More of what's being taught in our schools

No_Fear

I strongly disagree, kids kept in a closet and out of the socializing sand pit are generally shy and introverted....I truly beleive social skills BEGIN at youth...now days kids are stuck at computers and only able to converse through text...it is EXTREMELY sad watching human interactivity steadily decline through either forced or voluntary isolation....and I witness it DAILY....not to mention watching my neices being brought up in the Mormon Closet from hell and EMBRACING escape and blossoming as individuals....

Why do you compare home schooling to a closet? That is like saying that since Richardson Texas has amazing public schools that all public schools are amazing or that since Modesto CA schools are so pitiful that all public schools are pitiful.

For some reason, your social outlook on home schooling is the way it is. Perhaps it is not very wide or deep in your experience? My friend home schools. The girls are in the theater, gymnastics, tai kwon do, swimming lessons, Chinese school, meet at least once a week with approx 20 other parents and children and do arts, crafts, tad pole hunting, etc. Sure, I have a friend that homes schools and does 1/10th of that and their kids are not socially well set up. But just like schools, home schools are just as varied and in the last 20 years they are very robust and do all sorts of things in huge and small groups.

Perhaps you are a little tainted by your family's situation?

Peace and Blessings

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you compare home schooling to a closet? That is like saying that since Richardson Texas has amazing public schools that all public schools are amazing or that since Modesto CA schools are so pitiful that all public schools are pitiful.

For some reason, your social outlook on home schooling is the way it is. Perhaps it is not very wide or deep in your experience? My friend home schools. The girls are in the theater, gymnastics, tai kwon do, swimming lessons, Chinese school, meet at least once a week with approx 20 other parents and children and do arts, crafts, tad pole hunting, etc. Sure, I have a friend that homes schools and does 1/10th of that and their kids are not socially well set up. But just like schools, home schools are just as varied and in the last 20 years they are very robust and do all sorts of things in huge and small groups.

Perhaps you are a little tainted by your family's situation?

Peace and Blessings

not tainted at all, I was offered a scholarship at a Male only Catholic school ( even though I was NOT Catholic ) due to a running ability, I declined so i could be more attune to real life scanarios and temptress's in sexy grey uniforms......... my take is the quality of the education system here to begin with, I dont BLAME parents for home schooling...unfortunately it can sometimes lead to a cocooned kid unaware, and ill prepared for the REAL world...my point is sometimes Homeschooling can be more damaging than beneficial....and from what i have witnessed, some of the schooling and schools here are SERIOUSLY substandard...some of the girls for instance take more prep time for their fashion parade than pride in their education. but back to subject....containing ANY human interaction of ANY sort is a dis-service to a childs perspective of reality....I guess the onus is more on the parents than anything else...

not tainted at all, I was offered a scholarship at a Male only Catholic school ( even though I was NOT Catholic ) due to a running ability, I declined so i could be more attune to real life scanarios and temptress's in sexy grey uniforms......... my take is the quality of the education system here to begin with, I dont BLAME parents for home schooling...unfortunately it can sometimes lead to a cocooned kid unaware, and ill prepared for the REAL world...my point is sometimes Homeschooling can be more damaging than beneficial....and from what i have witnessed, some of the schooling and schools here are SERIOUSLY substandard...some of the girls for instance take more prep time for their fashion parade than pride in their education. but back to subject....containing ANY human interaction of ANY sort is a dis-service to a childs perspective of reality....I guess the onus is more on the parents than anything else...

Exactly. That is why I moved from Sacramento Ca to MN. The schools are much better and middle school is not gangs-drugs-and violence 101. Glad to have my kids in real good schools. But if not, I would not be afraid to home school in the slightest.

It very much depends upon the kid, parents, and setting. 2 out of 3 is good. For example, the homeless boy that graduated top of his class in Sacramento Ca 3 or 4 years back. Horrible situation. But a good kid and a good parent.

Peace and Blessings

Exactly. That is why I moved from Sacramento Ca to MN. The schools are much better and middle school is not gangs-drugs-and violence 101. Glad to have my kids in real good schools. But if not, I would not be afraid to home school in the slightest.

It very much depends upon the kid, parents, and setting. 2 out of 3 is good. For example, the homeless boy that graduated top of his class in Sacramento Ca 3 or 4 years back. Horrible situation. But a good kid and a good parent.

