Ford Flex Flopping

BORG

2 months...man do people jump to conclusions...we have sold 5 in the last week....once again i will REPEAT myself....interest is increasing...noticably...it is almost exactly mimicing the Edge and its first few months...may not attain the same #;s initially due to the economy and bleaters CONVINCED it is too pricey when in fact it is right in line....but I expect its numbers to increase incrementally as time gos by, and to perhaps get a boost whe IT gets eco BOOSTED.....

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windstar had 25 cu. ft behind the third row.

http://www.carpriceusa.com/Ford/2004/Freestar/interior.aspx

Flex has 20 cu. ft behind the third row, but they only offered a short wheelbase version. Dodge Caravan, which is now only available in the long wheelbase version has 32 cu. ft.

Ford minivan, even if still made, would be bad choice for you. In fact, any minivan with a one-piece 3rd row bench is no better than Flex, swb or lwb. For your seating arrangement,

1) "the son you never had" would not be treated as well as in a Flex

2) In a Flex, with one kid (whichever one you do have but get treated worse than you dog) in 3rd row, you could fold down the other half and have 30+ cu. ft space.

3) Unless your family travel includes frequent skiing trips, you can buy a FWD Flex to save some money and get even better mpg. (ok, this is not compared to a minivan, but to your explorer)

Back to topic, compared to MKS, Flex is doing much much worse. MKS is exceeding Ford expectation while Flex is way below. Last month, MKS out sold both Flex and MKZ and became the best selling LM car.

Ford minivan, even if still made, would be bad choice for you. In fact, any minivan with a one-piece 3rd row bench is no better than Flex, swb or lwb. For your seating arrangement,

1) "the son you never had" would not be treated as well as in a Flex

2) In a Flex, with one kid (whichever one you do have but get treated worse than you dog) in 3rd row, you could fold down the other half and have 30+ cu. ft space.

3) Unless your family travel includes frequent skiing trips, you can buy a FWD Flex to save some money and get even better mpg. (ok, this is not compared to a minivan, but to your explorer)

Back to topic, compared to MKS, Flex is doing much much worse. MKS is exceeding Ford expectation while Flex is way below. Last month, MKS out sold both Flex and MKZ and became the best selling LM car.

Pioneer has already stated the Flex is too rich for his blood.....will be interesting if he finds a vehicle that fits both his needs and budgetary constraints...considering the Flex starts sub 30 I think he may have difficulty unless he considers used perhaps....

Pioneer has already stated the Flex is too rich for his blood.....will be interesting if he finds a vehicle that fits both his needs and budgetary constraints...considering the Flex starts sub 30 I think he may have difficulty unless he considers used perhaps....

Well you could always get the uber cheap T&C which is cheaper than the Flex, but you are going to pay for it in the powertrain department and overall refinement (but IMO that is going to be across the entire Chrysler Minivan lineup)

Well you could always get the uber cheap T&C which is cheaper than the Flex, but you are going to pay for it in the powertrain department and overall refinement (but IMO that is going to be across the entire Chrysler Minivan lineup)

as much as I HATE minivans, there is NO vehicle as versatile overall...but man the stigma of the image....

as much as I HATE minivans, there is NO vehicle as versatile overall...but man the stigma of the image....

And in a nutshell that may turn out to be the point. It's where the S-Max would have delived for Ford. The Flex is a car that didn't need to be built.

And in a nutshell that may turn out to be the point. It's where the S-Max would have delived for Ford. The Flex is a car that didn't need to be built.

and............minivan sales have been declining for YEARS....THUS the reasoning...people are turning AWAY from them........so, once again T...keep your S-max...that market is DEAD here....Flex IS gaining momentum due to the fact it is NOT veiwed as a mini-van...rather as an alternative

and............minivan sales have been declining for YEARS....THUS the reasoning...people are turning AWAY from them........so, once again T...keep your S-max...that market is DEAD here....Flex IS gaining momentum due to the fact it is NOT veiwed as a mini-van...rather as an alternative

Maybe I'm seeing this too much like a European where the minivan has done well. I just think that if people want an alternative to the mini van they will buy something like a Nissan Quashqai 7 seater (which is a smash hit from day 1 unlike the Flex). So in which case why not ship in a 7 seven seat version of the Kuga and the S-Max. Job done! Plus with their Euro engines people will love the good mileage claims. I do agree with Alan Mulally that the world is getting smaller and that the tastes differences between Europe and the US is shrinking. I think Ford needs to realise that too. Not building the Flex may have been the first step.

Maybe I'm seeing this too much like a European where the minivan has done well. I just think that if people want an alternative to the mini van they will buy something like a Nissan Quashqai 7 seater (which is a smash hit from day 1 unlike the Flex). So in which case why not ship in a 7 seven seat version of the Kuga and the S-Max. Job done! Plus with their Euro engines people will love the good mileage claims. I do agree with Alan Mulally that the world is getting smaller and that the tastes differences between Europe and the US is shrinking. I think Ford needs to realise that too. Not building the Flex may have been the first step.

you are comparing US with Euro tastes....tastes which are swayed by certain necessities and parameters...1) gas prices advantage here 2) Mpg's...advantage there 3) road widths advantage here 4) Parking...again advantage here 5) size of people due to the propensity of accesable drive thrus, lack of home cooking......DEFINITELY here. The Mazda 5 is a smaller "mini" van type vehicle...sales deplorable, same with mini-vans as a whole...Ford adressed the problem with an alternative....AND its a hoot. If no-one is buying a mini-van why import the M<ax to appese a dead stagnant market? World may be getting smaller but people are not.

Where do I begin?

First of all the Qashqai is a compact SUV, something that we already have stateside known as the Escape (a vehicle that happens to sell very well). The Flex, on the other hand, is a much larger vehicle aimed and priced for an entirely different market. Do you realize how big a T&C, Odyssey and Sienna truly are? I only ask because from a space perspective, NONE of the vehicle you've listed would haul that many people in comfort.

And the nonsense about how the Nissan sold well from day one. Hello, we are going through a financial crunch with gasoline prices coming off of record highs. So what do you expect?

Just not sure why you are arguing that much smaller minivans are going to do the trick here. All Ford needs is a Villager No. 2.

Where do I begin?

First of all the Qashqai is a compact SUV, something that we already have stateside known as the Escape (a vehicle that happens to sell very well). The Flex, on the other hand, is a much larger vehicle aimed and priced for an entirely different market. Do you realize how big a T&C, Odyssey and Sienna truly are? I only ask because from a space perspective, NONE of the vehicle you've listed would haul that many people in comfort.

And the nonsense about how the Nissan sold well from day one. Hello, we are going through a financial crunch with gasoline prices coming off of record highs. So what do you expect?

Just not sure why you are arguing that much smaller minivans are going to do the trick here. All Ford needs is a Villager No. 2.

..........per say the Mazda 5 I previously mentioned....thankyou Mike. ( PS...get ready to see more Flex's on the road....customers looking and brokers calling......."

Edited by Deanh

Well, gas prices have subsided some, people are only just becoming aware of the Flex (thanks to a lot of advertising) and the Flex's styling does have a polarizing effect......

Time will tell, but not in two months. It's a grower.......with the good reviews and as people get used to it's looks it'll build demand.

..........per say the Mazda 5 I previously mentioned....thankyou Mike. ( PS...get ready to see more Flex's on the road....customers looking and brokers calling......."

Good.....

Amongst a sea of high end BMWs, an Aston Martin, a Bentley and a RR in front of the gym where they park some of the valet'd vehicles sat a brand new Flex (Black with the White roof). Kinda made me smile a bit. IMO this vehicle is quite the looker. I'd drive one.

Good.....

Amongst a sea of high end BMWs, an Aston Martin, a Bentley and a RR in front of the gym where they park some of the valet'd vehicles sat a brand new Flex (Black with the White roof). Kinda made me smile a bit. IMO this vehicle is quite the looker. I'd drive one.

has me quite enthralled...would quite happily drive one myself...course I would probably wait for a 4 cyl eco if it had the same HP etc...but car drives absolutely fantastically, AND it doesn't blend in with the rest of the crowd.....2 MAJOR scoring points in my book...and MAN is it quiet!

Edited by Deanh

Well, the Flex is outselling the Town Car. :P

Couldn't be the 1998 styling of the Town Car, eh? But you're right....maybe Ford needs to spice up the Town Car commercials.....oops wait a min....

Seriously, the D3 crap has got to stop. You interrupt EVERY thread with it. And find some new pictures. The "FAIL" crap is kind of last year.

Obviously it needs to be restated what a FAILure the D3s are and continue to be with EVERY new incarnation. Of course, the BON :cheerleader: s continue to be totally oblivious to it.

I personally don't have an issue with the Flex, it's not horrid or anything. It's just not..."original"....like...at all. I've said it before, it's done up like a lowered Range Rover with a mini-Cooper paint scheme. Personally, I think if it was priced around $25K instead of the current $40K, and offered sliding doors, it would rock the minivan world that it should be targeting, instead of the Explorer world that it fails miserably against. But that's just my .02 cents.

I do need another FAIL pic, the aforementioned just fits SO well though. I got 1500 more on hand to choose from. :happy feet:

Edited by Armada Master

Well, if you don't consider the Flex to be original................ I guess nothing really is.

You are just like Jelly, except that you can structure a sentence with capitals, periods, and commas. Other than that, you both are obsessed with certain vehicles, and will bring up said obsession in almost any thread.

The question I have for you is................. when the Flex starts to sell in the numbers that Ford is expecting, will we be bringing up all of your old posts to use against you??.............. like we did with a certain other poster in relation to the Edge.

