'10 Ford Focus SE

Disclaimer: Just my opinion, don't kill the messenger.

I was given a '10 Focus as my car was getting it's service interval with tires, brakes, all that fun stuff. My choices were slim, Town Car, or Focus...I cringing thinking of being in a Town Car thinking "Uh, I'll look so out of place", then in the Focus I kept thinking "eh, I'll feel like I'm a clown car". So I took the Focus... at least clowns have fun, while the Town Car looks as if I'm in the waiting room of Death...

The vehicle only had a few hundred miles, I first surveyed what toys it had. Hm none. No cruise control, No Sync, this was as bargain basement as it gets. NOT happy, In fact, I couldnt find the button to pop the rear trunk, should there be one because this one didn't have one? BUT overlooked it and just took it for what it was.

The car felt solid, although the doors when slammed a bit, sort of fluttered on itself. Previous Passats I dealt with had that annoying issue. Overall there was good grip for a FWD vehicle but the tires screamed very early on the slighest of harsh turns. Throttle tip in was waaayyy too sensitive and I had a few peel outs from it. It's been the only vehicle I've ever driven that averaged 32MPG. I was doing more city driving towards the end so when I returned it, it stated 29.2MPG. There was some tire drone coming from the front of the vehicle that was really the only annoying thing which I found chitzy. Tranny shifted well without any issues, although the engine can get a bit buzzy on some situations. It is spunky overall and I didn't experience early shift-up. Brakes were a bit sensitive thru the first inch of travel...a bit harder to modulate as in other vehicles but I'm sure you get used to it. Steering was quick and spot on.

Interior had solid materials throughout, nothing spectacular and some could be improved upon. Stereo was good for something basic. Blue lighting I loved. Noticed "FOCUS" on 3 different places they want to ram it home (Dashboard, tach, display when you turn on the vehicle). My biggest gripe was the Wipers, they just can't handle a FL Afternoon monsoon on the highway. Poor stubby little things were trying hard but I was already getting paranoid of how slow they were wiping. And they are short little things, kinda felt whimpy, stubby, lacks refinement. And that brings me to needles...I know Ford is doing this whole "short stubby needle" on their displays and again, feels cheesy and unrefined. I dislike it when automakers take this route...You need LONG, thing, sweeping needles. 2 people got int he car that loved the blue lighting but said "Wow that red on the dials screwed it up"... I too disliked the red and never pointed it out to them.

A/C worked well, just a bit loud on the highest setting. Power doorlocks had a chitzy "buzz-clank" to them, reminded me of 80s Aerostar, or last generation Passat actually. Seats were decent for most body frames, particularly fat people. Headlights worked fine I guess, I missed my HIDs and totally saw nothing really compared to it.

I had one neighbor that saw me getting out of it at the store, she asked "is that a new car"...wanted to bitch slap her, but her husband is having an affair on her so karma is working against her as it is. Explained it was just a loaner but for someone who doesnt know anything about vehicles, she said "well I hear the new Focus are pretty good, I've been reading many positive reviews about it, looks like a solid vehicle"...Ok so if she could sum it up that way, then its obvious that the word is OUT THERE, thats this is a new Ford.

But yeah for an economy car its a solid product all around. Just needs a bit more polishing and I'm sure the next one will do just that, polish a good product.

I rented a '10 Fusion SE last week.

You'd love the gauges. They have a sort-of 3D effect, and they're blue.

(edit) And on the highway, the mpg monitor read around 40. Not sure how true it was because was only on the highway. It dropped when I started driving it more aggressively on country roads. Mucho enjoyment, even though it was a 4-cyl.

I looked on the Ford Website at the Focus gauges. The red does seem a little out of place, but doesn't (didn't) the Focus have the multiple-color display thing?

Edited by RangerM

Disclaimer: Just my opinion, don't kill the messenger.

I was given a '10 Focus as my car was getting it's service interval with tires, brakes, all that fun stuff. My choices were slim, Town Car, or Focus...I cringing thinking of being in a Town Car thinking "Uh, I'll look so out of place", then in the Focus I kept thinking "eh, I'll feel like I'm a clown car". So I took the Focus... at least clowns have fun, while the Town Car looks as if I'm in the waiting room of Death...

