09 MKS review

igor

I keep hearing the same "Its great, but I wouldnt pay $50K for it"... I would ask these people, "What would it take, what feature is needed, for $50K to be ok?" I'm not saying I dont agree, I wish they would just put it in there. I too am in that camp, I just think for $50K there should be a V8, or something more powerful but I would like to see from these reviewers what they believe.

Considering that the car seems to be selling well, I would guess that there really isn't anything that Lincoln could do.................. short of putting a 700hp V8, a Mercedes or BMW badge, and lowering the price to $19,995............. that would sway those people.

In other words, there is nothing that would make them pay $50K for pretty much anything. The majority of those who complain the most, couldn't buy a $50K vehicle if their life depended on it.

Some of those who could pay it, wouldn't be caught dead in a Lincoln (well maybe dead........ it may be their last ride).

An Ecoboost version seems like a very compelling proposition.

I keep hearing the same "Its great, but I wouldnt pay $50K for it"... I would ask these people, "What would it take, what feature is needed, for $50K to be ok?" I'm not saying I dont agree, I wish they would just put it in there. I too am in that camp, I just think for $50K there should be a V8, or something more powerful but I would like to see from these reviewers what they believe.

I just built an AWD MKS loaded with a bunch of options and it listed for 47K. For 47K you aren't going to get much of anything with anywhere near that level of equipment on it (well aside from a Genesis). If you were to equip an M35x, 528xi, E350 4Matic, GS350 AWD, A6 3.0T Quattro with similar equipment levels you are looking at at least a 5K jump. Some of the models listed offer similar or less HP than the MKS, and if I'm not mistaken offer up less interior room.

Yes, you got the interior coloring I went with :).

I love the MKS, absolutely LOVE the car. I think it's just about the perfect compromise between a sport sedan and an CUV. I couldn't be happier, it's the best all around luxury vehicle. I would wait for the 2010 Taurus before dismissing the MKS however. I agree that the 2010 Taurus may make the case for the MKS a little harder, but right now I think the MKS obliterates it on so many levels.

Edited by BORG

As I said in the review - it is not a jab against Lincoln - I would rather forego some of the spoils and get a Taurus for 35k or so.

Igor

Amen brother !

When the pictures of prototype were shown around the company just prior to it being shown at the North American Auto Show several years ago and it still had a V8 slotted in and everyone said, "Alright ! Finally a real 'Hot Rod Lincoln' !!"

I kind of feel sorry for anyone not given the opportunity to get one with at least a 3.5L EB. Just like everyone who bought a Zephyr only to find out that after 1 year the name plate changed as did the base/only engine.

Edited by theoldwizard

As I said in the review - it is not a jab against Lincoln - I would rather forego some of the spoils and get a Taurus for 35k or so.

Igor

Igor, sometimes I think you are the brother I never had !

$15,000 for the Lincoln name plate and a nicer interior ? Not from my wallet. Especially when all of us knows it rolls down the same line as the Taurus. (I still shed a tear for the Wixom plant every time I drive by !)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Ford marketing needs to do more to differentiate Lincoln from Ford and Mercury cars than just interiors and electronics. The 3.5L EcoBoost (I wish they would call it TwinForce, at least in the Lincoln) should be a Lincoln exclusive option for at least year !

Well Acura will be building a V8, let's see if this helps RL sales.

My only concern is when the Egoboost 3.5L does finally come into the MKS, the 340HP/340TQ. of power isn't enough considering the competitions V8's. 2 years ago it WAS competitive, now...its, "eh, ok"....

Platform-sharing aside, I simply cannot see the point of luxury sedans. The comparable pedestrian models are nowadays so refined and luxurious already, they feature many of the same technologies and gadgets, and have very similar powertrains, that I cannot see the reason to pay additional $15,000 for Scottish leather, leather covered dash, soft touch glove box, and a Lincoln star on the hood. This is not an attack on Lincoln. I see no point in paying for Mercedes, Lexus or Cadillac either; sure they handle well, but most other cars do, too.

This is the result of everyone trying to be everything to everybody. Hence why we have fullsize SUVs running near 6-second 0-60s, Hyundai making luxury cars, Lexus making highly-powerful hybrids (well, one), etc., etc. The line keeps on getting blurred.

Well Acura will be building a V8, let's see if this helps RL sales.

My only concern is when the Egoboost 3.5L does finally come into the MKS, the 340HP/340TQ. of power isn't enough considering the competitions V8's. 2 years ago it WAS competitive, now...its, "eh, ok"....

The RL is a lost cause due to Acura's horrible design language.

