Smoke (burning smell) from vents with heat on

44pride

I have a problem with my 08 ford edge and I'm sure some of you have the same problem... It started with an intermittent "plastic" burning smell coming through the vents. At first, the smell was mild and only happened on occasion. However, the smell is becoming more and more intense and more putrid. It almost smells like an oil burning smell now.

Today, I actually saw smoke coming through the defroster vents while decelerating from a highway off-ramp.

I've only noticed this problem when I've had the heat on. Being that its still winter, I haven't tried it with the A/C yet. I especially notice this when coming to a stop from 45+ mph on an incline or decline. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know what the cause/cure is?

• Thanks 1

I have a problem with my 08 ford edge and I'm sure some of you have the same problem... It started with an intermittent "plastic" burning smell coming through the vents. At first, the smell was mild and only happened on occasion. However, the smell is becoming more and more intense and more putrid. It almost smells like an oil burning smell now.

Today, I actually saw smoke coming through the defroster vents while decelerating from a highway off-ramp.

I've only noticed this problem when I've had the heat on. Being that its still winter, I haven't tried it with the A/C yet. I especially notice this when coming to a stop from 45+ mph on an incline or decline. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know what the cause/cure is?

Hi 44pride. :D Do you have an AWD model? There is a known problem with some AWD Edge models. The PTU unit can develop a leaky seal. Look under your Edge after it is parked all night and see if there are any spots on the driveway from a leak.

Best thing to do: Whether you have an AWD or FWD model, you need to have the problem diagnosed and repaired. So take it in for service and let them take a look.

Let us know what they find.

Good luck. :beerchug:

• 12 years later...