i wanted to buy a Flex......honest

I was a kid not long ago.

Chime back in a couple years from now when you have kids, and have to take them in-and-out of car seats. Then a few years later when you have a few more and have to take family trips and the weekly run to the grocery store.

No offense, but you are commenting on a topic that you have no practical knowledge of.

Edited by Pioneer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chime back in a couple years from now when you have kids, and have to take them in-and-out of car seats. Then a few years later when you have a few more and have to take family trips and the weekly run to the grocery store.

No offense, but you are commenting on a topic that you have no practical knowledge of.

If you think that everyone makes decisions based solely on practicality, your quite wrong

BTW, Do you have kids?

Edited by suv_guy_19

Who cares how people USED to do it. If there is a better way to accomplish something, do you still do it the old, difficult way?

yes I drive a stick......wind up windows wouldn't bother me either....people are spoiled......and last I looked the width of Flexs door looks quite capable, especially if said seats are semi-permently mounted....and the more important height looks ok too.........let me put it this way....if I had kids it would NOT have been an issue...a grip perhaps but not enough to nix an important purchase on, the guy did the right thing buying a USED van, that way in the years it takes the kids to no longer REQUIRE car seats then it will NOT be as issue.....AND he won't have to drive a mini-van if he doesn't want too....and my guess is that will be the case....

hey i know you have, and inherited a few sproggins, but this is a question, and seriously NO sarcasm....the issue is the width of the door opening no?.....

if I had kids it would NOT have been an issue...

Well, I do have kids, and it is an issue. It's such an issue that the person that started this thread bought a competitor's product because of it. Don't think he's the only one either.

As a salesman, I can't believe you don't see this as a problem.

Oh joy, it's that lame "But sliders would make it a minivan" argument again.

There are those of us who do not like the minivan.

The sliding door was popularized by the minivan craze. This is why it is associated with minivans.

What cars out there have had sliding doors? None. Concepts yes, production no.

If sliding doors are as good as they are supposed to be, why do only vans/minivans have them?

Well, I do have kids, and it is an issue. It's such an issue that the person that started this thread bought a competitor's product because of it. Don't think he's the only one either.

As a salesman, I can't believe you don't see this as a problem.

I'm not as nitpicky as some....and bending over thru a door or a slider seems the same to me....if not please explain..and he bought USED ( smart move on a van )....the only advantage i see is being able to open the door in more confined parking...but tossing a kid around in such confined spaces wouldn't be a walk in the park either....

yes I drive a stick......wind up windows wouldn't bother me either....people are spoiled......and last I looked the width of Flexs door looks quite capable, especially if said seats are semi-permently mounted....and the more important height looks ok too.........let me put it this way....if I had kids it would NOT have been an issue...a grip perhaps but not enough to nix an important purchase on, the guy did the right thing buying a USED van, that way in the years it takes the kids to no longer REQUIRE car seats then it will NOT be as issue.....AND he won't have to drive a mini-van if he doesn't want too....and my guess is that will be the case....

I concur... I had kids yet I have never owned anything with more than 2 doors. Even the Jeep Cherokee we had while I was married was a 2 door. I never found it that difficult putting them into the car seats. It's all what someone wants to put up with.

The width of the opening isn't a problem, it's the door itself that get's in the way.

how? when one opens the door the kids are right there ( if you are on the right side of the door of course ) and one has something if necessary to prop up against when yankin out the screamer.....seriously though, I get requests on full size vans for the barn doors....some HATE the sliders due to them not staying open on slopes and some other issues.......they also say the barn doors have pretty mush the same size opening

Wait till next March when the Jeep lease is up. The wife likes the Caravan in orange with the "swivel-n-go". ;)

My point is that you did make due without sliders, as many others have. Sliders may be easier, but they are expensive and also share the stigma associated with minivans.

Have three kids, 12yr old, 4 yr old and 22 month old, the latter two in car seats. Take them to school and the sitter every day of the week in my old '02 F150 Scab or current '06 150 Screw, without sliding doors and with a lot more ground clearance than a Flex or mini-van. Has never been a problem getting the kids in or out. Wife does complain about the ground clearance but not the doors, so the Flex with normal doors and no sliders would be a non-issue to either of us.

