going to result in more compromised designs going forward.

How long is it going to take to get a unified product portfolio? Here it is going on how many years now and "Dave" is still only on TWO vehicles? What is the next "Dave" vehicle? We don't even know what it is. We'll have the Kinetic Fiesta here before "Dave" rears its ugly head again. Thank God.

What the changes in look will result in is better ability to update the vehicles since many of them will be sharing common components with vehicles built for other markets. And you won't have to deal with any sort of compromise design where you try to take something designed for another market and change a few trim pieces here and there to get a "Dave" look. Either that or you can spend all the money to give it ENTIRELY different sheet metal from nose to tail, which isn't cheap.

Personally, I thought the Interceptor, except for the low badass roofline and huge hood, was ugly as sin. :runaway:

I dis-agree....they had their shot, 2 outa how many....not good...pass the baton...theres a new sherrif in town....I don't blame the stylists...they HAVE come out with some doozies...Interceptor ( little heavy handed in the front ) Bronco concept, Explorer replacement and a few others....instead some A$$ signed off on mainstream blandness...we need EXCITEMENT for christs sake...case...the Fiesta....at least all the lines and creases follow a natural path and FLOW!.....perhaps our consatnt "compromised" designs are the reason another path is being taken to begin with....

What would fix the Taurus front, is the Taurus X headlights. The Taurus X looks fantastic. The Taurus looks...bad...

Eh, neither one of them do much for me. Taurus X still basically looks like an overgrown 5-year old Subaru Outback to me. I still prefer the '10 Taurus. It may look more generic, but it definitely looks classier in my book -- and class is something Ford has been lacking for many years in the eyes of consumers.

Eh, neither one of them do much for me. Taurus X still basically looks like an overgrown 5-year old Subaru Outback to me. I still prefer the '10 Taurus. It may look more generic, but it definitely looks classier in my book -- and class is something Ford has been lacking for many years in the eyes of consumers.

I prefer the 2010 Taurus as well...but we don't have that yet.

The Taurus X has a much better front end that the Taurus and looks far better than the Flex.

Every time I see a X on the road, it looks great...every time I see a Taurus on the road...I see Homer Simpson.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

I prefer the 2010 Taurus as well...but we don't have that yet.

The Taurus has a much better front end that the Taurus and looks far better than the Flex.

Every time I see a X on the road, it looks great...every time I see a Taurus on the road...I see Homer Simpson.

ohhh...can't leave...."The Taurus has a much better front end that the Taurus".....alone......

Personally, I like the front of the '10 Taurus a heck of a lot better than I probably would if it had some overdone variation of the 3-bar grille tacked on it just for the sake of product continuity. You think the Taurus looks like it's too busy and excessive, look at the Edge. There are no end to the number of lines running amok on the nose of that thing.

1) The 2010 Taurus would NOT have 'some overdone variation of the 3-bar grille tacked on', it, like the Edge and Flex, would have been designed from the ground up to reflect the NA design language.

2) As far as discontinuity on the Edge grille, I beg to differ. There are, in fact, no unresolved lines on the Edge's face, unless one chooses to make an issue of the bumper air intake.

Note the resolutions of just about every line on the Edge's face:

1 top of headlights/grille resolves in character line carried around entire vehicle.

2 headlight/grille separation carries through bumper and down to lower intake/foglight surround separation.

3 gap in lowest bar of the grille carried through to 'step up' on headlight

4 lower air intake edge carried to foglight surround

5 bumper character line carried around vehicle

6 outer edge of foglight surround matches line from outer edge of headlight

7 bumper fascia cutline matches gap between top and 2nd bars in grille

8 hood cutline matches stepped in headlight.

There simply are not 'lines running amok' on the Edge.

post-15194-1210881128_thumb.jpg

1) The 2010 Taurus would NOT have 'some overdone variation of the 3-bar grille tacked on', it, like the Edge and Flex, would have been designed from the ground up to reflect the NA design language.

2) As far as discontinuity on the Edge grille, I beg to differ. There are, in fact, no unresolved lines on the Edge's face, unless one chooses to make an issue of the bumper air intake.

Note the resolutions of just about every line on the Edge's face:

1 top of headlights/grille resolves in character line carried around entire vehicle.

2 headlight/grille separation carries through bumper and down to lower intake/foglight surround separation.

3 gap in lowest bar of the grille carried through to 'step up' on headlight

4 lower air intake edge carried to foglight surround

5 bumper character line carried around vehicle

6 outer edge of foglight surround matches line from outer edge of headlight

7 bumper fascia cutline matches gap between top and 2nd bars in grille

8 hood cutline matches stepped in headlight.

There simply are not 'lines running amok' on the Edge.

Looks like a cheap Lexus knock off to me.

Every time I see a :redcard: on the road, I see Grandpa Simpson. :stirpot:

slow down for gawds sake Nick...some guy wearing a uniform 4 sizes too small trying to look bigger may light up like a Xmas tree, be in a funeral parade or offer you a ride for $1.50 a mile.....to Leisure World