FORD FLEX SAVES FUEL DURING DECELERATION WHILE MAINTAINING BEST-IN-CLASS DRIVEABILITY

range

Weight...the price you pay for safety, features, etc. And it gets the same (or better) fuel economy than the competition. What's the problem? You make it sound as if, since they are not better than all, they are the worst. As the article says, there is nothing else in its class with better fuel economy!!!!
No one else can beat it and it has 5-star safety ratings. It has best [claimed] driveability too. It wasn't designed to be an ultra-mpg econobox. It was designed for people who prioritize safety over economy. For a family with older kids & teens the Flex seems fantastic. Would you prefer people carry their kids around in tin-can 1990 era Japanese cars? If there's room for more advanced steel/ materials for the same price, I think Ford would have used it.

The prices aren't cheap, but they are moderate and very comparable to the minivans/crossovers they compete against.

How much did the Freestyle weigh with it's highest possible five star rating in both the government's frontal and side impact crash test modes? Thats right...4100 pounds.

Click

Wait until the Ecoboost engines emerge.

There are those two words again...

P71, I see you haven't changed one iota either. I see another ban coming.

Banned because I think the Flex is extremely overweight and costs too much??? Are you going to ban retro-man as well? He thinks it is overweight...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much did the Freestyle weigh with it's highest possible five star rating in both the government's frontal and side impact crash test modes? Thats right...4100 pounds.

Click

Are you comparing specs to like vehicles? In other words, were they both AWD, did the Freestyle have a Fridge, navigation, side curtain airbags. I know the Flex has a larger engine. The Flex has larger wheels.

Plus, the Flex is larger with much more leg room, features, and amenities. Compare comparably equipped vehicles and then get back to us with some hard facts.

I know the Flex has a larger engine.

Flex and Taurus X both use the same 3.5 Duratec V6.

That said, I'm not sure where he's getting 4800 lbs from.

Autoweek and Leftlanenews list curb weight as 4498 on a FWD.

About.com lists curb weight as 4468 for a FWD, 4640 for an AWD.

Most published weighs for the Taurus X are around 4050 for FWD, 4250 for AWD.

Not a huge difference considering the added size of the Flex (~2 inches longer, ~5 inches wider, ~1 inch taller)

Edited by NickF1011

All that technology and it can only muster 24MPG.

If Ford wasn't so insistent on making their vehicles heavier than the competition, the Flex would have much better mileage. But 4800 pounds for a limited is way too much...much like it's price.

ok, wheres the 4800lb's coming from?.........AWD Limited with ALL options has a shipping weight of 4500, and thats complete with HEAVY Vista roof....ALL WHEEL DRIVE etc etc....so lets fill up the gas tank and add a driver??????? an SE is about 4300lb...still probably too heavy for the gripers but weight is more of an issue in sports/ performance cars where pork is NOT beneficial....then again they would probably weigh the same if designed for 7 passengers......and P, glad to have you back...but remember the Flex STARTS at sub 30k with AMPLE equipment....

Probably not.

The Decel Fuel Shut Off algorithm was re-written a year or so ago (meaning it took this long to show up in production). This version is "more aggressive" and produces better results for the customer. Yes, it should be in all Ford vehicles within the next year or so.

Not saying it's the same mapping as Flex, but very lean fuel during decelleration was used until OBDII came along. Nice to see they've figured out how to map this way and still be OBD compliant.

Flex and Taurus X both use the same 3.5 Duratec V6.

That said, I'm not sure where he's getting 4800 lbs from.

Autoweek and Leftlanenews list curb weight as 4498 on a FWD.

About.com lists curb weight as 4468 for a FWD, 4640 for an AWD.

Most published weighs for the Taurus X are around 4050 for FWD, 4250 for AWD.

Not a huge difference considering the added size of the Flex (~2 inches longer, ~5 inches wider, ~1 inch taller)

He mentioned Freestyle which is why I mentioned the different engine. But the rest of your points do even more to point out his ability to make up "facts".

Click

There are those two words again...

Banned because I think the Flex is extremely overweight and costs too much??? Are you going to ban retro-man as well? He thinks it is overweight...

Welcome back P-71

I don't see anyone rebutting my assertions about mpg with the Flex, nor have I seen an argument why someone (except those looking to carry 7 people on a regular basis) would choose the Flex over a minivan or trade an gas guzzling SUV in on a Flex.

