Marauder/Marquis

It looks like the current-generation Buick Lacrosse. What car did you base this on?

But I do like the design idea you're going for, it looks pretty cool

Yeah, I'd have to agree that it does look rather Buick- and LaCrosse-esque.

Great chop, though.

And he used the Austrailian Falcon as the basis for the chop.

It's hardly a Buick exclusive. Jaguar and (later) Mercedes were doing similar headlights.......Buick was much later.

As shaney said, they look like Buick's, probably more so because of the waterfall grille, which Buick also used on the LaCrosse.

I'm not too fond of those 'Americanized' headlights, so I though all Merc would need is a simple grill swap...

What are Americanized headlights?

But anyway, I like the idea you posted. Although it looks like the new Ford Taurus.. to bad they stopped making the Sable because they could've used this design.

I'm not too fond of those 'Americanized' headlights, so I though all Merc would need is a simple grill swap...

But anyway, I like the idea you posted. Although it looks like the new Ford Taurus.. to bad they stopped making the Sable because they could've used this design.

He was referring to Tim's "American" modification.

With the individual headlights: Jaguar was British, Mercedes is German (also copied by Toyota for the Celica, and several other Asian companies) calling it "Americanized" is fallacious.

Changing the front facia and especially the headlights can change the whole look and temperment of the style. And no I don't think the Falcon looks "Mercury upscale" enough. There's no reason Ford can't borrow a bit from Jaguar since they did own them, even though it's nobody's particular trademark. And if Mercury is going more Euro/International....why not?

Actually I'm not really fond of the Falcon's styling, great car and it certainly works well in Australia/New Zealand.

maybe this oneis less "Buick".

Anyway it's just a chop!

post-19198-1250213297_thumb.jpg

With the individual headlights: Jaguar was British, Mercedes is German (also copied by Toyota for the Celica, and several other Asian companies) calling it "Americanized" is fallacious.

Changing the front facia and especially the headlights can change the whole look and temperment of the style. And no I don't think the Falcon looks "Mercury upscale" enough. There's no reason Ford can't borrow a bit from Jaguar since they did own them, even though it's nobody's particular trademark. And if Mercury is going more Euro/International....why not?

Actually I'm not really fond of the Falcon's styling, great car and it certainly works well in Australia/New Zealand.

maybe this oneis less "Buick".

Anyway it's just a chop!

That's better...

No offence, but when will the Americans drop the ugly stick! You ruined the Crummydore, but no, your NOT touching the Falcon if that was how it was to look like!!!!!!! :D (This is only my IMO, so don't get too upset - I'm sure all Americans with the passion for weird cars will LOVE iy!)

No offence, but when will the Americans drop the ugly stick! You ruined the Crummydore, but no, your NOT touching the Falcon if that was how it was to look like!!!!!!! :D (This is only my IMO, so don't get too upset - I'm sure all Americans with the passion for weird cars will LOVE iy!)

Autralian automotive design is known for it's conservatism, imported here as the Capri, GTO and G8, none have sold noticeably and died a quick death.

Maybe to you it's like our storied Mustang, as in don't mess with an icon. The only Aussie Ford era I like in terms of styling are the 70s Falcon.

BTW how am I NOT supposed to be offended? You refer to my chop as being hit with an "ugly stick" and "your NOT touching the Falcon if that was how it was to look like!!!!!!!" Sorry but the Falcon isn't very good looking to begin with. It's OK only in a very boring way.

(Actually I'm not offended.....I don't expect everyone to like it, especially from a citizen of it's origin LOL. But some tact might be in order. If you had liked it, I'd of known it was too bland.)

As if the Buicks it's been compared to are way out there! They are pretty restrained.

Edited by timmm55

[ semi off topic ]

I've recently started referring to Lincoln-Mercury as the "Star & Wings"

Star = logo and the top-billing

Wings = Winged Messenger

now wondering about, since Lincoln has their Starship theme (in adverts if not so much in production sheetmetal ...yet),

could Merc incorporate some aircraft themes into their design?

serving suggestions:

Burt Rutan

the Thunderbirds (the Gerry & Sylvia Anderson kind)

Continental the airplane

deco/streamlined early speed record monoplanes

DaVinci :unsure:

...it'd be easy to add some stylized wings to Merc's logo --=\\( )//=--

Edited by 2b2

How'd we "ruin" the Commodore? The G8 was almost the same exact thing except the grille and emblems.

How'd we "ruin" the Commodore? The G8 was almost the same exact thing except the grille and emblems.

If you look at his signature, he's really proud to be Australian....nothing wrong with that. But he seems to think that if anyone so much as touches the original Aussie designs it's sacrilegious. And mine was just a PHOTOSHOP. Imagine if Ford actually did import and revise their "original" Falcon. (nevermind that the Falcon was from the US first, and they adjusted it to their market).

If you look at his signature, he's really proud to be Australian....nothing wrong with that. But he seems to think that if anyone so much as touches the original Aussie designs it's sacrilegious. And mine was just a PHOTOSHOP. Imagine if Ford actually did import and revise their "original" Falcon. (nevermind that the Falcon was from the US first, and they adjusted it to their market).

No there is nothing wrong with that, in fact, I'm happy that he is proud of his heritage. He should be a little more understanding with changes to the Aussie models, though. Some changes are likely required by law in the form of safety regulations, etc. anyway......not to mention yours is a photochop, as you've said.

Autralian automotive design is known for it's conservatism, imported here as the Capri, GTO and G8, none have sold noticeably and died a quick death.

Maybe to you it's like our storied Mustang, as in don't mess with an icon. The only Aussie Ford era I like in terms of styling are the 70s Falcon.

BTW how am I NOT supposed to be offended? You refer to my chop as being hit with an "ugly stick" and "your NOT touching the Falcon if that was how it was to look like!!!!!!!" Sorry but the Falcon isn't very good looking to begin with. It's OK only in a very boring way.

(Actually I'm not offended.....I don't expect everyone to like it, especially from a citizen of it's origin LOL. But some tact might be in order. If you had liked it, I'd of known it was too bland.)

As if the Buicks it's been compared to are way out there! They are pretty restrained.

I say my opinion (which, fair enough, was maybe a bit harsh) BUT then you turn around and say my taste is bland? Well sorry, but I think you are the pot calling the kettle black, because if you really wanted my opinion I would say that I'd be ashamed to think that such a design came out of the Ford [not-so] PAG... But hey, luckily it's not real - it's not as if the Falcon is leaving Oceania anytime soon, so I can have my 'conservative' and 'bland' car that is the best 4-door sedan in the WORLD for under $AUS70,000 all too myself - your loss...

timmm55 and Aussie_Ford,

I often wondered how much work would be involved converting the Falcon into an MKR.

Why don't you both think about a project like that and if you're interested have a crack at it.

Remember you're both on the Lincoln pay roll and buyers have different expectations.