Ford Fusion May Need 2nd Plant!

ice-capades

Thanks to all the great reviews for the 2010MY Ford Fusion and all the positive media attention given the Fusion and Ford, it looks like the Fusion is finally starting to gain some traction. Unfortunately, for some of us Ford Dealerships, Fusion inventory is hitting a critcal stage. My Connecticut store had been advertising 2009 Fusions from November 2008 through late April 2009, almost exclusively on TV at a total cost of over $100,000. Last month the store sold 16 Fusions, mostly 2010's, and we have only 6 left in stock and only 3 more that are due to arrive this week. After that, we'll have allocation for only 2 more 2010 Fusions based on the most recently completed "wholesale" done last week. Ford offered us 2 Fusions for the next production cycle and we asked for an additional 8 but were informed by our Ford Zone Manager that we would only get the 2 Fusions offered as the plant is already working overtime and no additional units are available.

As such, it seems that Ford should consider retooling a 2nd plant for Fusion production if it's not already in the works. Perhaps it'll be a PR announcement soon amongst those that Ford is orchestrating so well.

Thanks to all the great reviews for the 2010MY Ford Fusion and all the positive media attention given the Fusion and Ford, it looks like the Fusion is finally starting to gain some traction. Unfortunately, for some of us Ford Dealerships, Fusion inventory is hitting a critcal stage. My Connecticut store had been advertising 2009 Fusions from November 2008 through late April 2009, almost exclusively on TV at a total cost of over $100,000. Last month the store sold 16 Fusions, mostly 2010's, and we have only 6 left in stock and only 3 more that are due to arrive this week. After that, we'll have allocation for only 2 more 2010 Fusions based on the most recently completed "wholesale" done last week. Ford offered us 2 Fusions for the next production cycle and we asked for an additional 8 but were informed by our Ford Zone Manager that we would only get the 2 Fusions offered as the plant is already working overtime and no additional units are available.

As such, it seems that Ford should consider retooling a 2nd plant for Fusion production if it's not already in the works. Perhaps it'll be a PR announcement soon amongst those that Ford is orchestrating so well.

Building it in the United States as well will also help get rid of some of the Toyotaphile attacks of "It's a Mexican car!" (Although, given how hot the car is on the market right now, I'm still surprised that I still haven't seen another 2010 Fusion on the road yet.

Edited by nelsonlu

Wow - that's interesting news. Glad to hear they're doing so well. If that's the case, why not drop the incentives on the '10 models? Let's hope Ford can find a way to put some more Fusions on the road and keep people working.

Wow - that's interesting news. Glad to hear they're doing so well. If that's the case, why not drop the incentives on the '10 models? Let's hope Ford can find a way to put some more Fusions on the road and keep people working.

Ford is very conservative with vehicle incentives and offers them only to the level of being competitive. It's something that they monitor very closely along with inventory, daily sales rate, etc. Reducing rebates/incentives now could only hurt if it stops the sales momentum that we're seeing. Better yet to let the market handle the vehicle pricing until more Fusion production and inventory is available.

we always knew it would happen ..

the thing is ... Ford has no plant ready - it wil ltake them good 12 months to get it done - way to get caught flatfooted ..

Igor

The Flat Rock plant builds Mazda6s for Mazda. Would it not be a possible Fusion/Milan overflow plant?

The Flat Rock plant builds Mazda6s for Mazda. Would it not be a possible Fusion/Milan overflow plant?

theoretically - but the Mazda6 and Fusion share way fewer parts in this generation than in the last one ...

Igor

That's good to hear. High demand is good but of course you don't want to disappoint or have to turn away customers.

Building it in the United States as well will also help get rid of some of the Toyotaphile attacks of "It's a Mexican car!" (Although, given how hot the car is on the market right now, I'm still surprised that I still haven't seen another 2010 Fusion on the road yet.

I saw two other Fusion Hybrids within a week of buying mine, a white one and a silver one. I haven't seen one since. In a way it's kind of nice though, as I feel like I have something unique and special, at least for now.

I've only seen two 2010's on the road in my area. A black SE with Illinois plates in Minneapolis and a black hybrid in Northfield, MN. I was checking local dealer web sites last night for price comparisons, I still feel good about the price I paid, and there seems to be plenty of in stock 2010's around here. Mostly SE, Sport, but very few hybrids. The SEL's all seem to have the 301A package but few color choices, mostly white. Dealers are practically giving away 09's, maybe that's what is slowing sales around here. Like ackbar, I also feel like we're driving something special.