Peace and Blessings

see...THAT story just gave me chills...EXCELLENT!

The kind of social skills I'm talking about cannot be taught - by teacher or parents. They are simply learned from being around other people.

You mean like his friends in the neighborhood or at Scouts or the Boys Club or the YMCA or soccer or basketball?.......the children that I know who were home schooled were not secluded.....the still interacted with public schooled kids in various activities

You mean like his friends in the neighborhood or at Scouts or the Boys Club or the YMCA or soccer or basketball?.......the children that I know who were home schooled were not secluded.....the still interacted with public schooled kids in various activities

Guess most of the home school kids I know had freaky parents. Most of them also had a holier-than-thou complex, thinking they were getting some sort of superior education. Most of them were probably virgins into their 20's. :hysterical:

you forget about the ever increasing number of kids stuck to a computer screen or Playstation, setting the tone for potentially becoming obese with ZERO people skills....but hey their tactile skills are beyond reproach when given a control pad/ wand....onus IS on the parents Nap...BIG time...unfortunately a LOT cannot be bothered with parenting of any caliber....same gos with education.

Guess most of the home school kids I know had freaky parents. Most of them also had a holier-than-thou complex, thinking they were getting some sort of superior education. Most of them were probably virgins into their 20's. :hysterical:

I have one I can mention that my heart gos out to constantly and I consider a neice ( even though she is not ) She is a semi miracle kid, born with cancer of the brain stem. She went through 40 plus surgeries and is paralysed on one side of her face. She is now 15, and due to her circumstances was home schooled from the get go....she just got back from 2 months at harvard and apparently aced everything ( she is blessed with incredible writing creativity skills )...fantastic kid, little shy but when she comes out of her shell is a crack up.....her Dad did not work when he was bringing her up and schooling her, obviously did a stand up job. She was going to sign up with a college in irvine, but after a few sessions told her dad the school was not giving her what she wanted and asked if he, again could assist and oversea her ongoing education....pretty cool story...but a GEM of a kid.

I have one I can mention that my heart gos out to constantly and I consider a neice ( even though she is not ) She is a semi miracle kid, born with cancer of the brain stem. She went through 40 plus surgeries and is paralysed on one side of her face. She is now 15, and due to her circumstances was home schooled from the get go....she just got back from 2 months at harvard and apparently aced everything ( she is blessed with incredible writing creativity skills )...fantastic kid, little shy but when she comes out of her shell is a crack up.....her Dad did not work when he was bringing her up and schooling her, obviously did a stand up job. She was going to sign up with a college in irvine, but after a few sessions told her dad the school was not giving her what she wanted and asked if he, again could assist and oversea her ongoing education....pretty cool story...but a GEM of a kid.

Wow! Thanks for a great story of your own! Makes me want to give this girl a scholarship, a new car, a house, or something. But she sounds like she is blessed with the best things in life already!!! If you actually know her, you can tell her parents job excellently done by them and her, from me!

Peace and Blessings

:o They're going to turn them all gay..... :stirpot: . He defends sex ed, and then talks against the part he doesn't like. People can't always have things exactly the way they want. This is a part of sexual education and sexual reality. I think that the particular subject should be taught in higher grades, but I also think that talking about it as "introducing this" as if there's something wrong with it, shows a particular bias by the people talking about it here.

Wow! Thanks for a great story of your own! Makes me want to give this girl a scholarship, a new car, a house, or something. But she sounds like she is blessed with the best things in life already!!! If you actually know her, you can tell her parents job excellently done by them and her, from me!

Peace and Blessings

I do, i am very close to her parents, known them for 20 odd, she has basically adopted me as an uncle...its a long story, but our "bond" as such was pre-empted by a certain Aussie Sheppard i have ....

• 2 weeks later...
how about more of what little is being taught in todays schools?

I don't think the problem is mostly based in what is or isn't being taught, but who it is being taught to. The sooner America admits that not every grade school student is destined to be an astronaut, engineer, or scientist the sooner we will fix what is wrong with America's public schools.

I find it funny that your user name is "No Fear" and then you post this lightweight fear mongering shit!!

No, "fear mongering" is more like you and Al Gore and your "global warming" nonsense. After reading your posts today.......maybe you need to get a grip and go take your meds!!