OAC News

otp

The partial third shift is for body, paint and bammr. They expect it to be going early next year. This would be the same areas that had the shift before. The rest of the plant is expected to follow, supposedly, in late 2014. Part of the issue is suppliers, since they can't keep up with us now they need to arrange for them to be able to get us more parts quicker.

This was the info given at the oac ratification on saturday so as always subject to change if Ford decides to change it. But currently these departments are struggling to keep up with trim and chassis so if we are to build the cars that are on order they need them running more hours, as soon as possible.

Other new jobs will be reliefmen, since they want to go back to tag reliefs. Not sure where and when that will happen yet.

Edited by trimoac

I worked in Body when we had the three shifts before. The robots were down a lot but the extra four hours meant that down time was made up for. I wish I was still in Body so I could go back to the 8 hours as well, the 10s are so long. Oh well maybe this time they will actually get the 3 shifts in the entire plant, eventually. I know we are all hoping for that in trim and chassis but it will take some time to get parts organized for us. The only time we don't work full shift is if paint or body is down too long or part shortages and the part shortages are the major issue.

Hopefully, things run smooth enough for them to keep the 3 shifts. If they actually put the new platform in by 2014 that will certainly help us out. New robots and equipment usually run better, at least once the kinks are worked out. I am glad we are at least heading towards that third shift, I would even love to see the midnights turn into the weekend shift like they originally wanted, I would rather work those then the 48 hours spread out over the 5 days, just seems like more actual time off since its several days in a row.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"any new news for oac?"

Yeah, it looks like the company is lining things up for a "we need to re-open the collective agreement" set of negotiations. No new product announcement - No (secured) funding - just threads of future hope for us all to grasp at in what I'm sure the company hopes will have you believing is necessary to keep your job. We haven't bled enough yet it seems.

I'm sure they'll be seeking a few hundred million from the Ontario Government as well before they "continue with the new product" — even though all indications around the plant also point to them already having every intent to bring new product here. Ask and ye shall receive! I couldn't imagine them doing things any other way.

Hope you're all ready...

• Like 1

Top brass will be at Oakville in mid June. I would expect the announcement to be made then. Job one for the next generation Edge is to be around last quarter this year or first quarter 2014. OAC is secure for a long time. The future focus should be on Windsor. We need new product investment to secure employment after the 5.4 is done and even more to bring the only people left on lay off status in North America operations - some who have been ILO for 6 years now.

We would transfer to OAC if we could transfer back to Windsor as soon as there was work for us back home rather than being able to transfer only when a layoff at OAC would be issued. I do not want to nor can afford to live in the GTA given my circumstances. Remember this - in 2002 negotations, we in Windsor were ready to strike if there was no investment at OAC ( the Edge was to be awarded to CAP but our actions strong armed the company to give it to OAC and preventing closure) I hope those at OAC are now willing to do the same for Windsor if it comes to having to use that tactic.

• 4 weeks later...

Ford to maintain Canadian factory footprint despite high labor costs

Investment plan in works for Oakville plant

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130521/OEM01/305219935#ixzz2U49eRR53

TORONTO (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., Canada's top-selling automaker, is confident it can preserve its manufacturing profile in the nation despite unfavorable operating costs tied to the high Canadian dollar, the company's lead executive for the country said.

"We are optimistic despite the Canadian dollar where it is," Dianne Craig, chief executive officer of Ford Canada, said Tuesday during the Bloomberg Canada Economic Summit in Toronto. "So it's between the business partners that we have, certainly the government, that will enable us to at least keep the footprint that we have today."

Ford says it pays its richest wages and benefits in the world to workers in Canada, where it has retrenched to just one assembly plant.

The U.S. automaker is working on an investment plan for its Oakville plant, outside Toronto, though it's "not ready for prime time yet," she said.

While Ford mulls a fresh investment in Canada, General Motors is shifting production from the country as its currency trades at about parity with the U.S. dollar, from as low as 62 cents in 2002.

GM said in December that it will make the next-generation Camaro sports car in Lansing, Mich., and stop output in Oshawa, Ontario.

Ford's Oakville factory currently makes the Ford Edge and Flex and Lincoln MKX and MKT. Ford in 2011 closed its St. Thomas, Ontario, plant that made the Ford Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car sedans.

Less investment

Automotive companies invested about $43 billion in North America from 2010 to 2012, of which $2.3 billion, or 5 percent, was pegged to Canada, according to the Center for Automotive Research.

The United States and Mexico received $3.7 billion each last year, while Canada took about $200 million, the Ann Arbor, Mich.-based researcher said.

The disconnect between healthy Canadian auto sales and its share of global auto investment is worrying, Dennis DesRosiers, president of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc., said at the event.

Auto sales in Canada are on pace to climb for a third consecutive year, with deliveries rising 1.4 percent through April to 527,019, according to DesRosiers. Sales rose 5.7 percent last year to 1.68 million.

"From a North American perspective, I've never been more optimistic," said DesRosiers. "What's different is that Canada doesn't seem to be participating in the upside."

For decades, Canada typically got 15 percent to 20 percent of assembly-plant investment, said DesRosiers. "In the assembly sector we're lucky to get 4 or 5 percent, it's all going to Mexico, the U.S. South; in the parts sector it's even less."

Edited by Dustyw85

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok...so I go to my local dealer to check out a new flex. It's a basic se model. Black cloth interior. Nice car. But the salesman says, well I can't sell this to you today. He then shows me that somehow the third row seat was installed with the leather seats. It should have been cloth. I chuckled to myself, but as an employee was a little embarrassed. I get that mistakes happen, but is there any end of the line inspection that should catch a mistake like this?

Edited by mnm

Ok...so I go to my local dealer to check out a new flex. It's a basic se model. Black cloth interior. Nice car. But the salesman says, well I can't sell this to you today. He then shows me that somehow the third row seat was installed with the leather seats. It should have been cloth. I chuckled to myself, but as an employee was a little embarrassed. I get that mistakes happen, but is there any end of the line inspection that should catch a mistake like this?

I load seat's at DTP and that happens moor than you think,left cloth right leather.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news from OAC ?

I and around 80 other laid off employees are signed up to go to OAC on the next manpower increase. We have been told anywhere from 2cd to 3rd quarter (April to September). I heard a rumour that we will be called up in May.

Does anyone have any more concrete information as to when we will be called up.

Are your dates for retooling definite yet (March 10 - April 14?)

Job 1 date for the next generation Edge?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks