i wanted to buy a Flex......honest

So, you think it is a good business plan to sacrifice usability for the customer in the name the vehicles "cool factor"?? That has to be the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

If automakers never sacrificed usability in the name of "cool factor", we would never have had sports cars or pony cars.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you think it is a good business plan to sacrifice usability for the customer in the name the vehicles "cool factor"?? That has to be the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

God forbid the Ford "engineers" put down their T-squares and actually designed a sliding door that fit the personality (if a box can even have one...) of the vehicle. Does the vehicle need a useless refrigerator in it??? No...that money would have been better spent designing sliding doors that actually make the "minivan replacement" more usable for the customer. Is it easier to push a button and have your doors open, or fumble around with kids and groceries while trying to open a conventional door?

then buy a mini van that does and shut the hell up...enjoy looking so "cool".........

There are mulititudes of reasons why sliders are superior if you value practicality.

There is no way I want my son slamming the rear car door into the side of my 67 Galaxie in the garage.

You can also stay out of the rain when you are buckling kids into seats.

You can also load the rear seats all from one side of the vehicle, by climbing into the vehicle.

You can open the door in the parking lot of the grocery store without worrying whether your grocery cart will be blocked by the open rear door.

On the Corolla, the door opening is not big enough to put the baby into the rear seat with the base installed.

With a sliding door on a small minivan like the Mazda 5, that is not an issue.

Right now the Grand Marquis is the family truckster, but once I get it back from my wife, a minivan with sliding doors is the only realistic option. (Well, another Grand Marquis would be an option, but she wants something shorter.)

The only real choice is a Mazda 5, but only the Sport trim level - the others are too expensive for a knocking around the suburbs kind of car.

1) Teach your son how to properly open a door. My 4yr old daughter knows not to hit the car next to us. Teaching this to my 2yr old son currently. Have a 150 & Altima that must fit in the garage together. Kids have learned not to hit mommies car.

2) Seem to stay out of the rain when buckling my kids up. Mostly just my shoes get wet in these situations. Even if we do get wet, how long does it take to buckle them up, 20 seconds?

3) Seems you can do the same in an SUV by climbing in. Don't see the validity here.

4) Don't get this one. So do you put your groceries in the font seat? Otherwise how would the rear door block the cart? Also, most people I know put their groceries in the rear hatch or rear seat floorboard.

5) Bad comparison, Corolla vs MV/CUV. Most Corollas are considerably smaller than their MV/CUV counterparts. Don't understand your car seat "base" part. So is the base already strapped in the rear seat, or is the base attached to your car seat prior to putting into the car? The base should already be properly strapped into the back seat prior to installing the car seat. My mothers '96 Sentra, my wifes stepfathers Kia Spectra or even my wifes last car a '98 Cavalier have never had issues with fitting any of our kids baby car seats with a base. If the base is attached to the car seat and won't fit through the door, then take the base off and install the base first, this is the proper way to install car seats with a base. Even in that scenerio, the base isn't any wider than the widest portion of the car seat itself.

No offense, but having the three kids I do and never having any of the problems you describe tells me it's not the doors that are the problem.

1) Teach your son how to properly open a door. My 4yr old daughter knows not to hit the car next to us. Teaching this to my 2yr old son currently. Have a 150 & Altima that must fit in the garage together. Kids have learned not to hit mommies car.

2) Seem to stay out of the rain when buckling my kids up. Mostly just my shoes get wet in these situations. Even if we do get wet, how long does it take to buckle them up, 20 seconds?

3) Seems you can do the same in an SUV by climbing in. Don't see the validity here.

4) Don't get this one. So do you put your groceries in the font seat? Otherwise how would the rear door block the cart? Also, most people I know put their groceries in the rear hatch or rear seat floorboard.

5) Bad comparison, Corolla vs MV/CUV. Most Corollas are considerably smaller than their MV/CUV counterparts. Don't understand your car seat "base" part. So is the base already strapped in the rear seat, or is the base attached to your car seat prior to putting into the car? The base should already be properly strapped into the back seat prior to installing the car seat. My mothers '96 Sentra, my wifes stepfathers Kia Spectra or even my wifes last car a '98 Cavalier have never had issues with fitting any of our kids baby car seats with a base. If the base is attached to the car seat and won't fit through the door, then take the base off and install the base first, this is the proper way to install car seats with a base. Even in that scenerio, the base isn't any wider than the widest portion of the car seat itself.

