He said, She said: Flex first drive review

:hysterical:

You guys are hysterical...delusional...but hysterical.

I have driven a 1995 CV with 150,000+ miles and was able to maintain 30MPG at 60 on flat ground. That was according to the computer in the car so it may be a MPG or two off. After all, this is Ford we are talking about.

So you willing to let me drive a rental for a couple weeks to test out how it does in MY real world conditions?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have driven a 1995 CV with 150,000+ miles and was able to maintain 30MPG at 60 on flat ground. That was according to the computer in the car so it may be a MPG or two off. After all, this is Ford we are talking about.

I can get 36 from Fusion's 2.3l I4, and 33-34 from Edge's 3.5l V6 under similar conditions ...

The difference is that IN TOWN - the Fusion will return 20mpg, a Taurus with the 3.5l will return at least 17. The CV - 12.

Igor

I was driving a brand new '08 F250 4x4 Crewcab, auto 6.8L V10. At a steady 55-60, it showed 30+mpg on the computer. Of course, the second the road was not flat, or the breeze trickled in, or I touched the gas pedal (had CC on), it would plummet.

Does this mean that the F250 can get 30+mpg??? Of course not.

Anything, under the right circumstances, can show amazing mileage. It is no more reality than most of P's claims and complaints.

How is that delusional? I never go by the computers on the cars for fuel economy. I dont trust any of them as they really are just glorified vacuum gauges right?

Ive done the math with my Ranger and I know for a fact that it is right. The car is stock as can be. 50K miles, original Continental tires, 3.slow V6 with a 5 speed manual, air filter changed 10K miles ago, 32psi in the tires as of last week, 5w20 Mobil 1 synthetic, driven around 75mph cruising speed on the freeway, 80/20 freeway/city miles, around 380-400 miles per week with an average fill up being around 18.5 gallons. I get the same very very repeatable results every single time, and have gotten them for the past two years with fluctuations due to driving habits or more AC useage that result in about a 1mpg swing each way through the year. 21.4mpg has been steady with a best of 22.7mpg AVERAGE out of a tank. (typical range out of a tank is 380-410 miles before i fill up with a best of 431 miles out of a tank.) Notice, i quote the average in my signature and not the best it might have gotten on a stretch of downhill road on a 65 degree day with the engine off at 50mph.

I suppose I can run a tuner, 0w oil and distort the facts to make it look like i get 30mpg too. Thats not realistic though and far from the norm.

Edited by Sixt9coug

:backtotopic:

I didn't drive one, but I opened and slammed every door on a Flex today. Dark Ink Blue Metallic .. with a stone interior I guess was the inside color. Puts the Taurus X to shame. Good riddance TX.

If you get the power rear hatch opening, you'll get the same type of rod that is on the Edge. Before, they said that wasn't designed in and that's why it was like that. DUH, well they have had 2 years to design it in on this and it didn't happen. The one I looked at didn't have it, so you now get a nifty storage bin added to the left rear interior quarter panel in lieu of. Not a biggie in my book.

Walking up to it from the front. I liked the idea of those fog lamps. Their the projector bulb type, but in a black surround and it just looks better than throwing some type of chrome around it. It helps make the front end. 3 bar grill works well with this front end.

You hardly notice the ribs in the doors, maybe because it was such a dark color. 3rd. and second row seats really DO fold flat and if you like that,, good. Yep it can handle 6 people in all 3 rows, but putting 3 adults in the middle seat will be stretching it. This was a solid colour, so if it had a white roof, I feel it would have looked more stunning.

The dash,, and center stack, nothing spectacular, but their is a row of buttons right under the top dash and that looked good their. Gauge cluster- typical Ford. List was about $29.5K. Didn't seem to be extra long or wide, nice size, but as a replacement for a mini-van..... SOLID HIT! I don't think their will be a "you either like it or you don't" feel to this. If it's not your style, you'll soon grow to appreciate it for what it is.. a people hauler that can also tow. The mini-van mom will like tooling around in it without kids with her. The teen age boy will like it, because taking a date out in it, he won't be spending money in motel rooms any more.

I hope Ford doesn't order too many Fridge's for this. WHO will really want one?

