Some Mercury Sketches

Andrew L

I was bored at work so I drew up some Mercury Sketches:

First is the Mercury Custom Hot Rod:

Based on the Focus RS platform, the Mercury Custom Hot Rod would try to capture the soul of the old classic 50s Mercurys. Small nimble and quick. It would have the option for the 2.0 EcoBoost engine.

MercuryCustomHotRod.jpg

Here is the same picture but with notes

MercuryCustomHotRoda.jpg

Next is a Retro Cougar:

Based on the Mustang platform but altered. Would have the option for a 4 cylender eco boost engine and the 6 cylender eco boost. There would be a limited edition Eliminator trim which would take the 5.0 V-8 and bore it out to a 5.2 (or 5.1 not sure which one would work out better). This engine would be a Lincoln-Mercury Exclusive engine and would only appear in their vehicles. It would have the same fuel economy but have a bump in power.

MercuryCougarConcept.jpg

Notes:

MercuryCougarConcepta.jpg

Let me know what you guys think :)

When I was in college, I took the course of Auto Design I. He taught us to do sketches of concept cars, you need to do quick, light circles and ellipses; keep drawings free circles and ellipses on a large piece paper until you get the right shape. In the sketch, you will need perspective lines to bring out the 3D view. When the shape is right, then you darken up the edges to form the body!

You can not just do continuous straight forward lines.

Edited by LoveTaurus

When I was in college, I took the course of Auto Design I. He taught us to do sketches of concept cars, you need to do quick, light circles and ellipses; keep drawings free circles and ellipses on a large piece paper until you get the right shape. In the sketch, you will need perspective lines to bring out the 3D view. When the shape is right, then you darken up the edges to form the body!

Holy cow! WHAT college has courses in automotive design?

One reason I got into nursing was because I could not find ant local colleges that offered automotive design.

When this house gets paid off I may re-enter college again, so what college had it?

One reason I got into nursing was because I could not find ant local colleges that offered automotive design.

When this house gets paid off I may re-enter college again, so what college had it?

Pratt Institute, Brooklyn NY - School of Art and Design - Industrial Design Department - Transportation Studio

Auto Design I (I believe it was called Transportation Design I) taught people the basic process of designing a vehicle; from practicing sketching technique to small wire and plaster models then using the sketching techniques to draw basic form ideas from the plaster models. When the professor approved your design sketches, you would then do a scaled clay model as long as a dining table. At the end of the semester, critics from an auto company (I forgot who came, Ford? GM?) giving your clay design critiques.

I believed those who were taking advance courses may get recruited by the auto company. The advance courses students may get field trips to the factories or may be internships. I remembered they gave me one of the circulated around booklets from Ford, showing a list of past students from around the country including Pratt photographed with their winning designs; and were at the moment working for Ford!

Edited by LoveTaurus

These were not really meant to be real pieces of art like that, like I said I drew these at work when I was bored

I have other pictures I have drawn of real cars that look 3000 times better than this but that as for an art class.

These were just 15 min sketches

The University of Cincinnati also has a similar program - one that I may transfer into in the coming years....we'll see...

These were not really meant to be real pieces of art like that, like I said I drew these at work when I was bored

I have other pictures I have drawn of real cars that look 3000 times better than this but that as for an art class.

These were just 15 min sketches

I'd like to see those other pictures sometime if you don't mind...

Guys, this isn't easy — or everybody'd be doing it.

So keep on sketching. Or get a tablet and pen and go direct into your software. It doesn't have to be Photoshop, which is overkill. There are lots of good paint programs out there for cheap. Visit www.majorgeeks.com to check 'em out.

Visit

http://www.carbodydesign.com/

Quick car rendering tutorial

This tutorial describes how create a quick car rendering in Photoshop with a sketchy feel using the path tool, layer masks and filters. A downloadable Photoshop file is included.

14 October 2009 | Views: 1,833

Small car sketch tutorial

In this tutorial GM designer Paulo Konno shows a simple and effective way to present a design concept using traditional media: paper, ball-point pen, markers and pencils.

9 October 2009 | Views: 2,127

Car Side View Sketch and Quick Render Tutorial

This Photoshop tutorial shows a technique for creating a quick rendering of a car in side view, from the basic sketch to the final additions of tones and shadows.