2008 Edge Limited: Long term report

williston

As I near the 10,000 mile mark on my 2008 Edge, I thought I would post some impressions here and suggestions here for others to read.

Vehicle: 2008 Edge Limited AWD Purchased: 2/08 Current Mileage: 9,350

This is a NICE vehicle. There has been no reason to return it to the dealer for anything. This is a first for me. I have purchased many new cars over the years and they all had a laundry list of things that needed to be fixed due to factory defects or assembly errors. Nice job Ford! Now that it has broken in, I’m seeing 21-22 combined MPG. If I’m on the highway at a steady cruise at 65 mph and reset the MPG computer, I can watch it getting from 28-35 mpg with no problem. After running for 30-40 miles at these steady speeds, it will average out to around 33 mpg. The interior is tight, the seats are very comfortable and there’s nothing annoying about any of the features or set up. I waxed it a few weeks ago and found NO flaws in the paint. The color is Dark Ink Blue Metallic and the car looks nice in this color, especially since it makes all the black lower plastic trim pieces nearly invisible. No complaints with the driveline, except I think the tranny should hunt a little less at cruise on the highway. It’s a little too quick to shift down on even the slightest inclines.

Suggestions to make it even better? Most are minor: put a lamp in the glove box, the center console and place where that blank trim piece is on the inner lift gate panel. (Does the MKX have a light there?) The instrument lights need to be brighter: on a cloudy day or at dusk, they wash out and are un-readable when the lights come on or when you turn on the wipers. It’s only a problem for the green numbers on the speedo and tach: the tiny red (metric) character show up fine. Make the cover over the spare and the storage cubbies around it standard equipment. I love the BAMF, but it could use a couple of small improvements: ILLUMINATE the overhead controls! Add a setting to allow the vent setting with the shade slightly opened. Change out the wind deflector: the mesh fabric to something solid. Mine constantly collects pollen, bugs and dirt and is always a mess again soon after cleaning it. Why should I have to bother with this? I have had many cars with sunroofs and never had to clean the wind deflector.

That’s it! You got it right Ford!

:stats:

As I near the 10,000 mile mark on my 2008 Edge, I thought I would post some impressions here and suggestions here for others to read.

Vehicle: 2008 Edge Limited AWD Purchased: 2/08 Current Mileage: 9,350

This is a NICE vehicle. There has been no reason to return it to the dealer for anything. This is a first for me. I have purchased many new cars over the years and they all had a laundry list of things that needed to be fixed due to factory defects or assembly errors. Nice job Ford! Now that it has broken in, I’m seeing 21-22 combined MPG. If I’m on the highway at a steady cruise at 65 mph and reset the MPG computer, I can watch it getting from 28-35 mpg with no problem. After running for 30-40 miles at these steady speeds, it will average out to around 33 mpg. The interior is tight, the seats are very comfortable and there’s nothing annoying about any of the features or set up. I waxed it a few weeks ago and found NO flaws in the paint. The color is Dark Ink Blue Metallic and the car looks nice in this color, especially since it makes all the black lower plastic trim pieces nearly invisible. No complaints with the driveline, except I think the tranny should hunt a little less at cruise on the highway. It’s a little too quick to shift down on even the slightest inclines.

Suggestions to make it even better? Most are minor: put a lamp in the glove box, the center console and place where that blank trim piece is on the inner lift gate panel. (Does the MKX have a light there?) The instrument lights need to be brighter: on a cloudy day or at dusk, they wash out and are un-readable when the lights come on or when you turn on the wipers. It’s only a problem for the green numbers on the speedo and tach: the tiny red (metric) character show up fine. Make the cover over the spare and the storage cubbies around it standard equipment. I love the BAMF, but it could use a couple of small improvements: ILLUMINATE the overhead controls! Add a setting to allow the vent setting with the shade slightly opened. Change out the wind deflector: the mesh fabric to something solid. Mine constantly collects pollen, bugs and dirt and is always a mess again soon after cleaning it. Why should I have to bother with this? I have had many cars with sunroofs and never had to clean the wind deflector.

That’s it! You got it right Ford!

We rented an Edge through Hertz on a recent vacation to northern Arizona. It was a great vehicle that rode and drove well and got good gas mileage. We had it on everything from the interstate to gravel roads and it handled them all.

If only the folks who are purchasing the import brands would drive one of these I believe it would change their minds.

