Autoblog Tests the Flex

"Out on the open road or in congested traffic, the Flex provided plenty of comfort and capability. Ford's 3.5L V6 performs its task well, providing 262 hp for the driver to play with. It won't strike fear into the hearts of radials and it isn't Lexus smooth, but it'll get you onto the freeway without much fuss. The 6F50 six-speed transmission, co-developed with GM, was smooth as butter, though we would have liked to have a manual mode to play with in place of Ford's standard "PRNDL" fare. Fuel economy was right in line with that of the AWD competition, averaging 20.6 mpg in mixed driving. FWD models score about two mpg better in the EPA cycle, so if fuel economy is a top concern, you may want to skip out on the ability to move all four wheels at the same time."

they AVERAGED just over 20MPG out of the AWD model. in mixed driving even with the AWD model.

Sounds like its doing alright with its fuel economy numbers.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw my first flex on the road today, it has a lot of road presence. Its low and long, looked pretty cool really. It screams old hot rod woody h

I saw one too, out on a test drive. It's definitely polarizing, that's for sure. I think I actually like it better in motion than sitting on a lot (don't we all though :lol:).

"Out on the open road or in congested traffic, the Flex provided plenty of comfort and capability. Ford's 3.5L V6 performs its task well, providing 262 hp for the driver to play with. It won't strike fear into the hearts of radials and it isn't Lexus smooth, but it'll get you onto the freeway without much fuss. The 6F50 six-speed transmission, co-developed with GM, was smooth as butter, though we would have liked to have a manual mode to play with in place of Ford's standard "PRNDL" fare. Fuel economy was right in line with that of the AWD competition, averaging 20.6 mpg in mixed driving. FWD models score about two mpg better in the EPA cycle, so if fuel economy is a top concern, you may want to skip out on the ability to move all four wheels at the same time."

they AVERAGED just over 20MPG out of the AWD model. in mixed driving even with the AWD model.

Sounds like its doing alright with its fuel economy numbers.

I'm waiting for a mlmh sighting....

Those seats look like they have 100K on them already. The 90,000 miles that was on the seats in my grandma's SHO was tighter and nicer looking than that...

Ummmm, way back in 1968 when the Mark III came out, the leather seats were intentionally "relaxed" for a more comfortable look, more like the interior of an English pub than the sleek and tightly fitted Jetson's sterile/modern Eldorado. Most people prefered the Mark's interior And the seating surface wore very well.

The Flex interior is amazingly good. At the Fab Fords preview literally thousands of people got in and out of the Flex. It didn't look any worse for wear. I've been to car shows and wondered how well some interiors would hold up (as they alrady looked worn).

And I had a 95 SHO.........you're full of it.

Because Autoblog, like certain posters here, dislikes Ford NA no matter what they do.

Where do you get that idea from? The review was very positive and the negative comments pc is referring to is the comment section. And like Reynolds mentioned they have 2 pennies in their pocket and are idiots.

While some of you disagree with pc no matter what he says I like his perspective and think he makes a lot of good points.

While the Flex is warming on me I still think the Enclave is very elegant looking and my first preference. Give GM credit they hit a sweet spot in the market and have done a reasonably good job. If it was not them it would be Honda or Toyota.

And by the way, I don't think the Flex is moving off the lots like Ford would of liked.

This quote was great too (from page three):

The designers of this vehicle should be kicked in the nuts with a muddy welly and force fed fruit cake for the rest of their lives for so blatantly ripping off the Clubman and fusing it with a LR3/Discovery3.

Bollocks!

Because the design language never existed before those two? :rolleyes:

post-25758-1216384462_thumb.jpg

Honestly, that interior is almost too simplistic for me, not to mention that hideous steering wheel. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't mind having one, though.

I agree...not sure on the steering wheel. Sometimes you have to use one to see how it works in real life.

You have obviously never sat in a Flex. The interior is VERY nice, and the seats are VERY comfortable and classy looking.

Except in the cloth seats. They feel like left over burlap bags. Thankfully you can get dealer installed leather for around $1800.

What is intereting that they have more than one leather trim available. Some of them have the perforated and others don't. Kind of unusual to have more than one version.

Flex is a very nice vehicle...however the price will keep it from selling like it should.

The price is well in line with most everything else on the market that will seat 7 comfortably, be it a minivan or SUV. It's not like every Flex costs $43K. They start under $30K. You do realize the AVERAGE car costs over $27,000 now, right? I would say the Flex is above average, in both its capabilities as a vehicle and its quality.