Is it time?

Is it time for the return of the notchback? If Ford makes this an option, I think that the Mustang might appeal to a lot more people. True it might hurt the Ford Taurus SHO sales but it could pull some possible Camaro, or Challenger buyers over to the mustang. What do you think?

post-33357-1231122660_thumb.jpg

Is it time for the return of the notchback? If Ford makes this an option, I think that the Mustang might appeal to a lot more people. True it might hurt the Ford Taurus SHO sales but it could pull some possible Camaro, or Challenger buyers over to the mustang. What do you think?

I don't like that particular design, but I like the idea. The back seat is almost uninhabitable as it stands now. The problems are both headroom and legroom. So a notchback would solve or at least greatly improve the headroom issue. Hey, I have 2 kids, they're growing, and I need the space.

I don't like that particular design, but I like the idea. The back seat is almost uninhabitable as it stands now. The problems are both headroom and legroom. So a notchback would solve or at least greatly improve the headroom issue. Hey, I have 2 kids, they're growing, and I need the space.

Is your Pony a 89? Ford did expand the leg room somewhat in 2005. It's hardly cavernous, but it will seat 4 NORMAL people OK. A friend of mine is 6'4"....and he's gotten in the back seat twice (why I don't know!). If they could make the seats thinner it would help.

I have nothing against a coupe as it could spawn a Cougar. But it would require a LOT of different sheet metal changes.

post-19198-1231184812_thumb.jpg

I just don't see the point of a "notchback" on the S197 at all, no matter what it looks like. It's not like the S197, or even the SN95's were true "fastbacks" to begin with anyway. The greenhouse was already extended rearward in an effort to make the back seat a bit more habitable compared to the Foxes while giving it a sporting look. Not to mention a notchback would probably kill the Mustang's already none-too-impressive airflow properties.

Is your Pony a 89? Ford did expand the leg room somewhat in 2005. It's hardly cavernous, but it will seat 4 NORMAL people OK. A friend of mine is 6'4"....and he's gotten in the back seat twice (why I don't know!). If they could make the seats thinner it would help.

I have nothing against a coupe as it could spawn a Cougar. But it would require a LOT of different sheet metal changes.

That would make a great base for a Cougar.

Rework that front end and it would be Cougar looking..

i say do a 4 and 5 door mustang like was rumored a few years ago.

i say do a 4 and 5 door mustang like was rumored a few years ago.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Why is it you only show up when it comes to recommending new Mustang body styles? I can't possibly think of a WORSE idea for the Mustang than what you suggest. Even FWD would be more acceptable than to EVER see a Mustang station wagon.

Edited by NickF1011

Yeah, mine's an 89 LX 5.0 hatchback. In my 89, there is a lot more rear seat legroom than in the '05's & up. And I'm 6'1" so it's not like I have the driver's seat forward at all. When the driver's seat is placed where I am comfortable, there is some 5-6" between my seatback and the leading edge of the rear passenger cushion. When I do the same on an '05-08, there is barely 2". I had an 07 V6 rental Mustang, and a petite woman who was with us fit in the back seat with what looked to be plenty of spare room. I still don't get that. But my yardstick is whether or not I can fit in the back, as I often carry my kids or company visitors with me, and even my 13-year-old in squeezed back there. I guess it's just not the right car for my current position in life. :-( And that's sad because the Mustang is the only car that really makes my heart skip a beat. It's looking more and more like I may have to use my Pony as downpayment $$ on an Edge or Fusion. That may not be so bad, but I would really miss that car. I'm the original owner.

Edited by 89-Pony

Yeah, mine's an 89 LX 5.0 hatchback. In my 89, there is a lot more rear seat legroom than in the '05's & up. And I'm 6'1" so it's not like I have the driver's seat forward at all. When the driver's seat is placed where I am comfortable, there is some 5-6" between my seatback and the leading edge of the rear passenger cushion. When I do the same on an '05-08, there is barely 2". I had an 07 V6 rental Mustang, and a petite woman who was with us fit in the back seat with what looked to be plenty of spare room. I still don't get that. But my yardstick is whether or not I can fit in the back, as I often carry my kids or company visitors with me, and even my 13-year-old in squeezed back there. I guess it's just not the right car for my current position in life. :-( And that's sad because the Mustang is the only car that really makes my heart skip a beat. It's looking more and more like I may have to use my Pony as downpayment $$ on an Edge or Fusion. That may not be so bad, but I would really miss that car. I'm the original owner.