Is Chicago plant flexible enough to add Fusions?

Does Mexico plant have a 3rd shift?

Best to not flood the market, and then have to slap rebates on 'em. But, if GM and Mopar owners start to trade in for new Fords, then they will have to beef up.

According to a message received from my Ford Zone Manager, every Dealer in the Ford Region is trying to get their hands on more Fusion inventory because of the recent sales history. According to him, the plant is working at full capacity but Dearborn is trying to add more shifts to increase production.

I have no doubt the Ford and Alan Mulally will do everything possible to make sure that Ford Dealers have enough Fusions to meet Market demand and if necessary will take steps to retool a 2nd plant for additional Fusion production ASAP. I'll post further updates should I receive additional information.

A "good" problem to have, but soon enough all of the pent-up demand will ease and you'll be able to get plenty of Fusions. Ice- I'm sure it's frustrating for you, but remember over-capacity played a big role in the demise of your domestic rivals!

Hermosillo can pump out 25,000 Fusions, Milans, and MKZ's a month at full capacity. I don't think Hermosillo has the shifts to run at full capacity yet. I think it's premature to think about a 2nd plant for producing the CD3's. How much of the last two month of sales were blowout 2009's? When the 2010 Taurus hits, I have no doubt that it will pull some consumers who would otherwise pick a Fusion. I certainly hope though Ford can successfully sell the Fusion and Taurus though.

Edited by shllshck

Hermosillo can pump out 25,000 Fusions, Milans, and MKZ's a month at full capacity. I don't think Hermosillo has the shifts to run at full capacity yet. I think it's premature to think about a 2nd plant for producing the CD3's. How much of the last two month of sales were blowout 2009's? When the 2010 Taurus hits, I have no doubt that it will pull some consumers who would otherwise pick a Fusion. I certainly hope though Ford can successfully sell the Fusion and Taurus though.

I don't see how the Taurus will take away Fusion Hybrid buyers, but it might take away std Fusions buyers. As a long-timer owner of Taurus's (since 1986!), I'd have taken a look at the 2010 Taurus if I weren't committed already to the hybrid concept.

Where is the 2010 Taurus being built? What is the balance between FFH and standard FF production -- both at same plant?

Great comments on this thread. Thank you to all that have contributed and helped keep this thread on topic!

The 2010 Fusion is a great vehicle and hitting the Market at just the right time. Ford and Alan Mulally's great efforts with the media along with the great reviews, not to mention the 2010 Fusion Hybrid's great MPG numbers, are all adding to the increasingly positive opinion of Ford. The 2010 Fusion Hybrid is turning great sales numbers thanks to its' 41MPG EPA City rating alone but if gas keeps tracking higher the interest will only increase. I really don't know that the recent Fusion sales are based on "pent up" demand but more the Market's recation to the new Fusion and the impressive new Fusion Hybrid. As for the 2009 Fusion inventory, there are always buyers looking for deals on leftover invedntory but the 2009 Fusion inventory has sold out quicker than usual.

Ford is being very conservative with its' inventory management and Alan Mulally is not going to let Ford get caught with another over capacity problem. As for the all-new 2010 Taurus taking sales away from the Fusion, I'm not sure as they're two entirely different vehicles and I think will attract different buyers given their price points, size, etc. Time will tell. Besides, even though the 2010 Taurus Job #1 date is June 15th, I doubt that they will start hiiting Dealer's lots until August some time.

Thanks again for all the great comments!

Remember people that yes the Taurus will relieve fusion sales a bit, but what happens when the economy improves?...Thats what ford needs to think about.

I don't know that Hermosillo has operated at full capacity yet. So I would say it's premature to think that second plant is needed. I would think Hermosillo maxed out would be capable of producing 360,000 triplets/year, and that should be enough for now. That being said, I'm sure Ford is at least thinking about the possibility of a second plant, and hopefully it would be in U.S. somewhere. With new CAFE standards, Ford should be doing a Fusion wagon also or at least a hatchback. Many people have dogs and need a hatch or wagon and want real good fuel mileage also, something an Edge or Flex doesn't do that well at. Not 30mpg+ anyway.