• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
CGIron

Who will be set for a diesel upturn in North America?

http://www.automotiveworld.com/news/compon...a-diesel-upturn

One day, the history of the North American light-duty diesel engine will be written and the chapter covering the 2008/9 credit crunch period will make fascinating reading. It might be able to answer the question: How was it that three major engine OEMs - Cummins, Ford and General Motors (GM) all elected at a stroke to delay/cancel/postpone – whatever the appropriate word might be – their 4.5-litre V8 diesel engine programmes?

What is interesting is that one of the three, Ford, could remain the one with the best opportunity to take advantage of any upswing that may soon occur. The company is pushing ahead with plans for its Chihuahua Engine Plant facility in Mexico to produce its 4.4-litre V8, albeit on a very minor scale.

"This could give Ford a useful breathing space in which to bolster its position in the North America market, and re-establish leadership in the classic pick-up truck market."

re-establish?? The f series was in second place at some point in the last 30-40 YEARS??

Kind of a lightweight article. Nothing noteworthy..oh wait, that's typical auto journalism lately.

I hope diesel takes off here and ford is the one to be first out with a couple years headstart. I hope the price of a new car drops to $500.00 too....both musings are about equal in newsworthyness.

Edited by goinbroke2

My real question is this; what opportunity might exist for Ford to partner with Cummins when Chrys/Dodge die?

My real question is this; what opportunity might exist for Ford to partner with Cummins when Chrys/Dodge die?

What would be the point? Ford already has class leading diesels of their own on the boards. They just need to make them. All they are getting is the name Cummins. And since too many people associate that with Dodge, for better or worse, I'd rather Ford did it on their own. Just like they did with the financing, and the only maker going onto Ecoboost type technology. I think it's better Ford just keeps it on track like they are.

However, I would like to see them put out the 4.4 diesel into Econolines and make it an option in the F150. Call it "limited production" for the F150. See how it sells. If it moves, then expand it. If not, oh well. They put enough research into the 4.4 I think it's worth a shot, even with gas prices down.

"This could give Ford a useful breathing space in which to bolster its position in the North America market, and re-establish leadership in the classic pick-up truck market."

re-establish?? The f series was in second place at some point in the last 30-40 YEARS??

I understand what you mean, and feel the same way.

My only thought is that they mean the dominance of truck sales over every other type of vehicle? Remember there was a month a while back during the gas price increase when a bunch of small cars outsold the F-series for that month. Other than that, I don't get where they're coming up with that statement.

The 4.4L would be an excellent engine for the E-series, but also for the Expedition/L and the Navigator/L and as an optional engine in the SDs. Not everyone's going to need the Earth turning torque of the Scorpion, but many would probably still like a diesel engine.

The 4.4L would be an excellent engine for the E-series, but also for the Expedition/L and the Navigator/L and as an optional engine in the SDs. Not everyone's going to need the Earth turning torque of the Scorpion, but many would probably still like a diesel engine.

I agree 100%...

There will be a diesel option for sure but what will the take rate on it, 20%?

Maybe Ecoboost's power and efficiency gains is what the market is really craving at the moment.

Diesel is just one engine option, the Ecoboost engines are about to go into F Trucks next year

and I think the combination of the two technologies will give the F truck huge market superiotity.

I agree, and so do others.

oops did I say that out loud? :shades:

Sup,

North Americans are a hard sell on diesels. Most people running around in Pick Ups do not really use them for their intended purpose. I think it is a great idea, but other than work specific vehicles like the Econo series, I do not think it will catch on in mass quantities.

Skape