<h2 class="crbot">Ford CVPI Extended Through 2011</h2> Written by Tony Gratson

Production at the St. Thomas (Ontario, Canada) Assembly Plant (STAP) has been extended one year to 2011.

This means that the Crown Vic Police Interceptor will be produced at least through the 2011 model year, including 2009, 2010 and 2011 models. Production on the 2009 model CVPIs started in late July.

Last year, the STAP went to a single shift, five days a week, with continuous operations and is producing Lincoln Town Cars in addition to CVPIs and Mercury Grand Marquis sedans. There is plenty of production at STAP to meet the demands for CVPIs. Our order-to-delivery timing is running about 90 days from dealer order submission to delivery by the company to the dealership.

This also is an exciting time for the Ford Police Advisory Board (PAB). The PAB members are invaluable in providing Ford Motor Co. recommendations for improving current police vehicles and assisting with our future police car plans. The law enforcement industry is very important to Ford Motor Co., and we are committed to supplying police vehicles to this industry.

New for 2009 CVPI

We continue to make improvements to the CVPI, and for the 2009 model year, there are several items. New standard equipment includes power-adjustable pedals and side combo (head / thorax) airbags. Power-adjustable pedals allow drivers to adjust the pedals for their use. As a reminder, the side combo airbags are located in the seat and do not interfere with rear partitions when deployed. The CVPI 4.6L engine is E85 Flexible Fuel capable and now certified for 50 states. The CVPI is the only police car built on a frame and 75-mph rear crash tested.

Also, the 2009 CVPI will have a revised braking system, which will result in shorter stopping distances to an average of almost 10 feet. The friction material does not change. Two other improvements include disabling the confirmation flash with the courtesy lamp (option code 478), and making the deck lid release button operational on the key fob with remote keyless entry (option code 14C).

We will also be turning Vehicle Special Order Options (VSO) into Regular Production Options (RPO), which will make these options easier to order and schedule for production. These options and their new RPO codes are optional chrome grille—66C; rear door locks and handles disabled—67B; spotlight prep with street appearance package—51B and 51Z; front and rear-side moldings not installed (shipped in trunk)—96C.

Police Fleet Manager

I guess profits are a hard thing to give up in "these times".

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing new here. The PI has been always been thought to be in production through 2010. That's two years so anyone ordering LE vehicles is purchasing equipment to fit a vehicle that will be introduction past that point. The improves listed really aren't but just a changing of the ordering process. In fact every PI purchased through out state contract already had those options installed as they are pretty much standard items. except for the key fob truck release.

Time for Ford to come out with a new PI vehicle. The CV has seen it's day. While it served well, it's time has passed.

So I should plan to order my last Mercury Grand Marquis in Spring, 2011. That will put the mileage on my current one at around 127,000 miles, which is kind of early for replacement on a Panther.

At least my factory trunk organizer will transfer to the new one!

400K is "kinda early" for a Panther...A Panther that has run pretty much non-stop from day one no less.

From Autosavant.com

"When digging into individual models, the highest fleet percentages (overall fleet sales, not just rentals) were:"

Ford Crown Victoria (94.23%) <-------- coming soon to auctions near you

Chevrolet Uplander (89.34%)

Dodge Magnum (75.43%)

Ford Econoline (71.95%)

Chrysler Sebring Convertible (69.95%)

"The individual models with more than 50% of all sales going to rental car companies are listed below:"

Chrysler Sebring Convertible (69.34%)

Dodge Magnum (62.64%)

Pontiac Grand Prix (62.07%)

Chrysler PT Cruiser (61.90%)

Mazda Mazda6 (58.59%)

Chrysler Sebring Sedan (54.53%)

Dodge Avenger (54.23%)

Mercury Grand Marquis (53.20%) <------ So much for all the 'loyal MGM buyers' out there.

Dodge Caliber (52.94%)

Suzuki XL7 (52.38%)

"I guess profits are a hard thing to give up in "these times"."

Profits? Why don't you back up your claim with actual facts? How much $$$ do the beloved cars bring home? If a MGM can be gotten at $18999, where is the big profit? Panther buyers are cheap and mainly buy used every 10 years, so the 'profits' are slim.

Ford has a good police/taxi market, so those are the true loyal customers, and at that, cities are now demanding more MPG, wich means new styles of taxis and coppers. So enjoy the trickle of brnad new Panthers while it lasts.

All the loyal used PI buyers don't bring in a dime to Ford HQ, and then they whine when the cars are losing sales, production, and life.