Have you had the occasion to haul anything ?

I have heard one person complain that there is less "usable" interior volume than an Escape, both with rear seats down. Comments ?

Don't belive it Wiz. I own both and anyone can see the difference if parked next to each other.

Have you had the occasion to haul anything ?

I have heard one person complain that there is less "usable" interior volume than an Escape, both with rear seats down. Comments ?

Though the rake of the window may take away some room, the width of the vehicle should make up for some of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 2007 SEL + for more than a year now. Zero problems, and I have every factory option except for the rear-seat DVD player (which can't be ordered with the BAMR).

If I had to order one today, I'd order it the same way, except for Sync, and maybe the Pebble interior.

In fact, our Fusion hasn't had a single problem, either.

Edited by jpark

I've had my 2007 SEL + for more than a year now. Zero problems, and I have every factory option except for the rear-seat DVD player (which can't be ordered with the BAMR).

If I had to order one today, I'd order it the same way, except for Sync, and maybe the Pebble interior.

In fact, our Fusion hasn't had a single problem, either.

I assume you're saying you would order the SYNC? Also, you could've gotten the headrest DVD entertainment system as well, if you needed a system.

• 2 weeks later...
I assume you're saying you would order the SYNC? Also, you could've gotten the headrest DVD entertainment system as well, if you needed a system.

Yes, I'd add Sync for sure. The headrest DVD players are accessories. I'm not sure I'd install them unless I can see exactly what they look like.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are sure making me feel good about my latest purchase. My wife has always wanted an Edge since they first came out. Well, we spotted a 2007 Edge AWD SE Plus on Friday night. 9300 miles. The sales managers car, a guy I have gotten to know pretty well. They shot me a good price. I now have a very beautiful and happy wife. We pick it up tonight. Glad to hear that everybody is happy with their Edge. :happy feet:

• 3 months later...

Update: My 2008 Edge developed the problem with the leaky PTO seal Thanksgiving week. Purchased 2/08 and current mileage at approx 21,000. It had been dry up to this point with no signs of problems. Looks like the cold weather we have had lately contributed to the failure. Will check back in after resolution.... Just FYI: You can't miss the smell this causes in the cabin: reminds me of a burning electrical smell. We had just pulled into the garage and at first started looking for something electrical that was overheating (to unplug).

Update: My 2008 Edge developed the problem with the leaky PTO seal Thanksgiving week. Purchased 2/08 and current mileage at approx 21,000. It had been dry up to this point with no signs of problems. Looks like the cold weather we have had lately contributed to the failure. Will check back in after resolution.... Just FYI: You can't miss the smell this causes in the cabin: reminds me of a burning electrical smell. We had just pulled into the garage and at first started looking for something electrical that was overheating (to unplug).

I thought this problem was limited to the 2007. Apparently not.

• 2 months later...

We have a 2008 MKX purchased new in January 08 that now has 17K miles on it. We have had no problems except both sets of rear wheel bearings had to be replaced ( AWD) at about 14K miles. The Lincoln dealer replaced them and we have had no problems since. It has been a very good car otherwise and definitely recommend it to anyone looking for that type vehicle.

Wheel bearings at 14k--that's a fairly major early failure by current standards. I'm a bit surprised by this. If both failed, that suggests it's systemic. I'll keep an eye out for similar reports on TrueDelta's survey.

Edited by mkaresh

Had to replace an axle in my awd limited over Christmas and have the low air pressure sensors reset. Axle problem exhibited a low speed vibration when accelerating or stopping. Repair was done properly. Waiting two and a half weeks for the axle to come in while being without my car gives me pause, however. :redcard:

2008 AWD LTD - has 13,000+ miles on it. Assembled and leased in 2/08. The only issue I have is when the weather is cold say 25 degrees Farenheit or lower - there is a terrible rattling noise somewhere behind me. Seems like it is in the tailgate but I know it can really be anywhere behind the front seat including the vista roof. More prominent when going over bumps or railroad tracks. I know I will never be able to re-create the noise for the dealer. Makes the car sound really cheap. Anyone else with similar issues?

• 3 weeks later...
My wife's 07 Edge has close to 14,000 miles on it (we don't drive much). We had the PTU seal repaired last February and it has been fine since. No other issues either. Overall it has been a very reliable car.

We have made adjustments online to prevent that from further happening.