3.5L EB in 2010 Flex

baggs32

Ah yes, the "mythical" 2.5L EB !

Anyone seen one Ford press release ever mentioning it ?

The 2.5L I-4 is Ford's newest engine, but it is just an upgrade to the old 2.3L. I understand that Ford is working on a major advancement in the 2.0 L I-4, including EB and beyound. There should be a new smaller version of the 3.5L V-6 coming out. This likely means that much of the technology from the new 2.0L may end up in a redone 3.5L, as well the smaller version. That makes the 2.5L I-4 and 2.5L I-5 out of date and needing upgrading or replacing. What ever and when ever the replacement will be, it will get EcoBoost. The problem is that you can't get the EcoBoost until you have the engine.

I expect Ford anounce that they are developing a new EB engine in the 2.5 L range after they start earning a profit.

Since this would be a powerful engine that could be the standard engine in the Flex, I would hope it could be an I-6. I would think it could easily fit into the Next Generation Fusion(also the C2 Focus) and power the Flex.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2.5L I-4 is Ford's newest engine, but it is just an upgrade to the old 2.3L. I understand that Ford is working on a major advancement in the 2.0 L I-4, including EB and beyound. There should be a new smaller version of the 3.5L V-6 coming out. This likely means that much of the technology from the new 2.0L may end up in a redone 3.5L, as well the smaller version. That makes the 2.5L I-4 and 2.5L I-5 out of date and needing upgrading or replacing. What ever and when ever the replacement will be, it will get EcoBoost. The problem is that you can't get the EcoBoost until you have the engine.

I expect Ford anounce that they are developing a new EB engine in the 2.5 L range after they start earning a profit.

Since this would be a powerful engine that could be the standard engine in the Flex, I would hope it could be an I-6. I would think it could easily fit into the Next Generation Fusion(also the C2 Focus) and power the Flex.

I truley doubt an inline 6....too long for other applications ( ie hot rod Focii and Fusions.....)

• 4 weeks later...

In the middle of this discussion, someone brought up the Toyota Highlander 3rd row seat. I think the Toyota Highlander is a clever design.

The Highlander's leg rooms are 43.2/38.3/29.9. But the second row can adjust fore and aft, standard for all trims. To accommodate my own use, I can adjust the 1st row to 39" leg room, 39" 2nd row and then the 3rd row will have 33.5"; matching my Freestyle very usable, even for adults (not too tall). And the roof is very tall, making it cargo room behind 1st row 94.1 cu.ft. Better than my Freestyle around 85 cu.ft. and Flex's 83.2 cu.ft. My Freestyle couldn't fit a refrigerator because of the 2rd row low roof, the Highlander might.

The length of it is only 188.4" making it parking easy in the city.

Green technology is a movement. I really want a hybrid that can carry at least 7 passengers. When it is time to replace my Freestyle in a couple years, I will hope for something "Green" in the market. Right now, the Highlander hybrid is the only closest thing I can get. I hope Ford or GM create something "Green" by that time! :drool:

p.s. The 22mpg eccoboost is disappointing to me, not really something to brag about.

Edited by LoveTaurus

I've read just about this whole topic and WOW! Seems like a lot of people like to moan about something without looking at perspective. 24 MPG with today's numbers on a huge car is GREAT. What everyone forgets is that the good old US Gubm'ent changed the MPG ratings a few years ago. Head over to www.fueleconomy.gov to do some comparisons.

What I did surprised me! Currently I drive an '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT and am looking at a Flex when the EcoBost comes out. My current car was rated 20/27 back in 2004. Today it's 17/24. That's a car with a 3.5L 260hp V6 and a 6 speed manual.

Compare that to the Flex AWD and it's 16/22, so I'd loose 1 city MPG and 2 highway MPG's. Given that I routinely can get 27 (as verified by the NAV's MPG function) on straight highway, I'd estimate I'll get 25 in a Flex. Not too shabby for a much larger car. Not to mention I should be able to run regular, something my G35 doesn't like too much.

