Next Generation Mustang

Tico

I am sure all have heard that yes indeed the 50th anniversary Mustang will lose weight. I would think they would revert to a Fox size but even then they wouldn't be able to get to the Fox's weight as IRS and other features add weight. There again the new engines are light weight. Would not be surprised to see a couple of Eco Boost engines (2.0 & 3.5) . The real question still is what will they look like? I could understand modern as long as we get the traditional styling clues. For some reason I still think they may surprise us with an all new platform, I hope. What do you think, maybe a year before we get any real news?

Honestly I am so obsessed with the current model that it depresses me to even think about a new model. But hey if I buy a 5.0 now I can get a trade for the new one!

But to speculate I hope ford puts in something that changes that axle. They have done about everything they can with the current. I know the "new" ford not only has it in them but also has made me excited like my dad was with the 64 when he was a kid.

I feel the same way about the current model. I am finally getting mine and now I hope they don't change it!

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping for a leaner look as well as loss of weight. I really like the current model but its beltline and trunk are high. Increasing the side glass area a bit would help it visually. I'm not at all opposed to an EB2.0L or 2.3L I4 for the base model. I still hope we'll see V8s for the performance models. There is nothing like the roar of an American V8. I don't care if a V6 is made to be more powerful; the V8 adds to the appeal and experience. I would like to see Ford make a smaller V8 optional on the Pony Package Mustang. Same with the Camaro - I would prefer an RS with the 5.3L V8 and automatic for a great cruiser.

• 1 month later...

The S197 and DEW really don't have any roots, they share maybe floor pans and how the fuel tank was setup under the rear seat....otherwise not much else shared there.

As for weight savings...depends on how Ford defines them....the Current Explorer is only 100lbs lighter then the old BOF Explorer...but its also a larger vehicle in size...look at the articles posted about its weight, seems like the weight savings was done through smoke and mirrors to a point.

I don't see the Mustang losing 500 lbs...its going to be lucky to loose 100 or 200 lbs in its next gen...but we sure aren't going back to the days of a 2500lb Mustang anytime soon.

Only if the industry shifts to aluminum/carbon fiber space frames to reduce weight and meet CAFE requirements.

i hope that the 50th model will be a retro model of the Mustang II from the mid 70's. I believe that model was the model that had the highest sales of them all, even with the problems of the oil crisis and loss in power. Remeber if Ford can keep the weight down to lets say 2,000-2,500 pounds an eco-boost engine will be awsome i think that gets about 350hb right?

oy yes thats an idea complete with farah fawcett...no way should ford ever make atempt to re-live those dark ages..the product back then was crap..any designs cues invoking the stang2 is about as dumb and useless as a screen door on a submarine

ps: at this time i have no problem with a hybrid version of the stang...if ford drops the stang i will never again set foot on any ford dealership and will do my best to make sure no family member does either...

Edited by snooter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Call me a dreamer but in my world the top two choices woulb be....

1. Boss 429

2. Mach1 428 Cobrajet

The great thing about Mustang is its broad appeal amongst performance orientated buyers.

Ford is to applauded for covering so many markets from base V6 all the way through to 600 hp S/C V8s.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest issue of Motor Trend has an article on what they called the Ford Evos concept. Ford should slap a pony in the middle of the grill and call it the 2015 Mustang. All they need to do is add some Mustang touches to it. Pony grill, Mustang taillights, plus a few other cues. Man that thing is beautiful!

The latest issue of Motor Trend has an article on what they called the Ford Evos concept. Ford should slap a pony in the middle of the grill and call it the 2015 Mustang. All they need to do is add some Mustang touches to it. Pony grill, Mustang taillights, plus a few other cues. Man that thing is beautiful!

I think this is the real suprise coming in 2015. What the sheet metal will look like. Ford has more than enough options when it comes to power trains They will offer what ever makes sense at the time. I am sure a V8 option will be there. Ecoboost 4 will depend on gas prices but is likely. What I really can't wait to see is the sheet metal.

You must admit that is what will likely make or break sales of the car. So anyone seen any good photoshop of the Evos Concept into a Mustang anywhere on the internet? I am sure the new car will be a mix of the current Mustang and the Evos but how excactly will they pull this off?

