OAC News

otp

No one care anymore? Call Lewenza, or have we all just given up?

My Steward/Committeeman has told us in chassis that about 748 brothers and sisters will be coming from St. Thomas to work in Oakville. My question is are we going 3 shifts again because I don't see that many Oakville members Retiring or taking the Step Program???

Edited by schumi1919
  • Like 1

My Steward/Committeeman has told us in chassis that about 748 brothers and sisters will be coming from St. Thomas to work in Oakville. My question is are we going 3 shifts again because I don't see that many Oakville members Retiring or taking the Step Program???

With that many people transfering it sounds like more work is coming to OAC in the future!

There hasn't been any announcement of an additional product for Oakville. If it was announced tomorrow, it would be three years before production would start. The only announcements have been for replacements, and MKT limosines and hearses. A lot of employees will attain 30 years in the next few years. There was a lot of hiring going on in the early eighties. These people have not yet been offered anything substantial, so they are still there; many anxious to retire. If they were to offer to bridge people with 28 years, they would get a lot who would take it. They do not need three shifts to supply the demand for what we are producing now.

There hasn't been any announcement of an additional product for Oakville. If it was announced tomorrow, it would be three years before production would start.

Strong rumour is we will be getting the Focus C-Max. Many PVT members have mentioned this to me. If true it wouldn't take as long as you think to get production going.

Can anyone tell me if you have been canvassed for buyout in the last few months? Dingbat said that nobody was offered any thing substantial, but to him that would have to mean 6 zeros. The 700-800 people are those who showed a desire to move to another Ford facility in Canada.

Can anyone tell me if you have been canvassed for buyout in the last few months? Dingbat said that nobody was offered any thing substantial, but to him that would have to mean 6 zeros. The 700-800 people are those who showed a desire to move to another Ford facility in Canada.

What I said was that people with 28 or 29 years seniority haven't been offered anything substantial. Nobody with that kind of seniority is going to give up his pension for a lump sum of $100,000. That is all they have ever been offered. There is a potential to get many more people to retire if these people are offered the package, plus their pensions. I know many who would jump at the chance.

If you go back 30 years from this date, the plant was on one shift, and there was no hiring. People who started before the lay-off to one shift have mostly retired now. There are very few people with 30 years or more; but lots with 29, 28, 27, etc.

Edited by Trimdingman

Strong rumour is we will be getting the Focus C-Max. Many PVT members have mentioned this to me. If true it wouldn't take as long as you think to get production going.

C-Max is going to MAP. Dearborn Stamping, which makes the Focus doors, will be upgrading the door lines and receive the tooling this summer to produce the doors for it.

What was the date of separation? Are ppl being asked to leave now?

It is not happening before October 2011. Some will work into spring of 2012. People who will attain 30 years by then are hoping that the offer will be made to them. The lowest seniority is around 2002 start, except for some people who have previously transferred in from other plants. I can't see many of them taking the STEP and giving up 9 or more years of seniority. There are very few who have 30 years to qualify for full pension. Most 30 year plus people who wanted to retire took previous buy-outs. The only people who are interested in going are the ones just shy of 30 years; if they were offered full pensions. There are a lot of them, as a second shift was added in October 1981, and there was a lot of hiring throughout the 1980s.

Edited by Trimdingman

I heard 50 members accepted the STEP program & 68 members are still on layoff. Also 360 STAP brothers & sisters are suppose to come to OAC. Hope others can verify or add to this Post!!

I believe that the 360 STAP number is the people who would like to come IF there are openings for them. They will only fill openings, not displace current people.

Ford sales are through the roof, customers are put on an ever longer waiting list and the competition has its backs to the wall. Evertime something happens around the world the plants seem have atleast some part made there, Indian labour unrest, Mexican drug lords, Chinese carelessness, and now this. Maybe that crazy old fascist nutbar Henry knew more then todays globalize obsessed capitalist do.

Ford sales are through the roof, customers are put on an ever longer waiting list and the competition has its backs to the wall. Evertime something happens around the world the plants seem have atleast some part made there, Indian labour unrest, Mexican drug lords, Chinese carelessness, and now this. Maybe that crazy old fascist nutbar Henry knew more then todays globalize obsessed capitalist do.

I've been saying this since we lost the cushion room that the more we outsource the more we lose control over our own plant.

Ford's dug its own hole; it's not like it should be a big surprise. Remember when Lear went on strike and we were driving Windstars out of the plant with the drivers on milk crates? That should have been a clue. And they were just up the street not halfway around the world ...

I've been saying this since we lost the cushion room that the more we outsource the more we lose control over our own plant.

Ford's dug its own hole; it's not like it should be a big surprise. Remember when Lear went on strike and we were driving Windstars out of the plant with the drivers on milk crates? That should have been a clue. And they were just up the street not halfway around the world ...

I remember when those people were protesting for our support in Hamilton because they were going to lose out to Magna. That was the contract where we got a signing bonus. I personally felt disgusted.

Edited by foxrun

Sales are hardly "through the roof". Look up monthly sales of each model on Ford's website, add them up, and compare with plant capacity. I am not saying that you are one of them, but people who are Hell bent (pun intended) on Globalization, need to learn that they have to take the good with the bad. Bigger government is never good, as history has proven time and time again. Government and industry co-operating to form a global network is Fascism. It is not Capitalism. Fascism, Communism, and Naziism are all cousins. Free Market Capitalism is a completely different animal; the polar opposite on the political spectrum of the aforementioned ideologies. It is now extinct in this world, and has been for a very long time.

Edited by Trimdingman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...