Hate parking in tight spots, then find another spot. I'm one who hates when some idiot swings open their door and dents/scratches my truck. So I will always park in the back row, in the last/end spot where only the driver side door can be hit. Usually people are too lazy to walk that distance, but I'm not. So the tight confines of a parking space has never been an issue.

Now I do believe it's to each their own. Some like them, some don't. I don't like mini-vans personally, but the wife wants one after the Altima is paid for. The sliding doors makes no difference to me or her. It's the overall vehicle that usually sells us. If I drove a Caravan and Flex and liked the Flex better, there is no way I'd opt for the Caravan simply cause it had sliding doors. Others may go the other route, perfectly fine that's their option and their preference, their driving the vehicle.

To say the Flex would be better with sliding doors has no foundation. Sure it could have helped sales, then again it could have hurt sales, we'll never truely know. Now had Ford made it an option, that could have been a good thing and could increased potential sales. Those not wanting sliding doors and mini-van feel, could get normal doors. Those wanting the sliding doors, could add on the $1000-$2000 option.

Saying the Flex "NEEDS" sliding doors, is like saying it needs Lambo or Gull-Wing doors. They move up and out of the way, but are they pratical and fit the character of the vehicle?

wonder how the swivels will handle the kiddy durability tests....yehah!

My concern is more how the swivel seats lock up in an accident. Say you're seated facing either side of the van, and the driver broadsides someone or someone rear ends you. Does the seat lock in place or do you go spinning? There is no head or neck support for you in this situation, potentially leading to more serious accidents and worse whiplash symptoms.

I want to see the safety rating of the back seat riders in accidents with the swivel chairs in a multitude of different positions. Personally, I'll stick with my forward facing seats, no matter how cool the swivel chairs are or were back in the '80's in the big vans.

Edited by V8-X

My concern is more how the swivel seats lock up in an accident. Say you're seated facing either side of the van, and the driver broadsides someone or someone rear ends you. Does the seat lock in place or do you go spinning? There is now head or neck support for you in this situation, potentially leading to more serious accidents and worse whiplash symptoms.

What about the table option for the back area? Yeah, its cool on commercials but what happens in an accident?

My concern is more how the swivel seats lock up in an accident. Say you're seated facing either side of the van, and the driver broadsides someone or someone rear ends you. Does the seat lock in place or do you go spinning? There is now head or neck support for you in this situation, potentially leading to more serious accidents and worse whiplash symptoms.

dare say they tested the HELL out of them...at least one would hope so....I question the durabilty, swivels have been on boats for years and they wear after a while.....

We aren't there yet. I only said she liked it. Still trying to talk her out of it, but it will primarily be her vehicle so her decision is final.

hey, if its hers keep her happy....that means green light when its your time....( hopefully )....LOL!

hey, if its hers keep her happy....that means green light when its your time....( hopefully )....LOL!

Since my plant is closing, and all other Ford plants are further away than my current one (we will not move), it looks like another Focus for me. (unless Ford decides to build another small car in the States)

Since my plant is closing, and all other Ford plants are further away than my current one (we will not move), it looks like another Focus for me. (unless Ford decides to build another small car in the States)

hopefully by that time the Focus will be on the "global" ( read Verve like styling probably with a GREAT chassis/ drivetrain ) platform...so hopefully something to look forward too....good luck w the transition...are you staying w Ford?

What other vehicles have ever had a slider OR flip-out door option? The only ones I can think of are fullsize vans with completely rectangular door openings that are pretty easy to fit with either one. I don't think there's really a viable either/or solution for a vehicle laid out like the Flex. Would be pretty cool if they could find a way though.

Yeah...if you are going to go through the trouble to design both...just make peoples lives much easier and go with the sliders. No need to have both.

Saying the Flex "NEEDS" sliding doors, is like saying it needs Lambo or Gull-Wing doors.

No, the Flex doesn't need sliding doors, but look at what started this thread?

The Flex would be a better vehicle if it had sliding doors especially considering the target market (minivan buyers...)