Maybe it will become the vehicle to have for taxi companies.

I don't see anyone rebutting my assertions about mpg with the Flex, nor have I seen an argument why someone (except those looking to carry 7 people on a regular basis) would choose the Flex over a minivan or trade an gas guzzling SUV in on a Flex.

You obviously skipped my response then. Typical. :finger:

You obviously missed mine too. :banghead:

I heard that Ford is planning on puting Flex bodies, (minus suspension and drivetrain) on top of Panther frames. Gives it a kind of 4X4 look, but it should do well in Taxi service

:headscratch: That's just bizarre. Not that Ford is planning that, because they obviously aren't, but that you would post something like that.

I feel like comparing here.

My Ranger Vs the Flex.

Ranger has 100hp LESS than a Flex.

Seats only 2. well, two and a child of 3 is possible in the middle seat, but its way too tight even then.

Gets the SAME milage as a Flex at 17/24

Has a 5 speed manual.

Has a 3.0L V6 which is obviously smaller than the Flex's engine.

The Ranger weighs about 1,000lbs LESS than the Flex too. Maybe more.

My particular Ranger has power nothing in it either. No bells and whistles, no stability control, no leather seats, it rattles over bumps, its reliable as can be though.

Yet, it does no better in economy than the Flex despite less weight, less power and less price. 17/24 has been fine with me. I get over 21 without issue all the time. Getting the same milage in a much larger vehicle is amazing especially when you take into the account its capabilities and features.

Thats whats lacking, people being spouters of 'truth' fail to see beyond their own biases as well as those on this site that do drink the Ford-aid. At the end of the day, the Flex IS right at the top of its class with the Fuel economy ratings. So i dont see how being up at the top equates failure.

Didn't learn anything did you? This will not be discussed here.

What was I supposed to learn???

ANd...YOU are the one who brought it up. If you don't want it talked about...don't bring it up.

ok, wheres the 4800lb's coming from?.........AWD Limited with ALL options has a shipping weight of 4500, and thats complete with HEAVY Vista roof....ALL WHEEL DRIVE etc etc....so lets fill up the gas tank and add a driver??????? an SE is about 4300lb...still probably too heavy for the gripers but weight is more of an issue in sports/ performance cars where pork is NOT beneficial....then again they would probably weigh the same if designed for 7 passengers......and P, glad to have you back...but remember the Flex STARTS at sub 30k with AMPLE equipment....

Right here:

And the top-of-the-line Flex Limited AWD, as tested here, weighs 4844 pounds.

Click!

He mentioned Freestyle which is why I mentioned the different engine. But the rest of your points do even more to point out his ability to make up "facts".

See above. I'm not making ANYTHING up.

Welcome back P-71

Thanks man!

What was I supposed to learn???

ANd...YOU are the one who brought it up. If you don't want it talked about...don't bring it up.

Right here:

Click!

so the 300lb discrepency is either a FAT tester inside the car at the weigh station or full tank..........I REPEAT...shipping weight 4500 and change.....

Thanks man!

... bunch of crap snipped ...

Right here:

Click!

... bunch of crap snipped ...

Where is the Freestyle you are comparing it to? Since I will assume you are comparing to the base model Freestyle to make your argument look better, the Freestyle does (did) not have:

Fridge

Vista Roof

3.5L

AWD

Navigation system

DVD entertainment system

Power folding second row

Power lift gate

19 inch wheels

dual zone electronic automatic temperature control

as much width

as much length

as much room

as many luxury and comfort items

And you are complaining about a 700 lbs in weight difference?

Where is the Freestyle you are comparing it to? Since I will assume you are comparing to the base model Freestyle to make your argument look better, the Freestyle does (did) not have:

Fridge

Vista Roof

3.5L

AWD

Navigation system

DVD entertainment system

Power folding second row

Power lift gate

19 inch wheels

dual zone electronic automatic temperature control

as much width

as much length

as much room

as many luxury and comfort items

And you are complaining about a 700 lbs in weight difference?

just me, or is everyone/ anyone else experiencing BON issues...man yesterday was grey screen day....P, where do you think the extra 300lbs is on the flex? did the reveiwer ( fat? ) stay in the car at the weigh station?..............I repeat...shipping weight 4500 and change....perhaps a full tank weighs 300lbs...who knows.....