Lincoln MKT

Fords#1Fan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the concept was cool looking, but it's lost something in the transition to real product. Can you say... STATIONWAGON!

Kind of reminds me of the Olds VistaCruiser and Buick Skywagons from back in the late 60s. I thought they were pretty cool for wagon back in the day..

post-19252-1231797090_thumb.jpg

Ugly whale, Just put the 6.2 in the Navigator instead of wasting time with this pile of crap

This is how you keep the Navigator owners who want a better ride and better fuel economy in a Ford product. Otherwise you lose them to a competitor and they may never come back. That's what happened before Ford had the Fusion and Edge/Flex. They were losing Taurus/Expedition/Explorer customers to the imports.

Perhaps. I never really liked the concept version either, but I never got to see it in person.

Well, I hope it looks better in person for Lincoln/Ford's sake.

loving the interior! though im going with rmc on this one, where are the cupholders?

the outside looks good to me except the back looks a little um akward. probably better in person just like the fusion was

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/detroit-200...ncoln-mkt-live/

There they are - hidden under the front armrests as I thought. Not sure how I feel about that though, b/c then the armrest may be too far back to use (comfortably) if you have a drink.

Looks like 2nd and 3rd row may both be powered. That'd be neato.

Look at the photos immediately before and after the one you linked to.

Well, I knew the 2nd row would be powered (Flex has that), but I really like the fact that the 3rd row is now powered (I wish Flex had that and A/C seats, got spoiled with the Expy having those 2 things) :D And I didn't notice that picture after the one I posted showing the 3rd row buttons.

That rear end needs some serious work. It's sad, because the back of the MKX is gorgeous.

Personally, I (and it sounds like most of us) would've never signed off on the back-end design. I would've made it MKX-like, perhaps changing the lightbar slightly to differentiate the two. I love the rear of the MKX, it's clean, but great looking at the same time. MKT is clean - too clean, it needs more character, or at least needs something. As stated earlier (I think in this thread) I prefer the rear bumper look.

Doesn't look quite as bad from a higher shooting angle. And the red paint helps hide the disgusting plastic surrounding the Lincoln logo.

Still digging it in profile.

And I too think the rear looks better higher up, it takes away some of the bulk for whatever reason. The rear, IMO is the biggest problem with this car, everything else works (or appears to) for me. And I don't know why they don't just make the whole emblem stick out further to better disguise the camera, sort of like Ford's but not really....I mean bulge the sheetmetal out enough behind the emblem to give it the space required to put in a camera underneath it.

In profile, it looks good, but again it suffers from the oversized/bloated rear end.

after seeing that tail shot of the MKT and now the MKC concept, I wonder if the "bustle rack"/decklid rear end is going to be a Lincon styling mark

I hope not. :redcard:

I agree, that new styling feature is ugly.

Where's the frame? I mean, you're supposed to be able to put a bus billboard on this thing right?

Harping aside, I really like the front end and the simple, smooth elegance in everything ahead of the rear wheel. Then it all just goes to hell. WTF were they thinking? The haunch is absolutey pointless and serves no purpose than to create a potential blind spot, and make the expanse of wasteland metal above the fender seem that much bigger.

I figured out another subtle "gotcha" in the design, is the the lack of a bumper-step into the tailgate. Can't say I've ever noticed that on a CUV before. By pushing the body out all the way to the back like that, the vehicle seems larger than it is... and needs to be. The overhang past the rear wheel is just about the right size, but the D-pillar is too thick.

The taillight treatment is awkward. It's terribly busy without elegance, the Lincoln Star looks like an afterthought above that stupid camera wart, and the rest of the tailgate is devoid of any character at all. I'm not a designer by any stretch but I think I have a better idea for that theme. And what's with the giant, swoopy "T" in mkT?

Anyway. I want to like it but it seems half-baked to me. Like they just gave up at the rear wheel. Nothing about this car says "premium" or "Lincoln" to me.

But I am in the minority that likes the front, apparently. So they have a small win there I guess.

