Autoblog Tests the Flex

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/17/in-the-...imited-w-video/

ford-flex45015.jpg

Over the past couple years, the number of crossovers on the roads has skyrocketed. Ford has invested plenty of time and money on the segment, and after coming close to getting it right with the Edge, the Blue Oval has struck gold with the Flex. It has the technology customers crave, its interior is world class, and it turns heads everywhere it goes. Does the Flex have enough of what customers want to make it a hit? We think Ford finally struck the bulls-eye.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends who work at Ford say an employee/retiree lease deal was put into place pre-launch to generate orders for this thing. I guess to make sure it didn't land with a resounding thud.

If I still needed to carry that many people I'd spend 10 grand less and get a minivan

biggestest problem with this car is the engine and gas mileage. ford better have a few alternatives up its sleeve and reveal them real soon! hybrid, turbo 4 or something. when they offer that, they will sell these cars.

Heck, we rented a Dodge Grand Caravan for a holiday trip (around 3k miles in a week) and averaged about 26.5 mpg the whole way. Mostly highway miles (with 4 people and a ton of stuff) and a couple hundred city miles (with 7). It was actually very drivable and -- while not as fun as, say, a CX-9 -- pretty economical to drive (and purchase... and the stow-n-go seats were fantastic).

43K for a Ford CUV? Who would buy a Ford over a Buick Enclave for the same money?
Edited by pcsario

The Buick Enclave is the ugliest boat I've ever seen haunting the road, I for one would never be caught dead in somethign that looked like a blinged out bar of soap, yuck!.

The Flex is class, real genuine design!

SO THERE to the comment about the Enclave above :P

Edited by BORG

The Buick Enclave is the ugliest boat I've ever seen haunting the road, I for one would never be caught dead in somethign that looked as tacky.

I certainly agree with that opinion. The Flex looks very fit and trim in comparison.

I certainly agree with that opinion. The Flex looks very fit and trim in comparison.

The Flex is the way I wish Ford design would stay, very fit and trim with crisp lines and body proportions. I really don't want to see Mondeos here!

The Flex is the way I wish Ford design would stay, very fit and trim with crisp lines and body proportions. I really don't want to see Mondeos here!

I completely agree with that as well. Ford was finally hitting their stride and now their going to change gear. I'm not sure I like the idea of changing now.

"Friends who work at Ford say an employee/retiree lease deal was put into place pre-launch to generate orders for this thing. I guess to make sure it didn't land with a resounding thud."

To make sure it did not land with a thud is a total negative spin on things. It would be nice if the autho would get their facts straight vs. making an assumption. The Flex was made available as management leases as a marketing tool. The idea was to get them out there in the public so they can be seen as well as having a guaranteed means of feedback on any issues that may arise. This has been done before with the Fusion and sibblings and others. So they get exposure, and employees can provide quick feedback on a regular basis so any improvement if needed can be made. They can more easily deal with an employee/customer issue than with a regular retail customer. IT also save Ford some marketing dollars so in my opinion it was a smart thing to do. I wonder why the author did not disclose the nature of the discount? It is no different from what Ford has been doing for years.

Edited by Loyalbutconcerned

"Friends who work at Ford say an employee/retiree lease deal was put into place pre-launch to generate orders for this thing. I guess to make sure it didn't land with a resounding thud."

To make sure it did not land with a thud is a total negative spin on things. It would be nice if the autho would get their facts straight vs. making an assumption. The Flex was made available as management leases as a marketing tool. The idea was to get them out there in the public so they can be seen as well as having a guaranteed means of feedback on any issues that may arise. This has been done before with the Fusion and sibblings and others. So they get exposure, and employees can provide quick feedback on a regular basis so any improvement if needed can be made. They can more easily deal with an employee/customer issue than with a regular retail customer. IT also save Ford some marketing dollars so in my opinion it was a smart thing to do. I wonder why the author did not disclose the nature of the discount? It is no different from what Ford has been doing for years.

Because Autoblog, like certain posters here, dislikes Ford NA no matter what they do.

My bad, I forgot adding perspective and common sense to any thread is called "trolling" around here.

Shame on you!

The Buick Enclave is the ugliest boat I've ever seen haunting the road, I for one would never be caught dead in somethign that looked like a blinged out bar of soap, yuck!.

The Flex is class, real genuine design!

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

That is the funniest thing I read all day...

Send them a bunch of "T" squares...or pictures of last year's Scion.