Edited by 630land

I do like the Panther platform cars and quite frankly for a while they were the only Ford sedan you could buy without worrying if the car would self destruct after a few years ( Taurus transmissions) but I think the time has soon come to lay the Panther out to pasture. I think anyone who is a Panther fan can be thankful that Ford still even builds them today and that the Panther was by far the longest lived of its kind. It will be a sad day when the last Panther rolls down the assembly line though as the day the last one is built is the day that the true " American car" dies. :(

No, anyone who is a Panther Fan is automatically considered a troll and is given a free membership into the "Panther Mafia".

Sorry P, anyone that is a Panther fan and attacks anyone that questions why Ford still builds that behemoth instead of replacing it with a more modern iteration is given a free membership to "Panther Mafia"

Hell, you guys should start selling t-shirts, that would probably bolster the ranks :hysterical:

The Panther Mafia isn't hard to understand... they're just like the punk managers of dead-end neglected P&Ls.

They cry and moan and piss over EVERYTHING else the company invests in, because in THEIR eyes, ANY investment made outside their little P&L is money that COULD have gone to them.

Americans DO NOT WANT a midsized-large mainstream-styled affordable RWD sedan. The Pontiac G8 proves this beyond a shadow of a doubt. The Pontiac G8 IS the Ford Falcon in every way, yet they won't sell no matter what Pontiac does.

The segment is DEAD. The only reason the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sell is because of their dramatic style (far more so than the super-vanilla Falcon or G8) and available AWD.

Americans DO NOT WANT a midsized-large mainstream-styled affordable RWD sedan. The Pontiac G8 proves this beyond a shadow of a doubt. The Pontiac G8 IS the Ford Falcon in every way, yet they won't sell no matter what Pontiac does.

The Pontiac G8 proves that the majority of Americans don't need a $30,000 V8 RWD sedan but,

that doesn't mean Americans are closed to the idea of a powerful fuel efficient RWD sedan.

The Pontiac G8/Commodore was begun in 2002 under different circumstances when oil was $25/barrel.

So give Ford a chance, the're only beginning to design RWD vehicles with today's needs in mind.

If Ford presented a $25,000 large RWD car with an Ecoboost I-4, the reception would be different.

Think G8 size and performance with Fusion's weight and fuel economy.

Edited by jpd80

The Pontiac G8 proves that the majority of Americans don't need a $30,000 V8 RWD sedan but,

that doesn't mean Americans are closed to the idea of a powerful fuel efficient RWD sedan.

If Ford presented a $25,000 large RWD car with an Ecoboost I-4, the reception would be different.

Think G8 size and performance with Fusion's weight and fuel economy.

Let's also keep in mind that Pontiac has been a dying brand for years. It's likely most people aren't even aware of the G8's existence. It would probably be selling better as a Chevy. Probably still not great, but better.

I look forward to seeing what Ford can do with that platform on a global scale. :yup:

New Falcon actually has EUCD slim door technology and FoE body structure and framing.

New 5-speed auto trans is similar to Mustang but sourced from France with FoE interface and has

dual mode switch for performance/economy shifts - ZF 6 speed auto is optional on all models.

The segment is DEAD. The only reason the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sell is because of their dramatic style (far more so than the super-vanilla Falcon or G8) and available AWD.

The G8 dose not appeal to the majority oft the segemant that would buy a RWD sedan. I would never even give one s second look or let alone consider it. Where as the Charger and the 300 have more appeal to this demographic. Not only does the G8 miss the mark with the traditional RWD sedan buyer but it also misses the mark with the traditionnal RWD sedan fleet buyer. It had 2 strokes against it before it even hit the dealers lot.

Using the G8 to prove that the RWD sedan market is dead is a weak ass argument at best. And sheer stupidity at worse.

Matthew

The G8 dose not appeal to the majority oft the segemant that would buy a RWD sedan. I would never even give one s second look or let alone consider it. Where as the Charger and the 300 have more appeal to this demographic. Not only does the G8 miss the mark with the traditional RWD sedan buyer but it also misses the mark with the traditionnal RWD sedan fleet buyer. It had 2 strokes against it before it even hit the dealers lot.

Using the G8 to prove that the RWD sedan market is dead is a weak ass argument at best. And sheer stupidity at worse.

Matthew

I would say it's a fair argument IF Ford's intent was just to import the Falcon here with as-is looks. It definitely would fail. If, however, the only thing coming here is the basic architecture, leaving Ford NA designers to pen the sheet metal, then I would say there's a chance for more success.

Matthew

300C and Charger have dramatic style going for them, as well as AWD.

If we import the Falcon as-is, it's DOA. That's my point.