1972 Cougar restomod

I'm a big Cougar fan, including the 71-72. I always thought they should of had hidden headlights like the 67-70. Chopped the top, enlarged the wheel wells/arches, added a 429CJ hood scoop, shaved the front bumper, etc. etc.

Looks good, although the rear wheel looks a bit off.

I'm a big Cougar fan, including the 71-72. I always thought they should of had hidden headlights like the 67-70. Chopped the top, enlarged the wheel wells/arches, added a 429CJ hood scoop, shaved the front bumper, etc. etc.

That is Awesome Timmm! I always thought the Cougar should have retained the hide-away headlights for the '71 -'76 models.

Looks good, although the rear wheel looks a bit off.

I did accidentally erase too much of the rear tire though.....didn't think anyone would notice.

Here's quick exercise in perspective, it works as long as the front wheels are straight!

Each wheel chop is subsequently shorter/narrower. It does become flatter however. But here there is enough "meat" in the 3/4 view, so the last one isn't thinned out to a sliver.

post-19198-1250623797_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1250625285_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

I was thinking more that the angle is slightly off compared to the body - no biggie, though.

I dunno, I pulled it in, it looked worse, pulled it out.....I don't think it looks right either. I really feel the first chop is on it.

Is the bad parking job at an odd angle throwing you off? Got rid of the yellow line also. :shades:

post-19198-1250707570_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

I like it. Not really feeling the shaved bumper, but those enlarged wheel arches took care of one of my biggest gripes about that body style. It actually breaks up that rear quarter panel from being this fat slab on the car. It looks muscular now. The hidden headlights rock too. How would it look with a 70 style vertical ribs though?

I dunno, I pulled it in, it looked worse, pulled it out.....I don't think it looks right either. I really feel the first chop is on it.

Is the bad parking job at an odd angle throwing you off? Got rid of the yellow line also. :shades:

Looking back at your perspective page, I honestly don't think the front wheel was straight. Normally that'd be fine, as the front wheels can obviously turn, so one would think, ok they turned the steering wheel, but in this case (and I may be wrong about this), it appears you used the same wheel for the rear too, which is creating a bit of the "turned" look to me.....unless I'm just seeing things.

Another great rendering Timmmmmmmm you guys are just soooooooooh talented

Not so sure about the Cougar grille looks a bit too Edsel, I thought Ford said they would never use a Edsel shaped grille again on one of its cars after it nearly finished them off.

I didn't change the grill at all. The shape is different in many ways. The Edsel was sort of Frenched and narrower at the bottom, the Cougar is more like a Bagett gem cut.

Even so, it was by 1971 a moot point, Pontiac {among others) were doing a similar center grill.