That is one sexy booty if you ask me,I think it looks cool if you ask me.

lincolnmktlive---07.jpg

lincolnmktlive---05.jpg

Damn that rear end looks horrible. That top pic simply looks like it's floating in the air.

Like everyone, from the rear door handles back around, this car loses me. Think everything else about the MKT has it's goods and bads, but I just can't get passed how bad they F'd up the rear 1/4 of it.

I like the grill style, but it seems a little large and over powers the rest of the front clip design. The profile isn't too bad,but nothing special either. From the profile pic, the front bumper in the profile looks like it gives the MKT a goatie, with the silver or red depending on the pic you look at, coming down in the front and the black plastic behind it in front of the wheels.

Nothing much about my comment that others haven't already stated. I think this MKT has fail written all over it and even though I'm not a big Flex fan, I'd buy the Flex a lot sooner than I'd consider this.

Edited by V8-X

Sorry, this picture will be small, but it's the best one I found. It's a quick chop of the side view in an attempt to reduce the whatever you'd like to call it that's wrong with the rear. Essentially, I added a bumper area, and made the taillights slightly bigger. I'm adding the original for comparison. Chop's on the left, original on the right.

EDIT: I also reduced the size of the D-pillar slightly.

I think it reduced some of the bulkiness, while not taking away from the design, or lack thereof.

post-28332-1231805280_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1231805407_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Nothing a face lift can't fix (isn't that always the case with Ford) ;)

Unfortunately, at times it does. I plan on doing a chop to illustrate the idea I posted above - I'll get to it when I can.

Also, I think adding a liftgate handle (one like on Flex/MKX/Edge, w/ the button in it) could help/be an easy way to take up some of the vast expanse of emptiness known as the rear of the MKT. To be honest, I don't know why there isn't one....you're not always going to have your key with you to push the keyfob button to open it, and it's an [inexcusable on this vehicle, IMO] inconvenience to walk to the front and push the interior button.

Unfortunately, at times it does. I plan on doing a chop to illustrate the idea I posted above - I'll get to it when I can.

Also, I think adding a liftgate handle (one like on Flex/MKX/Edge, w/ the button in it) could help/be an easy way to take up some of the vast expanse of emptiness known as the rear of the MKT. To be honest, I don't know why there isn't one....you're not always going to have your key with you to push the keyfob button to open it, and it's an [inexcusable on this vehicle, IMO] inconvenience to walk to the front and push the interior button.

In the real world, I don' think there is any doubt that this car will jump out, especially with that rear, it looks nothing liek anything on the road. It screams Lincoln. I hope it looks better in real life, sometimes you have to have faith in the desingers and not photographers.

In the real world, I don' think there is any doubt that this car will jump out, especially with that rear, it looks nothing liek anything on the road. It screams Lincoln. I hope it looks better in real life, sometimes you have to have faith in the desingers and not photographers.

Whoever at Ford (or hired by them) is responsible for the awful photographs need to be fired...........now.

When a casual shot looks better than a studio.....something is wrong. Maybe they're (the ad agency) excellent at shooting refrigerators.

post-19198-1231876116_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1231876125_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

Whoever at Ford (or hired by them) is responsible for the awful photographs need to be fired...........now.

When a casual shot looks better than a studio.....something is wrong. Maybe they're (the ad agency) excellent at shooting refrigerators.

What it boils down to is that they are trying to imply a sense of speed with the forced prospective shots that look like you have to be 6 inches tall to take, like the First shot. The shot of the red one is how you can see the car in person, and thus looks better.

I have always said that about Ford's photos...I don't know who is doing them and what agency Ford is using, but they look awful. Personally I would contract whoever the director of photography is for Top Gear.

Edited by Catalepsy

Four twelve-packs couldn't make this car appealing. The middle I like. The nose with the baleen whale grill I knew I hated, but somehow they made a rear-end that looks uglier than the front. Bravo, didn't think they had it in them. :banghead:

Are there two conflicting schools of design thought at Ford? I was very impressed with the new Taurus, and though I don't like the Flex, from a design standpoint, it is reasonably consistent. Did the NA Focus team tackle this one and that small C-car concept?