i wanted to buy a Flex......honest

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the opinion of some. others on the other hand, wouldn't buy it BECAUSE of the sliders.

I suppose it depends on how the sliders were designed. They would need to be somehow unique to pique my interest as much as the rest of the car does. Hmmm...brainstorming.....

star trek swooshing sounds..........

:hysterical: You may be closer than you think. Look at Edstock's response. I saw it right after I posted above and I agree entirely. The sound of a minivan door closing is still so mechanical and clunky compared to the nice precise "thump" you get when closing a well-crafted hinged car door. Even the power sliders available aren't exactly quiet from my experience.

I remember growing up with my parents having just 2 door coupes, even to this day (sans Navi), they still have coupes. I didnt' have any issues getting into the back of them as a kid. Unfortunately, I see many people who just can't get "back there" to try and fasten their kids seatbelts, or placing them in the car seats, or anything like that. It's either, laziness, or they are simply fat. They aren't lazy or fat enough to have sex and get pregnant, but after they pop them, then it becomes "Well it's uncomfortable to get back there"...Uh Yeah....Throw a Milky Way back there and watch them dive for it.

I have friends too that "MUST" have the rear DVD entertainment package on their vehicles, "it quiets the kids down"... Personally, a good whack across the head, works just as well and it's cheaper...

I've pretty much heard every possible excuse... ;)

I like the Flex as is. I have been driving Explorers since '90. I don't want a minivan and have no interest in a Flex with sliders. Lots of families with young kids have SUVs. My cousin has 4 boys, 2 still in car seats. He drives a Yukon Denali and his wife has a Navigator. They had a Montana and hated it, Neither one will drive a minivan. They are looking at a Flex. I have another friend with 2 kids who drives a Mercedes GL SUV her husband has a Lexus RX. They wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan.

Are minivans useful? Sure but there are lots of buyers who aren't interested in one. Ford had a pretty good minivan with the Windstar. The Explorer outsold it by a wide margin. Honda and Chrysler have the minivan market sewn up. It makes far more sense for Ford to create a new market than to battle for one that is crowded.

Sliders: I like the practicality, I don't like the feel opening and closing and sliding, and electric drive adds cost and weight; also the sound as they open and close. :)

The Flex weighs too much already...so who cares if the sliding door motors add a few pounds? The superior functionality outweighs (no pun intended...) pretty much every argument against having such a door.

The Flex weighs too much already...so who cares if the sliding door motors add a few pounds?

Oh yeah, so it already weighs too much....and adding more weight will make it better....because.....?

The superior functionality outweighs (no pun intended...) pretty much every argument against having such a door.

I suppose that would be true.....if everyone thought like you.

Oh yeah, so it already weighs too much....and adding more weight will make it better....because.....?

THE-STATION-WAGON-WOULD-BE-MORE-USABLE-FOR-THE-CUSTOMERS.

.....if everyone thought like you.

Well...Honda sure did. Tell me, why did Honda, in 1999, redesign the Odyssey with sliding doors? Surely they could have saved money and weight and keep the regular doors right? But why did they change? Was it because the sliding door is superior to a conventional door? Tell me.

Well...Honda sure did. Tell me, why did Honda, in 1999, redesign the Odyssey with sliding doors? Surely they could have saved money and weight and keep the regular doors right? But why did they change? Was it because the sliding door is superior to a conventional door? Tell me.

It was because of the fact that at the time, it had none of the usability of a minivan, and none of the cool factor of an SUV. The Flex has the cool factor x10 and a really well thought out interior to go with it.

Because they didn't sell for crap. Neither did the Mazda MPV or Mitsubishi Expo. More so because they were too small than due to not having sliding doors. The MPV and Odyssey became proper minivans in their next generations.

If you think about it, with all of the similar vehicles that are out now, the first Odyssey, MPV, and Expo were somewhat ahead of their time.

I bet half the people here saying it needs sliders would be bashing it for being another minivan with sliders if it did come with them. Argument for the sake of argument.

I got 2 kids in car seats in and out of Pontiac Vibe no problem. I will concede that sliders on a minivan make for easier entry but life isn't 100% about ease of use.

How many people here have a sliding door on the front of thier house? It is supposidly superior and would make getting things in and out easier no? Well its most likely because we do not want our houses to look like a common supermarket. There is a classiness factor that is lost with the sliders. They convey ultility, no style. Ford went for those who favor more style in the style/utility balance. Just like we do by putting a nice hinged door on the front of our houses. If one our neighbors put a slider on their house, we all be claiming it looked low rent.

Why don't all SUVs have sliders? Wht don't the Acadia and Highlander have sliders? That's right...we need to stoke the fire on the Ford forums.

No, the Flex doesn't need sliding doors, but look at what started this thread?

The Flex would be a better vehicle if it had sliding doors especially considering the target market (minivan buyers...)

Yes the Flax may be partly targeted towards mini van owners, but I'm sure it's also targeted at the CUV market as well. What is a better seller in today's market, the mini-van or the CUV? And how many CUV's have sliding doors?

