I Can't See Flex Not Flopping

I cannot believe that a similarly equipped Flex got 21 MPGs under the same conditions as an Explorer that got 13. Tell me 15 or 16 vs 13 and I'll buy it. There is just no way I'll believe 21 vs 13, everything being equal.

You don't have to believe me if you don't want. It was a short distance, so it wasn't a large sample, but it was the same loop, about 15 miles.

FYI, my wife had a Flex for the night, and on her 30 mile commute to work, the MPG meter showed considerably better (I don't remember exact numbers) than she gets in her Escape. Granted, it was a FWD Flex vs. a 4x4 Escape, but the Flex is a MUCH larger, more powerful, more comfortable vehicle.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought! I don't know much about the Transit Van. I read about Ford is bringing them in the US. And I looked at the Transit Van web site a little bit. A there any chance Ford will somehow make and fitting the small version Transit Van into the next generation Ford Minivan?

Transit is definitely larger than a "minivan". There's some potential in the Transit for use as a conversion van though...

• 11 months later...

I've seen a couple on the roads...but the dealers around me (3 close by) seem to be only carrying 1 at a time and they are either SE FWD or SEL AWD but with nothing in them. There are 500 new Escapes and Edge's on the road though haha. Dealers cannot keep them in stock ...1 escape left at the one dealership that had 13 two weeks ago...no complaints here!

The Flex is a HUGE success, where it was supposed to be. Basically, in markets that Ford has a very weak presence in. This would include the east, and left coasts.

Drive around Southern CA for a day, and marvel at the amount of Flex's that you see. Also marvel at the fact that they are mostly VERY high end

A polarizing design, like the Flex, will have a tendency to become very popular in areas where style is everthing. For the rest of the country, it will be a slower adjustment. However, it is making inroads. It has to, as it is just too good of a vehicle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in the booming metropolis of Payson AZ (14K population), our local Ford store had 2 Flex's for 6 months............... then in one month, they sold 6.

Woman came in with friend, and bought a Flex. Friend was so impressed with Flex that she bought one. Friends mother was so impressed, she bought one. Mothers friend was so impressed, she bought one............ and so on.

So now, there are Flex's everywhere in Payson. LOL

Trends tend to be a bit slow to hit the sticks.