Toyota Fix for the Floormat

Catalepsy

Not everybody wants rubber mats....

This where the factory can step it up. They should be able to more closely colour match the interior and could offer them with carpeting like the Nifty Catch All's on the mat for those that insist they need it.

Fully molded floor mats are the only way the manufacturers will eliminate this problem once and for all.

You can bet Toyota will be exploring this as one of their options for a long term solution.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Well really not an issue with a black interior. I have all weather mats (from Ford) in my Mustang and they look fine. The biggest issue I had prior to that was the fabric floor mats got worn out with in a year or two of having the car.

As he mentioned, some places have this thing called winter. For several months straight you will have soggy, or often frozen slushy carpet (and most likely a rusting floorpan as well) under your feet if you don't have rubber mats that you remove and dump the "accumulation" every few days. I've also never seen a factory mat that deals with real winter very well. It seems like some really good rubber mats would be a no brainer for the factory to offer (or at least as a dealer option).

The whole floor mat issue in vehicles has always been a pain in the ass for the customer.

In places that see winter you need winter mats to catch all the crud and to date NO manufacturer has ever allowed for this from the factory. Something so simple that has never been adressed.

What I would like to know is why no one has used the Weathertech Floorliner style mats as factory equipment ?

Weathertech tech floor liner floor mats

( Ford are you listening ?)

They are basically molded to the shape of the floor pan and will not move even if the hook comes out.

These mats do have allowance for the hook but even if the hook comes out the mats will still not move too jam the accelerator. The mats are pretty rigid and will not fold or bunch up.

I have had them in almost everything I have owned. And just about the very first thing I do when I get a new vehicle is toss the factory mats right in the garbage and install Weathertech floor liners.

They are with out a doubt one of the best aftermarket items you can put in a vehicle.

As for Toyota and the zip ties.

2 points

#1 They are not using UV resistant cable ties according to the picture. :doh:

In a year or two at most (if the owner does not pull them before then) they will go brittle and break.

So I guess part of Toyota's schedualed maitanence from now on will include floor mat cable tie replacment. :finger:

#2 They are using the cheapest ones they could find.

These style of cable ties are notorious for breaking off the molded in locking barb and not staying secure. The plastic tit that locks the tie breaks off, and you can bet your ass where it gets anything colder than -15 that is exactly what will happen.

Since they did decide to hillbilly the fix the least they could done was use Thomas & Betts UV resistiant Ty-Raps that have a stainless steel locking barb.

Not only did Toyota come up with a "Forrest Gump Auto Repair" fix for the problem , but they even manged to screw it up.

If this is the "NEW" Toyota, Ford or even Chysler for that matter has nothing to worry about.

Matthew

Matt, rubber mats have been avail on Fords vehicles as an option for a while...they are called All weather Floor Mats,, and they are very well designed. Option code Flex for instance 16w, Taurus 97m, F-series 47r, Transit Connect 16v, Escape 50b, in fact without checking i would bet they are avail across the board.......

As previosly stated, hard plastic not rubber.

But I'm sure the Kool-Aid lovers will be touting that this is just a temporary fix until Toyota has a permanent one. Because Toyota is the best in the world and would never cut corners. Because they take care of their customers! They always do, forever and forever, amen...

Would we expect anything less?

I have the WeatherTech floormats, front and back for my '06 F150 and for the wifes '04 Altima. I don't think I'll ever own another floormat, and any new car will get a pair. While the stock and even cheap auto zone mats move and rub dirt/rocks and other items into the floor, the WeatherTechs do not move and are extremely form fitting. I had some Husky liners in my '02 F150, and even they don't compare to the WeatherTechs in capturing water/dirt/rocks and staying put. I am always amazed at how clean and brand new the carpets look underneath when I taken them out to clean. Keep in mind, these are very expensive for mats. My F150 cost me $160 for the front and back.

Only thing, watch out for the car washes. Took my 150 to a place once where they wash it for you. We'll when I got it back they had armorall'd the floor mats. That is very dangerous and slippery.

Edited by V8-X

I have the WeatherTechs for the front only on my Fusion. (I don't have kids and I think someone has been in the backseat of my car twice in 7 months). Right now, the WeatherTechs are sitting in my trunk because frankly, I don't really like the looks.

I prefer the overall "look" of a carpeted mat--which is not an indictment of WeatherTech, just the "style" of mat that is needed for a mat to be a "winter" mat. But, in a couple months (I hope it's not 1 month!), I will swap them out because the WeatherTechs are phenonmenal at not only keeping the inside of the car clean, but also my clothes during the work week.

Not only is there a hole already there for the hook, but as mentioned, if installed CORRECTLY (i.e., you have to be at least smart enough to drive a motor vehicle--if you cannot install a floor mat correctly, then you are too stupid to even be driving the car) then the mat cannot go anywhere at all. So, in sum, poor design of the accelerator or a wussy "hook" or not, to me, 95% of these floormat problems are driver stupidity. (Not driver error--driver STUPIDITY).

Edited by BrewfanGRB

They aren't even "rubber". They are a fairly hard plastic. I have a set in my Montego, because that is all I can find in a decent all weather mat. He's right, they stay put. I can dump a ton of snow and sand out of them. But they don't look as good as my Nifty Catch-All's. But the Nifty's will move, just like a stock mat.

My point still stands that not everybody wants this type of flooring.

As he mentioned, some places have this thing called winter. For several months straight you will have soggy, or often frozen slushy carpet (and most likely a rusting floorpan as well) under your feet if you don't have rubber mats that you remove and dump the "accumulation" every few days. I've also never seen a factory mat that deals with real winter very well. It seems like some really good rubber mats would be a no brainer for the factory to offer (or at least as a dealer option).

that's great and all, but again not everybody lives where theres crazy winters.

I never thought I'd get so much flak from a rubber floor mat comment.

The Factory all weather floor mats to be quite frank are pretty crappy for the price of them, and no better than the custom fitted after market peices that cost less. They cover the carpet and that is it no side sill protection.

The Floor liner princible Carpeted or Not does a much better job at protecting the vehicles carpet. (And for 90% of the vehicles out that bit of carpert is never seen any way).

The Floor liners are way less likly to slip up and jam the pedals.

And Yes it is driver stupididty for not either making sure they're fastened or not shifting in to neutral when the accelerator sticks or driving on under flated tires, or over loading the vehicle, or using the cruise control as an auto pilot ,and then crashing. But that still has not stopped the lawsuits that have found the manufactuers liable for these acts of owner stupidity.

Getting away from mats and going to a floor liner is a way to help mitigate some of these law suits. Plus it would make for happier customers and easier clean up anywhere that got winter.

Matthew

They aren't even "rubber". They are a fairly hard plastic. I have a set in my Montego, because that is all I can find in a decent all weather mat. He's right, they stay put. I can dump a ton of snow and sand out of them. But they don't look as good as my Nifty Catch-All's. But the Nifty's will move, just like a stock mat.

However, back to the hooks. The hook in my Montego is solid. Feels like it's a bolt direct to the floor. It doesn't budge.

I for one would be pissed if Toyota's fix on my car is to zip tie the mats. In a situation where you have some loose wiring under the hood or car, no big deal. But with something as visible as the mat, and something I take out fairly often, ties wouldn't do it.

But I'm sure the Kool-Aid lovers will be touting that this is just a temporary fix until Toyota has a permanent one. Because Toyota is the best in the world and would never cut corners. Because they take care of their customers! They always do, forever and forever, amen...

Of course Toyota takes care of their customers...

:fan: :fan: :fan: :fan: :banmolest: :banmolest: :banmolest: :banmolest: