Flex vs. Travesty

ANTAUS

I believe the Flex in their possession was their long-term vehicle, which is of course a Limited. A Flex SEL would have aligned perfectly with the Traverse included. Equipment levels being the same the Flex and Traverse cost the same.

This review in conjunction with the reviews from Autoblog, TTAC, MT and C&D are all consistent. The write-up from Edmunds on the MKS disagreed with what EVERYONE else had to say. That's why it was criticized. Edmunds as a whole has become very inconsistent with their reviews, and their write-ups seem to be more fluff than anything.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flex is a brilliant car; it will get even better with the 3.5L EB. Ford is patient, just like the Edge it took sometime before it caught on fire. The Flex may not do that in this climate, but it will do well once awareness spreads. Once the early adopters bite, others will follow.

I am very proud of Ford for putting this vehicle together, it's not the lowest-common denominator like most efforts in this class have been.

The Flex is a brilliant car; it will get even better with the 3.5L EB. Ford is patient, just like the Edge it took sometime before it caught on fire. The Flex may not do that in this climate, but it will do well once awareness spreads. Once the early adopters bite, others will follow.

I am very proud of Ford for putting this vehicle together, it's not the lowest-common denominator like most efforts in this class have been.

Comparing it to the Traverse and other like minded CUV's, you can really see the potential of the Flex. The looks of the Traverse are so generic as they just blend in with the landscape. But like it or not, the Flex stands out and makes a statement. That's what I like about the Escape also. It stands out in a sea of generic, Asian shapes and forms. With gas prices dropping, and Ford beginning to market the Flex and tweak it a bit, there is lots of potential here. Now if the credit markets would just settle down a bit, Flex sales could go up. But not until things calm down.

Price will be the killer for the Flex.

The article said, "A similarly optioned Traverse LT2 goes for $41,315," which is only about a little less than 2K off the Flex's price, so it's not as if the Traverse would be that much better price wise than the Flex if it had been equipped properly to compare to their Flex.

Does Chevy not use the 'LTZ' model on Traverse, like they do on Tahoes, etc. ? I always thought that LTZ was their top-end model.

Comparing it to the Traverse and other like minded CUV's, you can really see the potential of the Flex. The looks of the Traverse are so generic as they just blend in with the landscape. But like it or not, the Flex stands out and makes a statement. That's what I like about the Escape also. It stands out in a sea of generic, Asian shapes and forms. With gas prices dropping, and Ford beginning to market the Flex and tweak it a bit, there is lots of potential here. Now if the credit markets would just settle down a bit, Flex sales could go up. But not until things calm down.

What ever happened to that marketing push that was supposed to happen for the Flex? I thought it was supposed to happen last month, or will it be happening this month?

What ever happened to that marketing push that was supposed to happen for the Flex? I thought it was supposed to happen last month, or will it be happening this month?

What more should we really expect? I see ads for it all the time. If you watch any football, you've seen ads for the Flex (or you TiVo :lol: ). There have been a lot of web banner ads on sites I visit as well.

I think the Flex would be a good candidate for some shopping mall exposure. Put the vehicle right in front of people who wouldn't ordinarily be seeing one up close on a Ford dealer lot. Let them see how the interior looks firsthand. The Flex doesn't really photograph very well in my opinion, so seeing it in person could make a huge difference.

What more should we really expect? I see ads for it all the time. If you watch any football, you've seen ads for the Flex (or you TiVo :lol: ). There have been a lot of web banner ads on sites I visit as well.

I think the Flex would be a good candidate for some shopping mall exposure. Put the vehicle right in front of people who wouldn't ordinarily be seeing one up close on a Ford dealer lot. Let them see how the interior looks firsthand. The Flex doesn't really photograph very well in my opinion, so seeing it in person could make a huge difference.

This is true, I suppose. I was just thinking new ads would be shown by now....the ads (or at least the ones that I see on TV) are the same ones that were being shown before the "push" was announced. It's a nice ad, but I'm getting tired of it, I'd personally like to see something new.

And I highly agree with your mall exposure idea. As you said, it would expose the vehicle to many who wouldn't normally see one (at least up close).

I also agree with you to an extent that the Flex doesn't photograph well. I don't think it does all that well in studio setups/situations. I do however think it does much better in "action" or "real-world" shots. If you look at some of the pictures Edmunds used in this article, for example, I think some of the pictures make the Flex look great, whereas most of the Ford press release shots don't do the car justice.

I also agree with you to an extent that the Flex doesn't photograph well. I don't think it does all that well in studio setups/situations. I do however think it does much better in "action" or "real-world" shots. If you look at some of the pictures Edmunds used in this article, for example, I think some of the pictures make the Flex look great, whereas most of the Ford press release shots don't do the car justice.

Ford's press photos have been pretty awful for years. There have been a few exceptions, but the Flex so far hasn't been one of them. Unfortunately, it's the same dull photographic style they use on their website when people go there to comparison shop.

Similarly optioned?

You mean you can get a refrigerator in the Traverse? ($750)

Nope.

What about the difference in sunroofs? That's $600, but you get more sunroof on the Flex.

IMO, when you take out the stuff that you get with the Flex, but can't get with the Traverse, you're neck and neck pricewise.

Except the Flex has better power options (Traverse offers only a 4-way power passenger seat), better voice command Nav, and SYNC. The only cool thing you get with Traverse you can't get on the Flex is the On Star concierge service.

Ford's press photos have been pretty awful for years. There have been a few exceptions, but the Flex so far hasn't been one of them. Unfortunately, it's the same dull photographic style they use on their website when people go there to comparison shop.

<rant>

The pics of the Zephyr were, hands down, the worst press photos I have ever seen in my life. Ever. The combination of dead grass, leafless trees, and horrible lighting on the champagne colored Zephyr was enough to make me want to puke. Couple the absolutely abysmal location scouting with the disgusting 'let's tilt the camera to make it look exciting' shot and you've got the worst press photo ever.

And here it is:

2006.lincoln.zephyr.20028240-396x249.jpg

</rant>

<rant>

The pics of the Zephyr were, hands down, the worst press photos I have ever seen in my life. Ever. The combination of dead grass, leafless trees, and horrible lighting on the champagne colored Zephyr was enough to make me want to puke. Couple the absolutely abysmal location scouting with the disgusting 'let's tilt the camera to make it look exciting' shot and you've got the worst press photo ever.

And here it is:

2006.lincoln.zephyr.20028240-396x249.jpg

</rant>

:hysterical: It looks like they took that picture in November in the "customer parking" lot at my dealership! LOL!!! Sorry... That's not really funny.

Well I will throw in my 2 cents here because we have been considering a new CUV and I am also looking at getting a Flex for my next company car.

Wife would be the main driver of the CUV.

She has checked out the Flex and "hates it." Funny they did not put looks into one of the main criteria-sounds like a consumer report review. I don't care how you slice it, the Flex is polarizing. Love it-hate it-nothing in between.

Price is comparable-I don't care how you check the numbers. Base price on a Traverse is substantially less expensive-well over $1k. So depending upon how a model is equipped it can go either way-if I am going high end on a Traverse-I will look at a Buick.

Arguing a .4 difference in fuel is just stupid. Many of you mention that Ford's engines break in and deliver better gas mileage-give Chevy the same credit.

Stopping distance-good for Ford-finally getting some decent performance in a important category.

Cargo room-trust me the traverse has a lot more room behind the 3rd row seat-forget about that storage bin in the floor-I have never seen anything but jumper cables in those things. The room behind the 3rd row to me is very important. With my kids playing hockey and giving other kids rides-we need the room.

All the seating positions in both vehicles are nice-to me it is a toss up. The leather in the Flex limited is gorgeous. The cloth interior in the Flex is terrible. Chevy has no suprises-nice cloth and leather. I do like the back of the chevy seats-they have a molded plastic cover-something a Ford engineer told me that they would not due to cost.

Center console in the Chevy is more user friendly-slides and has 2 storage areas. I also like the cup holders better.

I have been a critic of Ford's gauge layout and the Flex fails to break new ground there. I also like the information center better in the Chevy-the oil life reminder and tire pressure sytem is very useful. Ford fails to offer either-puzzling because they are so aggressive getting the customer back into the dealership-why not offer them a reminder.

