Ford Flex Flopping

BORG

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two full months of sales data seems too early to declare an all new model a flop.

Heh... three years for the D3 sedans is considered by the :cheerleader: s on here "too early" to be ruled a flop.

There's no short of D3 fail threads:

TTAC on Ford stopping Flex production

Or:

I can't see Flex not floppng

Or:

First D3 to bite the dust?

Oh, and D3 for the:

failagaincrane.jpg

Edited by Armada Master

You know the last frame of that is photoshopped? Cars that disappeared between the 2nd and 3rd frames mysteriously reappear...

Amazingly, the water isn't disturbed at all by the events unfolding.

As fot the Flex, while I hate CUV's, I like the Flex and hope it does well. Ads will help a lot, as I don't think the general public even knows it exists. Ford would do well to lower the price a little in an effort to hit the segment's sweet spot.

guys,

I love the Flex. I just think its a great car at the wrong time. In person it is pretty big. I think people are just really scared to buy right now. 30,000 plus is alot of money.

You obviously don't have a large family. If you do, it's the PERFECT car at the PERFECT time. Different buyers have different needs. Once people start seeing these on the roads regularly, people WILL buy them. Not everyone can fit their needs with the Fiesta.

Two full months of sales data seems too early to declare an all new model a flop.

Heh... three years for the D3 sedans is considered by the :cheerleader: s on here "too early" to be ruled a flop.

Well, the Flex is outselling the Town Car. :P

Seriously, the D3 crap has got to stop. You interrupt EVERY thread with it. And find some new pictures. The "FAIL" crap is kind of last year.

Well, the Flex is outselling the Town Car. :P

Seriously, the D3 crap has got to stop. You interrupt EVERY thread with it. And find some new pictures. The "FAIL" crap is kind of last year.

It's better than the standard issue 'Oh Snap' nonsense.

I remember when the Fusion took a while to gain traction, and what folks were saying back then.

I have a large family (2 adults, 3 children, and a large dog we take everywhere) and I find it less than perfect. It has no cargo room when the third row seat is up.

So you can get by with a 5 passenger crossover, and put the dog in the back. What about the family of 6? The only vehicle thet's gonna give you more room behind the third row is something like the Expedition at 14 MPG. What other options do you have with 7 passenger seating, and what do you do if one of your kids wants to bring a friend? Drive two cars?

So you can get by with a 5 passenger crossover, and put the dog in the back.

No, not in my family. The dog is the son I never had. By ordering the Flex with the 40/40 second row seat and no center console, it would give him room to "walk around" while we take long trips, but that becomes moot because with the third row seat up, there is no room for luggage.

The only way the Flex would make it would be to get a "turtle" for the luggage to put on the roof, but the only thing my wife finds appealing about the Flex is the Vista roof. You can't have both. We already do this with our Explorer, so why plunk down 40k for a vehicle that I already have?

No, not in my family. The dog is the son I never had. By ordering the Flex with the 40/40 second row seat and no center console, it would give him room to "walk around" while we take long trips, but that becomes moot because with the third row seat up, there is no room for luggage.

The only way the Flex would make it would be to get a "turtle" for the luggage to put on the roof, but the only thing my wife finds appealing about the Flex is the Vista roof. You can't have both. We already do this with our Explorer, so why plunk down 40k for a vehicle that I already have?

Ok, so you already have an Explorer that fits your needs. But just because YOU don't need a new car now, doesn't mean NOBODY does. I'm pretty sure when it comes time to replace that Explorer, the Flex, with it's substantial upgrade in MPG, ride quality, and space will fit you perfectly. You need this vehicle, just not at the moment. Saying it's the wrong vehicle at the wrong time just because you're not in the market is kinda silly... :shades:

I have a large family (2 adults, 3 children, and a large dog we take everywhere) and I find it less than perfect. It has no cargo room when the third row seat is up.

The TX should have room with the third row up; I know our Freestyle does. In fact I've been consistently surprised at all the crap we manage to fit back there.

Ok, so you already have an Explorer that fits your needs. But just because YOU don't need a new car now, doesn't mean NOBODY does. I'm pretty sure when it comes time to replace that Explorer, the Flex, with it's substantial upgrade in MPG, ride quality, and space will fit you perfectly. You need this vehicle, just not at the moment. Saying it's the wrong vehicle at the wrong time just because you're not in the market is kinda silly... :shades:

I am in the market. If Ford still had the Freestar/Windstar, we would already have ordered one.