The vehicle only had a few hundred miles, I first surveyed what toys it had. Hm none. No cruise control, No Sync, this was as bargain basement as it gets. NOT happy, In fact, I couldnt find the button to pop the rear trunk, should there be one because this one didn't have one? BUT overlooked it and just took it for what it was.

The car felt solid, although the doors when slammed a bit, sort of fluttered on itself. Previous Passats I dealt with had that annoying issue. Overall there was good grip for a FWD vehicle but the tires screamed very early on the slighest of harsh turns. Throttle tip in was waaayyy too sensitive and I had a few peel outs from it. It's been the only vehicle I've ever driven that averaged 32MPG. I was doing more city driving towards the end so when I returned it, it stated 29.2MPG. There was some tire drone coming from the front of the vehicle that was really the only annoying thing which I found chitzy. Tranny shifted well without any issues, although the engine can get a bit buzzy on some situations. It is spunky overall and I didn't experience early shift-up. Brakes were a bit sensitive thru the first inch of travel...a bit harder to modulate as in other vehicles but I'm sure you get used to it. Steering was quick and spot on.

Interior had solid materials throughout, nothing spectacular and some could be improved upon. Stereo was good for something basic. Blue lighting I loved. Noticed "FOCUS" on 3 different places they want to ram it home (Dashboard, tach, display when you turn on the vehicle). My biggest gripe was the Wipers, they just can't handle a FL Afternoon monsoon on the highway. Poor stubby little things were trying hard but I was already getting paranoid of how slow they were wiping. And they are short little things, kinda felt whimpy, stubby, lacks refinement. And that brings me to needles...I know Ford is doing this whole "short stubby needle" on their displays and again, feels cheesy and unrefined. I dislike it when automakers take this route...You need LONG, thing, sweeping needles. 2 people got int he car that loved the blue lighting but said "Wow that red on the dials screwed it up"... I too disliked the red and never pointed it out to them.

A/C worked well, just a bit loud on the highest setting. Power doorlocks had a chitzy "buzz-clank" to them, reminded me of 80s Aerostar, or last generation Passat actually. Seats were decent for most body frames, particularly fat people. Headlights worked fine I guess, I missed my HIDs and totally saw nothing really compared to it.

I had one neighbor that saw me getting out of it at the store, she asked "is that a new car"...wanted to bitch slap her, but her husband is having an affair on her so karma is working against her as it is. Explained it was just a loaner but for someone who doesnt know anything about vehicles, she said "well I hear the new Focus are pretty good, I've been reading many positive reviews about it, looks like a solid vehicle"...Ok so if she could sum it up that way, then its obvious that the word is OUT THERE, thats this is a new Ford.

But yeah for an economy car its a solid product all around. Just needs a bit more polishing and I'm sure the next one will do just that, polish a good product.

After a 1,000 mile jaunt from Columbus, OH to New York, NY (then back in the same day) in my mom's new 2009 Focus SE sedan, I agree with everything you have to say. Her's has more toys than your loaner, she has cruise, SYNC, and fog lights. I was very comfortable driving (and I drove the whole way there and back), and my wife and my mom were both very comfortable, even when one of them was sitting in the back seat.

The only big issue I had with the interior were the gauges. They were cool looking, but impossible to read. I ended up just setting the cruise and using the MPH on our GPS. I really liked the dashtop display for the radio - the steering wheel controls were intuitive and the display helped me keep my eyes on the road. The interior was put together well, and made of mostly solid materials.

I was really impressed with the way it handled through the mountains. It felt much more like my old 2000 and 2001 Foci than a 2005-07. I averaged 38 mpg on the trip.

I came away with the same conclusion that you did: it's a solid entry, and with a little polishing has the potential to be a standout.

Well my Cavalier finally suffered engine failure at 237K and I needed a car right away to get myself to work. since there were no deals on '10 model cars the goal was to find a '09 with more money on the hood that I could afford. My choices ended up being a Focus SE with cruise, air, SYNC etc. or a Pontiac G6 sedan with the eco 2.4... I took a short test drive in the focus and was a little suprised on how it felt tighter then the cavalier inside. I was also having a hard time with the radio display so far away from the controls. The nail in the coffin was the car had a vibration in the steering wheel that felt like it was connected right to the engine. I was a little dissapointed. The car had been dealer traded and I just had a bad feeling about it. I ended up getting the G6 which ended up being $20 dollars a month cheaper anyways. So far it seems to be pretty solid.... time will tell

Well my Cavalier finally suffered engine failure at 237K and I needed a car right away to get myself to work. since there were no deals on '10 model cars the goal was to find a '09 with more money on the hood that I could afford. My choices ended up being a Focus SE with cruise, air, SYNC etc. or a Pontiac G6 sedan with the eco 2.4... I took a short test drive in the focus and was a little suprised on how it felt tighter then the cavalier inside. I was also having a hard time with the radio display so far away from the controls. The nail in the coffin was the car had a vibration in the steering wheel that felt like it was connected right to the engine. I was a little dissapointed. The car had been dealer traded and I just had a bad feeling about it. I ended up getting the G6 which ended up being $20 dollars a month cheaper anyways. So far it seems to be pretty solid.... time will tell

At least it ain't a Toyota or Honda. ;) The G6 should be a good for car for you, congrats & enjoy. What kind of MPG's are you getting with it? Who knows, maybe it'll become a collectible classic someday.

At least it ain't a Toyota or Honda. ;) The G6 should be a good for car for you, congrats & enjoy. What kind of MPG's are you getting with it? Who knows, maybe it'll become a collectible classic someday.

Well I drive mostly expressway but i'm not sure on the milage yet... it is so much smoother than the cavalier I find myself doing 80-85 in it. which even at that speed I was got 29.5mpg. This tank full is the first one where I have been trying to set the cruise at 70 and take it easy... so far acording the trip computer I am on my way to getting over 500 miles from this tankful.

Well I drive mostly expressway but i'm not sure on the milage yet... it is so much smoother than the cavalier I find myself doing 80-85 in it. which even at that speed I was got 29.5mpg. This tank full is the first one where I have been trying to set the cruise at 70 and take it easy... so far acording the trip computer I am on my way to getting over 500 miles from this tankful.

my GF just picked up a 4cyl G6 and I'd agree with everything you are saying. It cruises very well at higher-than-posted speeds. Has no problem getting up to that speed either. Definitely an improvement over the Grand Am.

Does corners very well too and a helluva lot cheaper than a Fusion right now. Although the Fusion is a much nicer car , inside and out.

There was some tire drone coming from the front of the vehicle that was really the only annoying thing which I found chitzy.

The tires themselves are the culprit. I noticed the same thing on Foci equipped with the 195/60R15 Hankook Optimo H725 tires. It's readily apparent Ford chose these primarily for low rolling resistance (and perhaps low price as well), as they are neither quiet nor grippy.

2010 Foci with 16" or 17" wheels (both with Kumho Solus KH16 tires) evince notably less tire drone.

Noticed "FOCUS" on 3 different places they want to ram it home (Dashboard, tach, display when you turn on the vehicle).

I guess Ford never wants you to forget what you're driving. :hysterical: In addition to the locations you cited, the "FOCUS" label is also on the plastic sill plate next to both front doors, on the trunklid, and is imprinted on the headlamp lenses.

Edited by aneekr

I guess Ford never wants you to forget what you're driving. :hysterical: In addition to the locations you cited, the "FOCUS" label is also on the plastic sill plate next to both front doors, on the trunklid, and is imprinted on the headlamp lenses.

On a side note, Flex has "FLEX" written in at least 4 different places: liftgate, front sill plates, and passenger dash, and probably more that I'm not thinking of right now.

I guess they really wish to remind us, what we are in...now if they had a negative experience, they wouldn't be bragging as much. I have noticed that on the Flex as well, I believe SHO obviously has them on a few places...I cant remember if Edge has anything scattered throughout.

I guess they really wish to remind us, what we are in...now if they had a negative experience, they wouldn't be bragging as much. I have noticed that on the Flex as well, I believe SHO obviously has them on a few places...I cant remember if Edge has anything scattered throughout.

SHO is on the trunk lid, just behind the rear door windows (on the 3rd "windows"), on the passenger dash, and probably on the gauges - not sure about the sill plates, as I've not sat in one yet.

Edge has it on the liftgate and sill plates - I don't know about anything else.