'10 fusion sel vs accord ex

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans...ison/index.html

Might all this change be enough to vault the Fusion to the top of the sales charts? To find out, we ordered up a similarly revised 2010 Toyota Camry -- the segment's sales leader. Although the cars were available in dealerships, Toyota declined to participate (perhaps out of fear of the more substantially updated Ford?), so we procured the sales runner-up, Honda's Accord EX.

long story short, accord wins because of the fusions tranny lag issues

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that the Fusion is both heavier and has less horsepower than the Accord, but for all intents and purposes is in a dead heat with the Accord in acceleration. Nary a mention of this in the article, however. Honestly, it's impossible not to rank the Fusion #1. The amount of goodies you get on the Ford for the price is almost enough to warrant the #1 spot alone! But it will be a cold day in hell when MT picks a Ford over a foreign brand in a comparo.

The Accord does not have a manumatic transmission, which means that in order to duplicate MT's efforts you have to make sure you aren't too heavy handed when attempting to row through the the gate manually. We have two Infiniti products with paddles and an "auto manual". Outside of utilizing Drive Sport mode I find them utterly useless. Which is why I think MT should have stuck to throwing these vehicles in drive and letting the transmission decide.

From uncompetitive to a dead heat in five years...and people thought Hyundai rose quickly.

A decent review with some frivilous things, especially making a decision assuming that manually-shifting an automatic family sedan is going to matter one whit to more than 0.001% of the potential customers. No mention of in-cabin ergonomics? Ingress/egress? Child-seat mounting in the back? Cargo room, opening, or shape? Nothing beyond a cursory mention of equipment?

Not a bad review, but it seems like they left a lot out...not to mention that Ford hasn't "caught up" with Honda's quality...no, they've surpassed Honda's quality.

Scott

From uncompetitive to a dead heat in five years...and people thought Hyundai rose quickly.

A decent review with some frivilous things, especially making a decision assuming that manually-shifting an automatic family sedan is going to matter one whit to more than 0.001% of the potential customers. No mention of in-cabin ergonomics? Ingress/egress? Child-seat mounting in the back? Cargo room, opening, or shape? Nothing beyond a cursory mention of equipment?

Not a bad review, but it seems like they left a lot out...not to mention that Ford hasn't "caught up" with Honda's quality...no, they've surpassed Honda's quality.

Scott

Ford has come a long way. Finally a true competitor to the Accord and Camry. They actually have a cost advantage by making the Fusion in Mexico, so they can put better content in the car and still make a decent profit.

One thing I do agree with the MT is with the auto trans shift delays. This was a problem with my 06 Fusion.

I like the Fusion exterior styling better. It has more of a sport look to it. The Accord is too conservative.

Quality better than Honda? Well, I don't know, the Fusion has been out for just over 3 years. No way to know if they will be as dependable as Honda over a 10+ year period. They might, I am not saying they won't...time will tell.

As far as MPG:

The Accord is rated 21/30 mpg, got 24.9.

The Fusion is rated at 23/34 mpg and got 24.5.

I was expecting much better numbers for the Fusion, since its rated 4mpg higher than the Accord.

One thing I do agree with the MT is with the auto trans shift delays. This was a problem with my 06 Fusion.

Doesn't the 2.5L have a new 6 speed Auto in it?

As far as MPG:

I was expecting much better numbers for the Fusion, since its rated 4mpg higher than the Accord.

How many miles on the Fusion? I noticed that most new Ford products get pretty crappy MPG the first 10K miles on the car.

As an outsider, I notice quite a few North American journalists are quick to prejudge Detroit offerings as substandard compared to imports and transplants. I think this comes from them trying to appease what they see as their audience. A lot of these guys blow with the wind, once public opinion sways back to Ford just watch them all jump on the band wagon.

As far as MPG:

I don't think the SEL is rated 23/34. It's something more similar to the Accord rating.

Another crappy MT review. Because the 4 cylinder Fusion transmission didn't do well while autocrossing, they give the nod to the Accord? How many people autocross 4 cylinder auto tranny mid size sedans?

It must of really pained them to say that many nice things about the Fusion...

I don't think the SEL is rated 23/34. It's something more similar to the Accord rating.