Now, I do understand your irrational dislike of all D3 products, however. You feel that the development of the D3's relegated your beloved CV's to a continued life of being ignored. You blame the D3's for the CV's station in life. You really need to get over it, and move on. It is what it is, and your constant bashing, bitching, and complaining, will do nothing to change that.

Well, if you don't consider the Flex to be original................ I guess nothing really is.

Looking like a lowered Range Rover and painted like a mini-Cooper...ain't original.

Allow me to give some examples of the most original vehicles just this decade, the 2005+ Mustang, the 2005+ Chrysler LXs, the mini-Cooper, the Hummers, that's a few.

I think the Panthers have achieved some originality in their old age by being the only ones of their kind on the market, that can't be said of many others.

You are just like Jelly, except that you can structure a sentence with capitals, periods, and commas. Other than that, you both are obsessed with certain vehicles, and will bring up said obsession in almost any thread.

doctor_is_in.jpg

The question I have for you is.................

REEE...EEE..AALLLY?

riddler3.jpg

Was that over the top? I can never tell.....

when the Flex starts to sell in the numbers that Ford is expecting, will we be bringing up all of your old posts to use against you??.............. like we did with a certain other poster in relation to the Edge.

I can eat Crow just as well as the next guy, guessing what the Sheeple will do next with their $$$ has never been my strong suit, I just call them how I see them.

Now, I do understand your irrational dislike of all D3 products, however. You feel that the development of the D3's relegated your beloved CV's to a continued life of being ignored. You blame the D3's for the CV's station in life. You really need to get over it, and move on. It is what it is, and your constant bashing, bitching, and complaining, will do nothing to change that.

I don't like unibody front wheel drive cars period. As far as I am concerned they are inferior in almost every way to B-O-F RWD sedans....except gas mileage in the smaller models. I don't hate the D3's, but Ford did blow Panther development money on the wrong horse and the bell needs ringing about that obviously, and they continue to do so instead of learning from their error. The WWD sedan I personally hate is GM's W-Impala.

Edited by Armada Master

Looking like a lowered Range Rover and painted like a mini-Cooper...ain't original.

Allow me to give some examples of the most original vehicles just this decade, the 2005+ Mustang, the 2005+ Chrysler LXs, the mini-Cooper, the Hummers, that's a few.

I don't like unibody front wheel drive cars period. As far as I am concerned they are inferior in almost every way to B-O-F RWD sedans....except gas mileage in the smaller models. I don't hate the D3's, but Ford did blow Panther development money on the wrong horse and the bell needs ringing about that obviously, and they continue to do so instead of learning from their error. The WWD sedan I personally hate is GM's W-Impala.

The 2005+ Mustang looks much like an updated 1968 Mustang = not original (though I really like the car)

The 2005+ Chrysler LX's look like a cross between a Lincoln Mark VII and a Bentley, but cartoonized = not original

The Mini Cooper looks like the old Mini Cooper = not original

The Hummers look like the military Hummers = not original

So, what makes your opinion of original or not original any more valid than mine. Face it, it isn't. Everyone who sees a Flex in the flesh, thinks it looks like nothing else on the road. However, you have to be right............... everyone else is wrong, and only you are right. :rolleyes:

I find it interesting that the only platform style you find acceptable is a BOF RWD chassis. Does this mean you are as much of a dinosaur as the only cars that you like are???

I did find it refreshing that you actually hate something more than the D3's............ the problem is, I don't see you on GMI in every Impala thread. You need to play fair, and annoy another board equally.

2 months...man do people jump to conclusions...we have sold 5 in the last week....once again i will REPEAT myself....interest is increasing...noticably...it is almost exactly mimicing the Edge and its first few months...may not attain the same #;s initially due to the economy and bleaters CONVINCED it is too pricey when in fact it is right in line....but I expect its numbers to increase incrementally as time gos by, and to perhaps get a boost whe IT gets eco BOOSTED.....

5 in SoCa!! Wow. Is moving 5 of not low end vehicles good for your dealership? Oh what is the same amount of Edges you sold in the same time period?

But that seems like a good start, especially with the economy going to trash.

you are comparing US with Euro tastes....tastes which are swayed by certain necessities and parameters...1) gas prices advantage here 2) Mpg's...advantage there 3) road widths advantage here 4) Parking...again advantage here 5) size of people due to the propensity of accesable drive thrus, lack of home cooking......DEFINITELY here. The Mazda 5 is a smaller "mini" van type vehicle...sales deplorable, same with mini-vans as a whole...Ford adressed the problem with an alternative....AND its a hoot. If no-one is buying a mini-van why import the M<ax to appese a dead stagnant market? World may be getting smaller but people are not.

Sales of the 5 are good for Mazda. I mean what of their line up outside of the 3 and 6 sell more than 2k a month? Besides it's not even made for the US. It s the exact same in Japan. Where let me tell you minivans are a different animal.