If the 3.5 delivers stellar fuel economy while offering 20 less HP than the competition, I really don't see a big issue with that.

To me that answer boils down to one thing- How well the base car is received. If the Taurus was a vehicle held in higher regard than it is today then I think the consumer is more willing to spend for the step up version (don't bash me- I like the Taurus but it has not been well recieved and it is a bit of a bland design). The way Nissan, Honda and Toyota have done it works (good base car that is well received and build off that for the step up car- Infinity, Acura and Lexus). I may be way off base but as a consumer people are more apt to spend the extra money when they have the "impression" they are taking a step up from a good car.

Hopefully the next gen Taurus will begin to change the attitude. I for one anxiously await the next gen Taurus.

Amen brother !

When the pictures of prototype were shown around the company just prior to it being shown at the North American Auto Show several years ago and it still had a V8 slotted in and everyone said, "Alright ! Finally a real 'Hot Rod Lincoln' !!"

I kind of feel sorry for anyone not given the opportunity to get one with at least a 3.5L EB. Just like everyone who bought a Zephyr only to find out that after 1 year the name plate changed as did the base/only engine.

A wheezy 315hp V8 that has been panned in the Volvo S80? I don't think so.

This is quite the contrast from the Edmunds review.

Pros: Comfortable backseat, excellent Sync multimedia integration system, intuitive controls, handy Sirius Travel Link feature.

Cons: Poor fit and finish, coarse V6, wallowy handling, overly firm ride given handling characteristics, soft brake pedal.

http://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/mks/2009/testdrive.html

This is quite the contrast from the Edmunds review.

Pros: Comfortable backseat, excellent Sync multimedia integration system, intuitive controls, handy Sirius Travel Link feature.

Cons: Poor fit and finish, coarse V6, wallowy handling, overly firm ride given handling characteristics, soft brake pedal.

http://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/mks/2009/testdrive.html

Yes, and Edmunds review was in contrast with basically every other review out there as well.

" It also glides over potholes..., and road kill with nary a disturbance."

Nice!!! LOL that made me laugh!!!. You sure you weren't driving a Raptor??

Thanks for linking us to the review.

it really rode well - it was a pleasure getting behind the wheel everytime ... it was so smooth, yet when it turned it turned well .. I lvoed the car.

I do not knwo what Edmunds is talking about, though .. maybe the CA tester is all worn out - and mine was in a better shape!?!? after all not many major journals are based in Texas .. but still - their description if the handling is ridiculous ... yes, it is a ford, so you feel the road - unlike Lexus - but it rewards in the corners .. and the road feel is just enough to make you feel connected - it still gliterally glides over any road ...

Igor

I think that Edmunds hold Lexus in high regard. Thus, they have bought into the isolation chamber experience.

Also, from various Edmunds write-ups, on Lincolns.............. you can truly tell that they just do not get Lincoln at all. They don't know what to compare the various Lincolns with, since they really do not have any direct competitors. When they cannot pigeonhole something, and compare it directly to this or that, they are lost............... and feel a need to bash.

The buyers of the MKS seem to agree with you, not Edmunds. The test drive is what is selling the car, so it can't be the driving POS that Edmunds seems to think it is.

Of course, those who do not like the MKS, because it isn't the LS, or a RWD car, will hold on to that Edmunds review for all they are worth. Even though it does not agree with ANY other reviews out there.

There are others that believe Lincoln missed the mark with the MKS... (a small play on words).

I was not as impressed with the MKS as I was with the Genesis when I drove them the same weekend.

Don't get me wrong, the MKS is nice... but not to the same level as others in the same price range.

I happen to agree with Edmund's review :stats: . The MKS doesn't compare with a M-B, BMW, or even a Cadillac CTS..... or IMHO, a Hyundia... :ohsnap:

Maybe it's more like an American Volvo...... Hummm...

Thanks for the review Igor!

There are only 3 items I dislike about the MKS style.

1) The dang gauges look to plain jane and 1980ish. Could have improved on this aspect.

2) As with the new Stang and F150, I dislike the center stack, simply too busy in my opinion.

3) The rear air vents are way to cheap and cheesy looking. My '99 Explorer had a better looking setup, and that thing was ugly.

Otherwise from the style aspect, looks to be a perfect car.

Now Igor, in the pic of the rear seat, are the front seats pushed all the way back? Simply ask because my wife's Altima looks to have more rear leg room than this MKS, which would be a shame.

Of course I've never driven one, which could give me a completely different opinion of the overall car.

EDIT: Updated post.

Edited by V8-X