Are you at a disadvantage if you don't have navigation on your FEH?

neuroboy002

Hello,

I'm expecting my FEHL and day now. I ordered it without the GPS Navigation system since I couldn't swallow the extra $2500+. I understand that not only is the navigation top of the line, but it also allows the driver to monitor the energy flow of the car or how much is being powered by gas vs. electricity. If you didn't get navigation, how would one monitor this? I am no where near experienced with hybrids and am wondering what to expect. Is there anything on the driver's dashboard to pay attention to?

Edited by neuroboy002

Hello,

I'm expecting my FEHL and day now. I ordered it without the GPS Navigation system since I couldn't swallow the extra $2500+. I understand that not only is the navigation top of the line, but it also allows the driver to monitor the energy flow of the car or how much is being powered by gas vs. electricity. If you didn't get navigation, how would one monitor this? I am no where near experienced with hybrids and am wondering what to expect. Is there anything on the driver's dashboard to pay attention to?

http://goontheroad.com/wp-content/uploads/...cape-hyb020.jpg

See ther green gauge up top, it will tell you - also the tachometer will drop below 0 when ICE is off .. finally - you will hear it - the 2.3l was quite noisy in the 08's - I do not expect the 2.5l in the 09's to be any different

Igor

See ther green gauge up top, it will tell you - also the tachometer will drop below 0 when ICE is off .. finally - you will hear it - the 2.3l was quite noisy in the 08's - I do not expect the 2.5l in the 09's to be any different

Igor

Thanks for the link. It looks very functional but a whole lot more boring than the navigation screen. I'll keep that $2500 in my pocket though.

I seldom to never use my energy flow monitor.. mostly Nav or Sirius channel surfing. Although I would want to have the ability to know my battery level in case I run out of gas and need to limp to a gas station in EV mode. If the MMH-FEH is anything like the Prius, completely draining the battery could void its warranty. The Prius energy flow monittor is 10 times better IMO.

Igor

Thanks for sharing the pic - really good to know that the tachometer drops below 0. I am in the same boat with neuroboy - it looks like a really really nice navigation system but I just can't justify the cost. Especially since we're all buying it instead of leasing.

Thanks for sharing the pic - really good to know that the tachometer drops below 0. I am in the same boat with neuroboy - it looks like a really really nice navigation system but I just can't justify the cost. Especially since we're all buying it instead of leasing.

So a few posters on here have said that they hardly use their energy flow monitor so it must not make a huge difference when they drive. Another poster brought up a good point that it would be nice to know how far you can coast on EV if you are low on gas. Overall, I just think it is a nice option to have but it's disconcerting that it's not standard for the FEH, let alone the FEHL, as opposed to a Prius. In other words, "screw the navigation" since I can always buy a decent portable GPS elsewhere but it would be fitting or helpful if Ford followed the lead of other companies by making the monitor standard on their hybrids as well. I don't even plan on subscribing to Sirius when the introductory months have expired. I really just wanted the moon roof.

:stirpot: Screw the navigation, but give me the monitor.

So a few posters on here have said that they hardly use their energy flow monitor so it must not make a huge difference when they drive. Another poster brought up a good point that it would be nice to know how far you can coast on EV if you are low on gas. Overall, I just think it is a nice option to have but it's disconcerting that it's not standard for the FEH, let alone the FEHL, as opposed to a Prius. In other words, "screw the navigation" since I can always buy a decent portable GPS elsewhere but it would be fitting or helpful if Ford followed the lead of other companies by making the monitor standard on their hybrids as well. I don't even plan on subscribing to Sirius when the introductory months have expired. I really just wanted the moon roof.

I used to have an Escape Hybrid before it was damaged in an accident and I had all the features including the Nav. I found that the first two-three weeks I used the energy flow monitor, but then hardly ever used it again for the rest of the time that I had the vehicle which was about a year. Back in 2005 the battery replacement was so expensive when it was damaged and they were offering employee pricing I made out on trading in. Now that replacement costs of batteries are down from 10k to 3k I have placed an order for a FEHL without the Nav. After all with the Sync system you can plug in a USB nav system into the vehicle and still have voice activated navigation. Good luck on weighing the pros and cons of the nav system. I still think a 200-300$ system from your local store would give you the same maps you are looking for from the $2500-$3000 nav system you can order with the Escape.

It seems to me that the NAV system was about $2,200 extra. The 2009 NAV system is much more powerful than the older systems. It has Sirius TravelLink system. The maps are now stored on a hard drive. The NAV system also includes a 7 speaker with sub woofer audio system made by Sony. It has the 10 GB Jukebox feature so you can rip CD's right in the car which is probably why they don't have a 6 CD changer in this system. I actually never use the CD Changer in my Ford Five Hundred so I prefer a single CD unit. The new NAV will also play DVD which you can watch if the car is still. You can still listen to the audio when driving.

So I think the new NAV system has quite a bit more to offer than the older units.

Jim

I agree completely! I don't like the fact that they combined the monitor with the navigation system. It's just not acceptable that the Prius, at a lower cost, would offer the monitor and not the FEHL for $30K+. And the text based gauges are just not very impressive... why can't ford just come up with a text screen that has better font or looks smarter than what the taurus had in the late 90s? I'm glad to see that Ford has a lot of progress in its products in the last few years, but they sure have long ways to go.

I complain but I'm still waitlisting...

It is possible to install a third party in-dash navigational/DVD/radio headunit, plus a backup camera, 4 channel amplifier, new third party speakers and scanguage II unit at less cost than the Ford OEM unit. The scanguage would replace the Ford OEM hybrid display information.

It is possible to install a third party in-dash navigational/DVD/radio headunit, plus a backup camera, 4 channel amplifier, new third party speakers and scanguage II unit at less cost than the Ford OEM unit. The scanguage would replace the Ford OEM hybrid display information.

I sucked it up and paid for all the extras!!! YIKES!!! but, I figured, what's the use of a hybrid if you can't have a little techno-fun.

I can't wait to get it, but it will be several months I am sure.

I bet it will take me a few weeks to really understand all the featuers and gadgets... all part of the fun!!!!

Yeah but then you have wires and uncoordinated equipment all over your dash, and you lose some aesthetic value and ease of use to be sure. I used to be an aftermarket kind of guy when it came to AV stuff, but these days I'd rather just buy a good factory system. It's a better overall AV experience if you ask me. And this system in the Fords is quite nice for the price, IMO.