I hope Ford doesn't order too many Fridge's for this. WHO will really want one?

Families that have small children (or even bigger kids) that go on road trips would be interested in one. It'll keep the drinks cool while driving on the highway.

I never go by the computers on the cars for fuel economy. I dont trust any of them as they really are just glorified vacuum gauges right?

No, they're not. The computer controls the fuel injectors so if you know how much fuel is injected with each pulse times the number of pulses it turns out to be pretty accurate.

Those that have tested the onboard computer MPG have found that it's usually within 1/2 mpg.

So will a $1.99 styrofoam cooler with a 79 cent bag of ice in it.

But then where do you put it? Lets say you have a full load, how do you safely open the cooler behind the 3rd row. You'd have to unbuckle your seatbelt to open it. Now I agree, not everybody is going to buy it, but I think it's great that Ford is offering it for those that will. Also it's another thing, along with SYNC, Vista Roof, etc., that Ford can say the competition doesn't have.

I saw that on the option list and thought, "great, another convinience feature for fat american consumers who are going to reach in their for their Milky Way".

But hey, if Ford can make a few hundreds on profits for it, why not...

But then where do you put it? Lets say you have a full load, how do you safely open the cooler behind the 3rd row. You'd have to unbuckle your seatbelt to open it. Now I agree, not everybody is going to buy it, but I think it's great that Ford is offering it for those that will. Also it's another thing, along with SYNC, Vista Roof, etc., that Ford can say the competition doesn't have.

Maybe you could put it between the seats where there would normally be a useless refrigerator. :idea:

we just got our first, an all Ice Blue SE....VERY impressed....my gauge is if i would personally drive one...answer...HELL YES!........doors close with a THUD, ALL surfaces seem soft touch, close the door and VERY quiet....ergonomics excellent...head room unbeleivable.......

yea, but whould this guy like it?

Hossvday_edited.jpg

looks like a hidden outhouse camera shot post a "Hoss" burger.....seriously though....headroom galore....now plonk some steerhorns on the front.....

Edited by Deanh

Maybe you could put it between the seats where there would normally be a useless refrigerator. :idea:

Is there a pass-through option? I know there's a console option, and then the refigerator option on top of that. I don't remember reading about a pass through option, so there'd be no place to put it there between the seats if there's a console there.

Is there a pass-through option? I know there's a console option, and then the refigerator option on top of that. I don't remember reading about a pass through option, so there'd be no place to put it there between the seats if there's a console there.

I'm pretty sure both the fridge and 2nd row console are options. I do believe the 2nd row captains can be had without the console. Deanh? Can you clarify?

Either way....it's not like a cooler takes up a ton of space anyhow. You can even buy one of those little thermal bags that will hold a 12-pack. If you need more beverages than that, perhaps you should be looking into a school bus instead of a Flex.

I think the fridge is a neat option to offer...I just don't see many people going for it. It's something I would definitely leave off my list. For one, how long does it take for the fridge to actually get cool? How long does it stay cool after the car is turned off? It just seems like it would hardly get used often enough to justify the price.

I'm pretty sure both the fridge and 2nd row console are options. I do believe the 2nd row captains can be had without the console. Deanh? Can you clarify?

Either way....it's not like a cooler takes up a ton of space anyhow. You can even buy one of those little thermal bags that will hold a 12-pack. If you need more beverages than that, perhaps you should be looking into a school bus instead of a Flex.

I think the fridge is a neat option to offer...I just don't see many people going for it. It's something I would definitely leave off my list. For one, how long does it take for the fridge to actually get cool? How long does it stay cool after the car is turned off? It just seems like it would hardly get used often enough to justify the price.

I just realized I've had a brochure sitting next to me this whole time. I believe you are right about there being captains w/out the console, at least that's the impression I'm getting from the brochure.

You're probably right, it won't be a high take option, but it's still a cool option to offer.

I'm not sure how long it takes to cool, and I seem to remember reading about it staying on for a while after the vehicle is turned off. According to the brochure though, it has a "FREEZE" and "COOL" mode. I guess in COOL mode, it gets to 41 degrees, while in FREEZE mode, it'll go down to 23 degrees.

Edited by rmc523