Motor Trend is reporting that the 2015 will use the 3.7L V6 and 5.0L V8 for its mainstream models as these plants aren't that old. The latter may get direct injection for a boost in both fuel economy and performance, a wise move for both engines IMHO. The Ecoboost 3.5L is too close in performance to the cheaper to build 5.0L so why offer it, reports MT and I agree. An EB 2.3L I4 could make it for a new SVO model, which would be cool, and other sources are saying the same thing. An IRS is just about guaranteed. The Shelby Cobra will likely get bored out to 5.8L (351 cubic inches!) and a power boost to 600 HP or so. Over all, the magazines say the Mustang will lose some weight due to shorter overhangs front and rear but it probably won't be a huge amount; my guess is 100-200 lbs. Maybe. The convertible will return, of course, and the over all styling of it and the sedan will move away from the retro look. Cues from the EVOS will certainly make it but I sincerely doubt that it will look all that much like the new concept. Look for an EVOS shaped grille and its slim headlights, which will be Ford's new trademark front end across the board. Watch for the next gen MyFord/SYNC to be the focal point of the new interior. We'll see!

Personally, I pray the "redesigned" Mustang has nothing to do with the EVOS concept. Ford's decision to take a few cues from the classic styling is what really revived the public's interest in the car. The EVOS concept is just way too radical for me. But of course everyone has different tastes, so we will indeed just have to wait and see what happens!

• Like 1

Motor Trend is reporting that the 2015 will use the 3.7L V6 and 5.0L V8 for its mainstream models as these plants aren't that old. The latter may get direct injection for a boost in both fuel economy and performance, a wise move for both engines IMHO. The Ecoboost 3.5L is too close in performance to the cheaper to build 5.0L so why offer it, reports MT and I agree.

Ecoboost outperforms the 5.0 in F150, I don't see anything changing that in a Mustang especially since the Ecoboost is power limited

due to availability of transmissions, Ford built one with 420 hp/465 lb ft but didn't have a durable engine for F150 service.

An EB 2.3L I4 could make it for a new SVO model, which would be cool, and other sources are saying the same thing. An IRS is just about guaranteed. The Shelby Cobra will likely get bored out to 5.8L (351 cubic inches!) and a power boost to 600 HP or so.

Switch EB 20 for EB 2.3 for young driver insurance and fuel econo freaks and add Nano EB 27 V6 and we're on the same page...

Over all, the magazines say the Mustang will lose some weight due to shorter overhangs front and rear but it probably won't be a huge amount; my guess is 100-200 lbs. Maybe. The convertible will return, of course, and the over all styling of it and the sedan will move away from the retro look. Cues from the EVOS will certainly make it but I sincerely doubt that it will look all that much like the new concept. Look for an EVOS shaped grille and its slim headlights, which will be Ford's new trademark front end across the board. Watch for the next gen MyFord/SYNC to be the focal point of the new interior. We'll see!

Fingers crossed, change for the better is always welcome. So long as Mustang retains its key American traits all is well...

Edited by jpd80

The Shelby Cobra will likely get bored out to 5.8L (351 cubic inches!) and a power boost to 600 HP or so.

Rumor has it that will happen for the 2013 model year as a counter to the ZL1 Camaro. Actually it is no longer a rumor as it was confirmed as part of the new UAW contract.

Edited by blksn8k2

Rumor has it that will happen for the 2013 model year as a counter to the ZL1 Camaro. Actually it is no longer a rumor as it was confirmed as part of the new UAW contract.

Unreleased Cobra Jet, power level from the 5.0 Coyote should be interesting too...

• Like 2

They actually list in the contract a specific engine and its displacement? Interesting. Is that common?

Eco 4 cyl base (LX?) hp and size to be determined

EB v-6 option (Pony?) hp and size tbd

5.0L (GT) Solid rear axle and 425hp

5.0L EB (Mach 1) IRS and 475hp

5.8 (Boss 351) SRA standard and IRS optional 550-600hp

As far as shelby, he can do what he wants, I'm only talking fords here.

Edit: and that evos? As anything other than a mustang, fine. But if anybody wants that as a mustang, you can stick it up your ass! That would be FUGLY with a horse on it!

Comments earlier about copy a mustang II? Cause they sold so well? :finger:

And where are they today? They are attrocious! Pinto with a different nose!

Blech!

Edited by goinbroke2
  • Like 1