The chevy has roof rails on all models-not so with the Flex-get the sunroof option (RJ both offer dual sunroofs-not sure what you are talking about) and the rails go away (I am pretty sure on this detail).

Flex has larger outside mirrors-but the traverse has the blindside mirror built in-something coming on the 09 Edge. Nice feature-the 09 Buick does not even offer it.

And you can argue all day about sales being slow because of economic reasons but the GM crossovers are selling well-and they are pretty damn new in the market place as well.

The buyer who would get a Flex is a trend setter-someone who is always wanting to be different and get the newest thing. First to buy a apple phone, etc. Well this customer has bought enough new shit lately and they are taking a break. I hope the Flex sales take off-but it is not comparable to an Edge. The Edge looks mainstream by any comparison and if you can't get people to even consider it because of the looks do you think they will buy it because it gets .4 mpg better gas mileage than a traverse?

One more thing.

Who wants to tell me right now that the Flex is going to outsell the Traverse in November? In December?

Who gives a f/ck about awards all we should care about is DOES IT SELL ANSWER NO NO NO

expected close to 100K a year and is selling at under 2K per month that aint gonna cut it!!!!!

Ain't going to cut it? Yup .. you're right. But considering that Toyota's sales were down over 30% this past month, I don't think Ford's the only one in trouble.

Well this customer has bought enough new shit lately and they are taking a break.

You make it sound like the Flex would be an impulse buy for people who have to have the latest and greatest. Is that the case? Let's be honest here. Vehicles are a huge purchase. People who buy a vehicle don't just decide to go into the dealership one day and buy a vehicle. If they have oodles of cash they might, but how many Ford buyers have oodles of cash? If they do, why would they be shopping at Ford?

I like Ford, but there are better cars available from high end manufacturers like BMW, Audi, and Jaguar.

Edited by SVT_MAN

The article said, "A similarly optioned Traverse LT2 goes for $41,315," which is only about a little less than 2K off the Flex's price, so it's not as if the Traverse would be that much better price wise than the Flex if it had been equipped properly to compare to their Flex.

Does Chevy not use the 'LTZ' model on Traverse, like they do on Tahoes, etc. ? I always thought that LTZ was their top-end model.

Whenever I hear the word "LTZ," I think of some horrible sounding 3.4L engine with a rusted-out muffler on a 1994 Lumina. Usually a 20 something with a backwards cap behind the wheel.

Price is comparable-I don't care how you check the numbers. Base price on a Traverse is substantially less expensive-well over $1k.

Right. And how many Traverses will you see that have NO optional equipment whatsoever on them? Once you equip the Traverse up to base Flex, you're at the same price, give or take. And the standard equipment on the base Flex is probably the bare minimum salable configuration nine times out of ten.

The leather in the Flex limited is gorgeous. The cloth interior in the Flex is terrible. Chevy has no suprises-nice cloth and leather.

Seems to be quite in keeping with the MOR blandness that characterizes the Impala and Malibu.

And I don't know why failing to offer mousefur cloth seats should be held against the Flex. I like their cloth seats far better than the cloth fabric on any GM product I've been in in recent memory. Opinions may differ, but I have a decided preference for the canvas-style cloth seats on the Flex.

The chevy has roof rails on all models-not so with the Flex-get the sunroof option (RJ both offer dual sunroofs-not sure what you are talking about) and the rails go away (I am pretty sure on this detail).

2009-ford-flex-i03.jpg

Traverse-Interior.jpg

See the difference? 3 rows of sunroofs, not 2. And about a $600 difference in price.

the GM crossovers are selling well

On whose authority do you have that? Do you think GM is pleased with those sales figures? Moreover, what do you figure GM's stratospheric incentives have to do with those sales figures?

Who wants to tell me right now that the Flex is going to outsell the Traverse in November? In December?

Who wants to tell me right now that the Traverse will have a higher transaction price and a higher gross than the Flex in November? In December?

The Flex looks better the more expensive it gets. Not so the Traverse. Frankly, when it comes to kicking out $35k plus on a CUV, the Flex looks a dang sight better than the Traverse.

You yourself said that you'd rather buy an Enclave at that price, and all that says to me is that GM screwed Chevy over to give Buick some shine.

But when you've got GM's distorted '60s era view of divisional fiefdoms, that's par for the course.