1950's Ford Air Conditioning

nshvlcat

Hi,

The '55 and '56 Fords could be ordered with AC. Actually it was not factory installed but if a car was ordered with AC, named and spelled "Ford Select Aire Conditioner", the car was prepared by the factory by not installing any heater equipment and the dealer had to install the AC. Thus it's not "factory installed".

My '56 Crown was born in Dallas and sold new in El Paso, TX, with the AC option.

Trying to attach a couple of pictures with this post or may need to send them separately.

The picture with the blue dash is my '56. The Tropical Rose dash is a '55 with AC.

Thanks

Leif

SWEDEN

• 2 years later...
  • 9 years later...
On 9/17/2009 at 6:25 PM, nshvlcat said:

I hope someone can answer this question. In what year did Ford begin to air condition their cars? I know that Lincolns were air conditioned in 1955 using vents in the headliner (same as Cadillac).

I vaguly remember as a child seeing a 1956 Ford Fairlane with AC. I seem to recall two large round registers in the top of the instrument panel on either side of the radio speaker.

Were any Fords or Mercurys air conditioned prior to 1956? I know by 1959 AC was slung under the dash and this method was used until 1964. In 1965, the AC was integrated into the dash.