No offense, but having the three kids I do and never having any of the problems you describe tells me it's not the doors that are the problem.

y'know, I can see how it could be an annoyance/ inconveinience to some....but there are a few here that constantly ride on the coatails of ANY negetivity and blow the seriousness of the issue WAY, WAY out of proportion....they obviously work for the National Enquirer judging by their overblown reactions...

Yes, we would...because they are purpose built.

The Flex is Ford's purpose built minivan replacement.

sort of...could also be construed as a more economical Tahoe/ Expedition/ Freelander/ Pilot equivalent/ replacement...NONE of which has your blessed sliders....or bug screens for that matter

Edited by Deanh

It's purpose is as a more stylish alternative to minivans. That doesn't necessarily mean it needs to emulate everything that a minivan is. If that were the case, they would have just designed a minivan.

BRING BACK THE WINDSTAR AND FREESTAR....if not just to make P happy...it had sliders ...THATS the most important thing...it outweighs the fact it was a big pile of stylistic and mechanical CRAP!....sliders sure didn't help ITS sales did it?

BRING BACK THE WINDSTAR AND FREESTAR....if not just to make P happy...it had sliders ...THATS the most important thing...it outweighs the fact it was a big pile of stylistic and mechanical CRAP!

Much like the Flex...

....sliders sure didn't help ITS sales did it?

I think Ford abandoning the minivan market all together had a little bit bigger impact on the Wind/Freestar sales than it's sliding doors.

Much like the Flex...

I think Ford abandoning the minivan market all together had a little bit bigger impact on the Wind/Freestar sales than it's sliding doors.

yeah right P...the drivetrains are exactly the same huh?, as are chassis....in fact side by side the similarities are astounding....hell, ITS JUST A MAKEOVER FOR CHRISTS sake, how can ford get away with that.....abandon?...perhaps....realizing a dwindling market for the investment probably a more sane accurate guess ........

The Flex is Ford's purpose built minivan replacement.

Here's a clue-by-4 for all of you who really think that this statement is true.

Check out the Ford Flex web site. Check out all the pages. Watch the videos. Go to youtube and check out the Flex commercials.

Notice the bright, neon colors. Notice the wet roads. See the really dark sky.

Notice that there aren't a husband, wife, 2.3 kids, and a dog anywhere.

Ford does not have, and probably never had, any notion that the Flex is their entry into the minivan market. It is, as they said, a "people mover." That doesn't mean the aforementioned middle-class family. Think: several people on a business trip. Imagine: three couples going to a restaurant/night club/cocktail party.

It's not for hauling your kids to the grocery store, it's for you snobs (you know who you are! - oh, not you P) to impress more than 3 of your closest friends or coworkers.

It's an upscale sedan with an extra-long roof (Vista-, if you wish). Soccer moms or dads need not apply.

As to a true minivan, remember that the last one Ford had any success selling was the Aerostar, and that was mostly due to word-of-mouth. The Windstar and Freestar sales sucked big-time. I doubt Ford has any intention of going back there.

...There is just no way around the convenience of a minivan for access. I could have lived without the extra room behind the third seat. The rear seat access is comparable if you get the buckets in the middle row. The one thing that was the hangup was the sliding doors. We ended up getting a used minivan and I am not sorry. After going to the store and getting the kids and a car seat out of the vehicle I realized how great the sliders are.

Don't feel bad ! I have several friends who are on their 3rd or 4th minivan. Some are dedicated Ford buyer (because they work their). All have said the lack of sliding doors was a deal breaker. When you kids get a bit older you will love the power doors and power tail gate.

Don't feel bad ! I have several friends who are on their 3rd or 4th minivan. Some are dedicated Ford buyer (because they work their). All have said the lack of sliding doors was a deal breaker. When you kids get a bit older you will love the power doors and power tail gate.

I can see the point no problem...but check out the opening of the second door in the Flex...its huge...starve the kids and everyone wins....

Your friends with kids who are in the target market for the Flex (minivan buyers) are wrong. The arm-chair CEOs on BON said so.

Your friends with kids who are in the target market for the Flex (minivan buyers) are wrong. The arm-chair CEOs on BON said so.

everyone bow to P...must be frustrating being the ONLY one correct all the time......he left the mountain top because the Dali lama was an idiot........

everyone bow to P...must be frustrating being the ONLY one correct all the time......he left the mountain top because the Dali lama was an idiot........

Yeah, amazing how the guy dogs every new Ford product, can't seem to stand them, but some how knows everything about every product Ford ever produced and the reason/purpose they were built.

Yeah, amazing how the guy dogs every new Ford product, can't seem to stand them, but some how knows everything about every product Ford ever produced and the reason/purpose they were built.

annoying sometimes yes, but gives a great release for pent up sarcasm..........