The SE and SEL versions with I4 have EPA ratings of 22 and 31 with average of 25mpg. Considering the lead foot of road testers, and average driver that uses a few fuel mileage tips ought to be able to average around 26mpg considering a mix of 50% highway and 50% city stop and go traffic.

Based on the observations of the author and the minute differences in numbers, I say the article shows the Fusion tops the Accord. I say this because of the strides Ford has made to catch up to the Japanese and on some levels pass. Since when does the average car buyer care about 0.3 seconds 0-60 and 0.1 second in the quarter mile. The bulk of the article talks about the improvements of the Fusion and barely speaks to the design of the Accord other than the "bulged horizontal Honda controls" and "pedestrian 6 speaker stereo". When I saw the new designs of the Fusion it convinced me to trade in my 07. I NEVER considered a Japanese brand and NEVER will.

Saw a red '10 Fusion today. It's definitely more noticeable than the other midsizers out there. Just like the '06 was 4 years ago.

Thing ain't going to outsell the Accord or Camry, but it was at least nice to see MT hauling out the 'maybe they were afraid of the competition' line with Toyota, seeings how they blasted it across the front cover of the last issue (Genesis vs. Mustang)

Thing ain't going to outsell the Accord or Camry, but it was at least nice to see MT hauling out the 'maybe they were afraid of the competition' line with Toyota, seeings how they blasted it across the front cover of the last issue (Genesis vs. Mustang)

I agree, and its a shame, because the Fusion/Milan sure seems to be the better car.

Another potential battle the Fusion/Milan has is, that under the current wording for the proposed 'Cash for Clunkers' bill, it would receive a smaller credit than both the Accord and the Camry, since it's assembled in Mexico, rather than in the US:

Fusion/Milan ($4,000) (Mexico)

Accord($5,000) (Ohio)

Camry($5,000) (Kentucky)

Amount of Voucher-

1 VOUCHER REDEMPTION VALUE IF USED TOWARD PURCHASE OF NEW FUEL EFFICIENT AUTOMOBILE- A voucher issued under the Program may be applied to offset a portion of the purchase price of one new fuel efficient automobile meeting the criteria set forth in this paragraph, which portion shall be the amount of--

(A) $4,000 for a--

(i) passenger automobile assembled in the United States with a minimum highway label fuel economy value of 27 miles per gallon;

(ii) passenger automobile assembled in North America with a minimum highway label fuel economy value of 30 miles per gallon; or

(iii) nonpassenger automobile assembled in the United States with a minimum highway label fuel economy value of 24 miles per gallon;

$5,000 for a--

(i) passenger automobile assembled in the United States with a minimum highway label fuel economy value of 30 miles per gallon; or

(ii) work truck assembled in the United States registered by the dealer as a registered work truck; or

(iii) $3,000 for a nonpassenger automobile assembled in North America with a minimum highway value of 24 miles per gallon.

Link to proposed legislation

Edited by richardmayo

Another potential battle the Fusion/Milan has is, that under the current wording for the proposed 'Cash for Clunkers' bill, it would receive a smaller credit than both the Accord and the Camry, since it's assembled in Mexico, rather than in the US:

Fusion/Milan ($4,000) (Mexico)

Accord($5,000) (Ohio)

Camry($5,000) (Kentucky)

Crap so much for getting a SHO with that legislation! LOL

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans...ison/index.html

long story short, accord wins because of the fusions tranny lag issues

It gets old how they wont do the most objectively fair test as possible.

I did not really like the fusion when I rented it. I really like the 07 or 08 500/Taurus when I rented one in Hawaii for 4 days. But now I am seriously considering a Fusion so that speaks volume as I don't really care for that low of a car and one reason I like the Taurus command level seating.

The main seller for the older Taurus is that a new Fusion is all that I would want and I can not afford one just yet but I really need a new car while I can get this for how much do you think? Any sales people that would make a guess as to how low I could get this one for considering new Taurus' are coming out?

Peace and Blessings

Last time I checked Ford was still based out of Dearborn,MI

It is, but where are the workers that will directly benefit from this?

This is just as bad as using tax money to keep Chrysler alive long enough for Fiat to take over, thus subsidising Fiat's return to the American market.