FORD FLEX SAVES FUEL DURING DECELERATION WHILE MAINTAINING BEST-IN-CLASS DRIVEABILITY

range

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You going to discipline any of the others that do the exact same thing? Or just continue to ignore it and pretend it's not happening.

sorry P ...big difference between those that OCCASIONALLY partake in antagonistic argumentative practices topped with the odd insult to get a rise, and those that seemingly know no different...in this case I would consider it self induced....

You don't have to need a vehicle to carry 7 passengers.

Take for instance the family with 3 young children. Here in Missouri, as well as others I'm sure, children have to be in a booster seat until age 8 or 80 pounds. Now, it is not uncommon to have 3 children under age 8. What is uncommon is the number of vehicles that can fit 3 car seats across the second row and still have room to buckle/unbuckle the boosters. There are many who just don't WANT a minivan, or who NEED (or WANT) all wheel drive.

That is our predicament, hence the reason we have ordered a Flex. Our 3 year old and newborn (in January) will sit in the center row where we can easily access and buckle them, and our 5 year old who can buckle herself will sit in the back. With bucket seats and without a console in the second row, it's a perfect walk-way to get to the back without the need to move a carseat to flip a second row seat forward. How many (non-minivan) vehicles offer that and enough leg-room in the second row to get past a car seat?

If you would open your mind and quit arguing for the sake of arguing (like several others on here), you could see where the Flex fits in and is an ideal vehicle for many.

Are you going to use the latch connectors for the second row middle seat? Current Flex doesn't have latch in the middle seat/second row. The salesman told me that Ford will offer an update before the next model year and that feature may be included.

That's the main reason I'm holding on to my Sienna, it has the widest second row I know of (at least in 05') and my next youngin' will arrive in a month.

Are you going to use the latch connectors for the second row middle seat? Current Flex doesn't have latch in the middle seat/second row. The salesman told me that Ford will offer an update before the next model year and that feature may be included.

That's the main reason I'm holding on to my Sienna, it has the widest second row I know of (at least in 05') and my next youngin' will arrive in a month.

Expedition's are wider then Siena's. ;)

Will that be your second child? You don't know how easy one kid is until you have two, or three. We have 3,and life is never dull...

I'd much rather take my chances in a Flex over a Caprice wagon when it comes to an accident, not to mention the Flex doesn't look like an upside down bathtub...

No, the Flex doesn't look like an upside down bathtub, but it does looking like a lowered Range Rover with a mini-cooper paint job.

Interestingly, your Dads ECU was probably mapped to run very lean during decelleration just like this Flex.

OBDII changed all that forcing cars to run richer than nessesary @ part or no throttle. This is one of the reasons todays cars don't get as good of mpg as your Dads Caprice.

Nice to see that the powertrain guys are figuring out how to meet emmissions and still improve efficiency. Same learning curve we had back in the 80"s.

No alas it is not, however it was set to run on actual unleaded gasoline, not this reformulated, emissions friendly, ethanol laced puke they are forcing down our tanks in 2008. And I can only assume it got even better gas mileage on actual unleaded gasoline since I know for fact and from experience all of mine B-body sedans took a MPG hit with the ethanol stuff.

Can you put adults in all 8 seating positions, and have room left over to put a little luggage and such?

Yes.

And how the hell does the Flex cost too much?

Price a Taurus X, or look up what the MSRP was on the Freestyle for starters. Then factor in deals on Expeditions etc......

You going to discipline any of the others that do the exact same thing?
I want the warning clear and publicly stated as precedent.

Namecalling and personal attacks seem to work. Start a thread and take a vote, actually there might already be one around here somewhere....

Before I forget:

1192323589656.gif

Edited by Armada Master

Expedition's are wider then Siena's. ;)

Will that be your second child? You don't know how easy one kid is until you have two, or three. We have 3,and life is never dull...

Oh that's true, I meant amongst car/minivans.

And it's our 3rd. They're all within 4 years of eachother and they all require some kind of child seat. The fact that the Flex doesn't use a latch system in the middle/second row means we'd have to continually access the third row for one of the kids. Something which we didn't want to do. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit for a Flex (or a Taurus wagon if they ever make one).

Since Ford owns Volvo, you'd think they'd offer built-in booster seats at least for the older children.

Oh well, little by little....

No, the Flex doesn't look like an upside down bathtub, but it does looking like a lower Range Rover with a mini-cooper paint job.

Dude, where I'm from that's tight!, which is why we have a Chip FOOSE Custom Flex!

Edited by joihan777

No, the Flex doesn't look like an upside down bathtub, but it does looking like a lower Range Rover with a mini-cooper paint job.

No alas it is not, however it was set to run on actual unleaded gasoline, not this reformulated, emissions friendly, ethanol laced puke they are forcing down our tanks in 2008. And I can only assume it got even better gas mileage on actual unleaded gasoline since I know for fact and from experience all of mine B-body sedans took a MPG hit with the ethanol stuff.

Yes.

Price a Taurus X, or look up what the MSRP was on the Freestyle for starters. Then factor in deals on Expeditions etc......

Namecalling and personal attacks seem to work. Start a thread and take a vote, actually there might already be one around here somewhere....

Before I forget:

1192323589656.gif

Bullshit.....

No way in hell I'd sit back in the third row of that car and pretend it is comfortable. Nice try though.

Here's a Flex review from the Globe & Mail, in Toronto, one of Canada's major newspapers:

http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/RTG...lGlobeAuto/home

If this is the new take on minivans, it's a winner

It may not look exactly like it, but the 2009 Flex is a modern version of the innovative 1950 Country Squire wagon

But when Ford offered great value in a car, like the famous 1949 Ford, buyers responded enthusiastically and in droves. The Flex may not look exactly like it, but it is a modern version of the 1950 Country Squire wagon with the then-innovative, flat-folding middle seat.

It may not look exactly like it, but the 2009 Flex is a modern version of the innovative 1950 Country Squire wagon

:D That's what I've been saying for the better part of 2008! I wonder if they could get away with calling it Country Squire without the shelf paper trim.

1 mpg and it cost nothing to do it. 1 mpg here, 1 mpg there, it all adds up. A lot of little savings adds up to a big improvement in fuel efficiency. Just give them a few years.

So what are you going to complain about the cylinder deactivation in the Odyssey now too? I mean after all with all that tech it only musters 1 more MPG highway than a Flex.

Forgive me but I don't know how to do multiple quotes..

Just get a kick out of these statements. One mentioning a mile here and a mile there and another bitching about technology resulting in one mile here and one mile there.

Not taking a shot at either of you guys, but would love to see Ford use cylinder deacativation-it works and it also has marketing appeal.

Well I suggest going forward that when you complain about Ford products, you put the competition into perspective before you start bellyaching. Weight gain is an industry wide issue. Not just a Ford problem. The constant clamoring for quiet and well assembled interiors adds weight. Couple that with stability control, whiplash reducing headrests, curtain airbags, front side airbags, rear side airbags and tire sensors. Well there's your problem.

Good Poiint...the requirement to make these vehicles safe and meet consumer needs adds significant weight. The most irrating thing to a customer is road noise and Ford has done very well addressing this issue-it just comes at a cost.

btw....the Flex or any other Ford product does not have whiplash headrests-although they are fairly aggressive in their placement against the head.

So what are you going to complain about the cylinder deactivation in the Odyssey now too? I mean after all with all that tech it only musters 1 more MPG highway than a Flex.

Well...it is 1 MPG better than the Flex. Case closed.

Not to mention that it is a lot easier to use and can haul more stuff. Seems the best minivan...is a minivan. Not a station wagon.

Edited by P71_CrownVic