Not to mention the emissions on the Ford 3.5 are Bin5/ULEV II, which are great.

Sorry, this fuel economy is much ado about nothing given the size, weight and performance.

Me, I can't wait till the EB so I can see about this Flex.

Consumers are looking for green technology, including many industries!

I agreed with any of the members comments, but the number 22 just doesn't attract! For myself, I don't need the extra horses. I have already dropped my interest with the MKT. I will hope for something when the I4 Eccoboost come to the market.

I also hope for fuel cell, or plug-in. I hope for something doing better fuel ecco than my Freestyle.

The 2010 Fusion hybrid is very surprising, if Ford design a OK workable 3rd row in it, I am the first customer!

Another thing I can imagine is the next generation Highlander may get the "run on electric up to 47 mph". That could end up 33/26 city/hwy!

Edited by LoveTaurus

As was said earlier, 22 mpg highway matches that of the NA 3.5L V6 with AWD. I think Ford is just proving that what they said before was exactly right. EB will give you V8 power with V6 FE. This new EB Flex is not quite as luxurious as a BMW X5 or the Audi Q7, but it's going to run with them, be less expensive to buy, and get better FE. I think that will make some, probably just a few mind you, shoppers of those big luxury CUVs take a second look at the Ford. Or the MKT since it will be very similar.

Baby your turbo.

At start, let the motor run for and extra few seconds so that oil can get to the bearings before you relly spool it up.

Before you shut the motor down, let the motor idle for a few extra seconds. You don't want the turbo to be spinning fast when you shut down the motor because it will be spinning without any lubricant!

Keep in mind most turbos spin at tens of TOUSANDS RPMs when even under a moderate loads.

Keep the oil and coolant fresh and your turbo will run for a long time.

[1] fine prints.

????? What fine print?

The fine print reads as follows: "Class is full size CUVs FWD". Guess what, if you change that to AWD it still matches the best in class. What are you trying to compare it to? Getting upset because a full size, luxury, AWD, seven seater doesn't get the same mileage as a Civic is asenine.

For this class of vehicle, there is currently no better epa ratings available, no matter what "fine print" you gripe about.

Best in class = Best in class.

Anybody else have another way to explain this using simpler sentences?

Anyone?

Edited by chiefstang

Consumers are looking for green technology, including many industries!

Not I. I want performance and since the fuel economy is roughly the same as my present car and the car has less emissions, it's a bonus.

If consumers were looking for green technology they would skip hybrids. Those batteries have lots of toxic metals which have to be mined somehow..... They'd be looking at Diesels - lots more MPG than gas engines. Then again many are just sheep and buy what the media tells them to rather than think about issues.

They're now blaming Global Warming (ignoring that the Northern Hemisphere has had a record cold winter this year) on industrialized agriculture. :banghead:

dropped my interest with the MKT. I will hope for something when the I4 Ecco come to the market.

And you'll probably get the same or worse gas mileage. I owned 1986 4 cylinder Mustang. Got the same fuel economy that I got with my 1997 Cobra. Why? On the highway to keep up 75 mph I had to keep the revs up around 2-3k and the gas pedal 1/2 way to the floor. In the V8 it loafed at under 2k and barely touched the gas. Same thing with the I4 EB - you may have to keep your foot into it to go anywhere and negate any fuel savings.

????? What fine print?

The fine print reads as follows: "Class is full size CUVs FWD". Guess what, if you change that to AWD it still matches the best in class. What are you trying to compare it to? Getting upset because a full size, luxury, AWD, seven seater doesn't get the same mileage as a Civic is asenine.

For this class of vehicle, there is currently no better epa ratings available, no matter what "fine print" you gripe about.

Best in class = Best in class.

Anybody else have another way to explain this using simpler sentences?

Anyone?

Nope. You nailed it.