Ford Flex Flopping

BORG

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is too early to call the Flex a flop. I can't recall specific number, but I remember Edge getting off to a slow start in late 2006. With the auto industry in its current state, not much is going to launch well. Lets see the National ads and let a bit more inventory land at dealerships before we put a fork in the Flex.

I drove one last week and was stopped at the grocery store by a lady who had no idea what it was. When I made it to the door there were handprints all over the front and back windows.

Two full months of sales data seems too early to declare an all new model a flop. Crossover sales are down (in line with total auto sales) as opposed to increasing as was predicted. The bad market is definitely affecting Flex sales, but the Edge and MKX aren't immune either. Even though the Edge sales are up, in all likelihood it isn't meeting expectations, and played some role with the shift cancellation.

I really like the Flex, I don't' think I'll like the MKT however because it looks generically swoopy and seems to be a Buick knock-off. The Flex has some bite with a nicely cut body design. Therefore, I predict the Flex to flop by the MKT will win! :)

I have always feared that since the Flex was born as a concept rather than a consumer driven neccessity, the car would be a substantial risk for Ford since the green light process largely meant finding a customer. Most products are developed to meet customer and market trends and then go to concept form to tweak the final product. The Flex started purely as a design exercise! These almost always fail in production! If the FLex doesn't fail, it will have bucked the trend! Even the 2004 Mustang concept was based on the production version!

Edited by BORG

I'm not really the target audience for a Flex I guess, because I don't need the 7 passenger seating. I'd like the additional space for when it is necessary, but I don't need it. So for me, it comes down to price on this. I really like the Flex. I like it a whole lot. And I realize I could get a base model for under $30K, but I would rather get an Edge SEL with the SYNC and Vista roof for around $30K. Or get a completely loaded Escape Limited for around $28K....

It is too early to call the Flex a flop.

Two full months of sales data seems too early to declare an all new model a flop.

Not here, just go to the Competition forum.

If it was a Toyota or Honda, the cheerleaders would've already started a "Flex deathwatch" thread.

But they didn't expect demand to be so low that they canceled a 3rd shift.

Didn't expect the economy to tank either.

I assume that Ford had planned on a midsummer launch blitz, until the economy soured. They pushed it back as far as they reasonably could (Sept), but because the consumer economy still sucks (lending standards are very tight--consumers are caught in a credit crunch that they'll just have to work through), they've still had to adjust production.

Per the July conf. call, awareness of the Flex among crossover shoppers was relatively low (20% maybe? can't recall exactly), but that among those aware, positive impressions were higher than for the F150 & Edge.

Here's an August review of the Flex:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/ctc/blog/tru...9-ford-flex.htm

It is much better than I had ever anticipated: it rides great, it is comfortable, it handles like a car and it can carry a ton of passengers or cargo if need be.

The gas mileage over the week wasn’t stellar, but for such a large vehicle, it wasn’t bad. I averaged 13.4 L/100km for the week, including carrying a full load of passengers on a few trips, and with six people in the car, that is a lot of extra weight to carry around.

Don’t overlook the Flex if you are in the market for a CUV or minivan. I will admit minivan doors make loading passengers or cargo a whole lot easier, but the Flex stands out and may still provide the flexibility you are looking for.

Number of threads in the Competition forum with the word "Deathwatch" in the title? Zero. THough to be fair, I only searched through one year's worth of posts.

"Sorry, the administrator has taken the search engine offline for the moment. Please try again later"

Nice try.

Next in line, the Traverse... just wait.

"Sorry, the administrator has taken the search engine offline for the moment. Please try again later"

Nice try.

Next in line, the Traverse... just wait.

Believe it or not, I clicked on each of the first 20 pages, and did a search in the browser for "deathwatch". That's why I specifically referred to the titles.

Yes, I'm a little obsessive about being accurate and truthful. Which is more than I can say for SOME people around here.

Some people here were saying the Malibu would be a flop months before launch, some going as far as saying they "could already smell the rebates" for it.

Fact of the matter is... I'm not even complaining about that, just saying it's fair game for others to use the same standards for Ford products. Here it's being called a flop months AFTER launch, not months BEFORE.

People just don't have any interest right now for anything big & large, and Ford's plans to sell this box of shoes as a personal cruiser are obviously a pipedream now. Call it a people mover, a minivan replacement, whatever... for everyone else it's no different from buying a Lambda, Expedition, etc. Hell, most people keep thinking "it's just another Ford SUV". Just be thankful it's selling better than the Taurus X and bringing in more money.

Edited by pcsario

Some people here were saying the Malibu would be a flop months before launch, some going as far as saying they "could already smell the rebates" for it.

08s at the local dealer have $1000 rebates and low APR. 09s have low APR specials along with pretty much the rest of the line. Its not unexpected. Hey, in fact i might go check out a G8 this weekend. (much as i hate to say it) it IS vehicle that pretty much flopped.

http://www.sjchevrolet.com/CorporateIncentives

Edited by Sixt9coug