We have, and will keep having, three vehicles. My Focus gets me to work. Jeep is the "backup", and Explorer is the main family vehicle. My plan was to keep the Explorer (paid off next March), keep the Focus (paid off), and replace the Jeep with a new family vehicle when we turn the lease in (also next March). Instead of replacing the Explorer as the main family vehicle, we are now thinking of buying another Focus for the third car because there is nothing Ford has that meets our wants/needs to replace the Explorer. We were hoping the Flex would be that vehicle.

Personally, I wish Ford could sell as many Flex's that OAC could build on three shifts. They really need the money right now. Unfortunately, I don't think it brings the "gotta have it" attitude to people that are looking at new vehicles right now.

Edited by Pioneer

I am in the market. If Ford still had the Freestar/Windstar, we would already have ordered one.

We have, and will keep having, three vehicles. My Focus gets me to work. Jeep is the "backup", and Explorer is the main family vehicle. My plan was to keep the Explorer (paid off next March), keep the Focus (paid off), and replace the Jeep with a new family vehicle when we turn the lease in (also next March). Instead of replacing the Explorer as the main family vehicle, we are now thinking of buying another Focus for the third car because there is nothing Ford has that meets our wants/needs to replace the Explorer. We were hoping the Flex would be that vehicle.

Personally, I wish Ford could sell as many Flex's that OAC could build on three shifts. They really need the money right now. Unfortunately, I don't think it brings the "gotta have it" attitude to people that are looking at new vehicles right now.

Soo.... You're gonna replace your Explorer with a Focus because it better fits your family of 5 plus pooch?...I'm lost. What vehicle do you see in the marketplace that is a better practical replacement for your needs. Are you going to now drive two Focii everytime you take a vacation? Or does the dog ride in the trunk? I don't get it, it seems as if the Flex is in fact the PERFECT vehicle for you. The only thing I can think of is, you don't like the styling, which I can see, as it's hit or miss. But as far as being the right vehicle for you, I think Ford pretty much hit the nail on the head.

While I haven't been in a Flex yet, The Explorer is nothing to write home about in Interior space and ZERO room behind the 3rd row flip up seat in it.

While I haven't been in a Flex yet, The Explorer is nothing to write home about in Interior space and ZERO room behind the 3rd row flip up seat in it.

Read my posts above. The only thing my wife likes about the Flex is the Vista roof, and you can't put a cargo carrier on top of it. Also, the Explorer is paid off, so why pay $40k for a vehicle I already have?

If I could find the information I'd look it up on my own, but how much room did the Freestar have behind the 3rd row vs. that of the Flex?

I'm not sure but I drove a Sienna Minivan and an Odyssy earlier this year on business trips and you would be lucky to fit two large luggage bags back there. Def not enough for a Family of 5

Soo.... You're gonna replace your Explorer with a Focus because it better fits your family of 5 plus pooch?...

If you actually read my posts, I'm not replacing the "family" vehicle now, I'm replacing the "backup" because nothing Ford makes fits my needs.

However, there is still the possibility that when we turn the Jeep in we could drive away in a Caravan or T&C. Who knows. We still have about 4 months to decide what to order.

If I could find the information I'd look it up on my own, but how much room did the Freestar have behind the 3rd row vs. that of the Flex?

Windstar had 25 cu. ft behind the third row.

http://www.carpriceusa.com/Ford/2004/Freestar/interior.aspx

Flex has 20 cu. ft behind the third row, but they only offered a short wheelbase version. Dodge Caravan, which is now only available in the long wheelbase version has 32 cu. ft.

Read my posts above. The only thing my wife likes about the Flex is the Vista roof, and you can't put a cargo carrier on top of it. Also, the Explorer is paid off, so why pay $40k for a vehicle I already have?

Because you said you were replacing it, and it sounds like IF you are replacing it, you'll need a vehicle that fits your needs comparably, or better. Since you said you needed space for 5 people, and a dog, and luggage, how is the Focus a better fit once you give up your Explorer, and no longer have your family mover? You're back to the dog in the trunk, or taking two cars on vacation. Get the second row bench. fold down the back seats, you have room for the dog, luggage, kids, wife, and you'll get ten MPG better than your Explorer. Or... Get the second row buckets, the split fold rear seat, fold down one side.... You get the point. The flexibilty (get it!) is there, and you have a practical family hauler. As for the Vista Roof, since it's the only vehicle to offer it, you can't really fault it for not working exactly like you want it to. Besides, it's a luxury item, and your wife should hopefully understand that there are alot of reasons to buy a vehicle besides the moonroof. With the seating flexibility(sorry, said it again!) the clamshell shouldn't be an issue. But again, YOU were the one that said you were replacing your Explorer.