Why would you need to sell the 89 to buy something new? It's not like you would get much money for an '89 anyway on trade or private party sell and if it becomes a second vehicle, it probably wouldn't cost a thing to insure it. I kept my Cobra when I bought my Mazda6, and you know what? My overall insurance actually got CHEAPER to insure both of vehicles instead of just the Cobra as a primary. My Cobra now costs a grand total of $300 a year for comprehensive coverage. That way you get to keep your toy for when you want it and you get the more practical vehicle for when you need it. :)

Why would you need to sell the 89 to buy something new? It's not like you would get much money for an '89 anyway on trade or private party sell and if it becomes a second vehicle, it probably wouldn't cost a thing to insure it. I kept my Cobra when I bought my Mazda6, and you know what? My overall insurance actually got CHEAPER to insure both of vehicles instead of just the Cobra as a primary. My Cobra now costs a grand total of $300 a year for comprehensive coverage. That way you get to keep your toy for when you want it and you get the more practical vehicle for when you need it. :)

You mean my '89 won't fetch $12 grand?!? But it only has 150,000 miles on it! :-) I see your point. I insure mine for 7 months out of the year, and that costs me a whopping $350 through Allstate. I can insure it as classic through Heacock Classic for aroung $100/yr. My thought was, if I sold the Pony for $4k that should save me about $75 a month in car payments -- not insignificant. I may looked at a gently used Fusion to replace my beater (97 Altima, 164k miles). Those seem to be going for dirt cheap.

You mean my '89 won't fetch $12 grand?!? But it only has 150,000 miles on it! :-) I see your point. I insure mine for 7 months out of the year, and that costs me a whopping $350 through Allstate. I can insure it as classic through Heacock Classic for aroung $100/yr. My thought was, if I sold the Pony for $4k that should save me about $75 a month in car payments -- not insignificant. I may looked at a gently used Fusion to replace my beater (97 Altima, 164k miles). Those seem to be going for dirt cheap.

Used Fusion sounds like a good solution. Didn't know you had the Altima also. Should trade that one instead and keep the Pony. :rockon:

Used Fusion sounds like a good solution. Didn't know you had the Altima also. Should trade that one instead and keep the Pony. :rockon:

Without a doubt, the Altima goes. It is my commuter car, I'm putting 20k miles/yr on it. It has 160,000 miles now and I don't see it lasting. It needs replaced. I wanted something bigger this time. Love the Edge, I'd really love one of those. We have an Escape for a family ride, love it too. Wouldn't mind having one for myself, leave the other one for the wife, gas mileage be damned. The only benefit to selling the Pony is that I reduce the payment on my new "necessary" car, and I then get to pull into / out of a warm dry garage every day (where the Pony sits now) -- I really hate scraping the Altima off in the snow. OK, I'm getting old.

Edited by 89-Pony

Without a doubt, the Altima goes. It is my commuter, 20k miles/yr. It needs replaced. I wanted something bigger this time. Love the Edge. We have an Escape for a family ride, love it. The only benefit to selling the Pony is that I reduce the payment on my new "necessary" car, and I then get to pull into / out of a warm dry garage every day (where the Pony sits now) -- I really hate scraping the Altima off in the snow. OK, I'm getting old.

Understand what you mean. I only have a 1-car garage, so the Cobra takes that up in my case too.

Yeah, mine's an 89 LX 5.0 hatchback. In my 89, there is a lot more rear seat legroom than in the '05's & up.

Nope

I had a 90 Mustang convertible....and an 82 Capri 5.0 hatch.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...d-mustang-6.htm

90 Mustang: Covn. coupe, hatch

Rear Head Room, in. 37.0 35.9 35.7

Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 30.7 30.7 30.7

2005 Mustang Conv, Coupe

Rear Head Room, in. 36.3 35.0

Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 30.3 31.0

Granted, none of them have a LOT of rear seat head/leg room. But for what it is, it's OK as occasional use seating.

Not more room in the front either.

05 Mustang: Max. Front Leg Room, in. 42.7 42.7

90 Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.7 41.7 41.7

I will say the newer interior has a higher belt line and you have to sit closer to the higher dash, giving it a more closed-in feeling. The 79-93 is a lot more airy, sort of like a Prelude, while the newer 05+ is more like a Chrysler 300.

Nope

I had a 90 Mustang convertible....and an 82 Capri 5.0 hatch.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...d-mustang-6.htm

90 Mustang: Covn. coupe, hatch

Rear Head Room, in. 37.0 35.9 35.7

Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 30.7 30.7 30.7

2005 Mustang Conv, Coupe

Rear Head Room, in. 36.3 35.0

Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 30.3 31.0

Granted, none of them have a LOT of rear seat head/leg room. But for what it is, it's OK as occasional use seating.

Wow, a whopping 0.3" more. Now go and actually SIT in it and tell me what you think. Sometimes raw numbers don't tell the whole story.

Not more room in the front either.

05 Mustang: Max. Front Leg Room, in. 42.7 42.7

90 Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.7 41.7 41.7

I will say the newer interior has a higher belt line and you have to sit closer to the higher dash, giving it a more closed-in feeling. The 79-93 is a lot more airy, sort of like a Prelude, while the newer 05+ is more like a Chrysler 300.

I just loved the feel of the new one. My head bumps the headliner and the edge of the sun visor, so I feel a little closed in in my '89. That factory sunroof really cut down on headroom, because they have to lower the surrounding headliner. That's one option I'd leave off next time.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but that roofline just looks wrong. Look at the profile of the '65-'68 coupes. None had a quarter window that big.

Yeah, I don't think that's working, either, but I suppose it could be done.

Sorry but that looks extremely odd

I unfortunately agree.

See now something like that doesn't look too bad.