Like I stated in the original post, sometimes sliding doors would detract from the cars character, style and appeal. Sliding doors to many people says "mini-van" and today most people don't want the stigma of being known as the person driving a mini-van. It may be an ego thing, whether that's a problem or not, who cares. You like it great, you don't you don't. Why worry about whether another person likes/dislikes a mini-van for whatever reason. My wife wants a mini-van, I'm all for it. But if she came back and wanted a CUV instead, that wouldn't bother me. It's her choice, no matter her motive.

Again, the sliding door option would have been a nice option, but only an option. The doors as they are should be standard, as more people are likely to opt for a CUV looking station wagon/CUV than they would a mini-van looking station wagon/CUV. If you doubt this thought process, just look at the 90's and the 00's, how many people jumped from mini-vans to an SUV or simply opted for an SUV over a mini-van? Who cares what reason they did it for, that was still their rightful choice. Sales don't lie.

I remember growing up with my parents having just 2 door coupes, even to this day (sans Navi), they still have coupes. I didnt' have any issues getting into the back of them as a kid. Unfortunately, I see many people who just can't get "back there" to try and fasten their kids seatbelts, or placing them in the car seats, or anything like that. It's either, laziness, or they are simply fat. They aren't lazy or fat enough to have sex and get pregnant, but after they pop them, then it becomes "Well it's uncomfortable to get back there"...Uh Yeah....Throw a Milky Way back there and watch them dive for it.

I have friends too that "MUST" have the rear DVD entertainment package on their vehicles, "it quiets the kids down"... Personally, a good whack across the head, works just as well and it's cheaper...

I've pretty much heard every possible excuse... ;)

This is true. Just amazing how lazy people are in today's age and the lack of safety for their kids simply because they don't want to. Always insure my kids are buckled in nice and tight, and after my accident with the two oldest in the truck, I usually double check before leaving anywhere now.

I do have a DVD system in the 150, but I've grown to hate it. Bought it for X-Mas for the kids, since they've always wanted one. Problem I have is I don't get to chat with them or hear about their day while in the car or play games with them on road trips like my parents did with me. Many times I refuse to turn it on for them so I can talk to them rather than them zoning out at the TV.

There are mulititudes of reasons why sliders are superior if you value practicality.

There is no way I want my son slamming the rear car door into the side of my 67 Galaxie in the garage.

You can also stay out of the rain when you are buckling kids into seats.

You can also load the rear seats all from one side of the vehicle, by climbing into the vehicle.

You can open the door in the parking lot of the grocery store without worrying whether your grocery cart will be blocked by the open rear door.

On the Corolla, the door opening is not big enough to put the baby into the rear seat with the base installed.

With a sliding door on a small minivan like the Mazda 5, that is not an issue.

Right now the Grand Marquis is the family truckster, but once I get it back from my wife, a minivan with sliding doors is the only realistic option. (Well, another Grand Marquis would be an option, but she wants something shorter.)

The only real choice is a Mazda 5, but only the Sport trim level - the others are too expensive for a knocking around the suburbs kind of car.

The Flex weighs too much already...so who cares if the sliding door motors add a few pounds? The superior functionality outweighs (no pun intended...) pretty much every argument against having such a door.

Sure the superior functionality does outweigh the added weight for such doors. But, sales trump functionality. So again looking at mini-van and CUV sales, I feel FMC went the right route in the sales dept by offering normal doors over the slider. Bigger market buying CUV than MVs, so more potential customers.

THE-STATION-WAGON-WOULD-BE-MORE-USABLE-FOR-THE-CUSTOMERS.

No one is arguing the functionaliyt or usability of the sliding doors. We're looking at sales and which option more customers are likely to purchase. Again Ford is in business to make sales, not to make a more functional vehicle that won't sale as well.

And exactly how many people purchased the Odyssey soley because Honda put sliding doors on it? Sure they changed the doors, but there is no verifyable proof that their sales increased due to the simple fact it now had sliders. Could it possibly be due to the fact the new version was better than the old version? Could it be it was a better MV than every other MV on the market?

The Flex has the cool factor x10 and a really well thought out interior to go with it.

So, you think it is a good business plan to sacrifice usability for the customer in the name the vehicles "cool factor"?? That has to be the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

God forbid the Ford "engineers" put down their T-squares and actually designed a sliding door that fit the personality (if a box can even have one...) of the vehicle. Does the vehicle need a useless refrigerator in it??? No...that money would have been better spent designing sliding doors that actually make the "minivan replacement" more usable for the customer. Is it easier to push a button and have your doors open, or fumble around with kids and groceries while trying to open a conventional door?

So, you think it is a good business plan to sacrifice usability for the customer in the name the vehicles "cool factor"?? That has to be the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

God forbid the Ford "engineers" put down their T-squares and actually designed a sliding door that fit the personality (if a box can even have one...) of the vehicle. Does the vehicle need a useless refrigerator in it??? No...that money would have been better spent designing sliding doors that actually make the "minivan replacement" more usable for the customer. Is it easier to push a button and have your doors open, or fumble around with kids and groceries while trying to open a conventional door?

still picking at any ford scab you can i see P, and jumping on any negetive bandwagon full blast....refer is an option...answer to your retort...DON"T check the damn box.....hope you have a great time replacing all your doors at home with electric sliders....