Should the Mustang Have Gone This Route

Mustangs have been v-8 rwd with a sra forever. "does that mean it can't change?" No but to make it a pussy car would ruin it. What do I mean by pussy car? Making it what a bunch on here are saying, a techno geek import wannabe.

For all you that dismiss the racing heritage that IS ONGOING all I can say is keep on driving your fwd car and stop trying to change something for the sake of change. No, the mustang shouldn't be a genesis, it should be a mustang.

Uh, Goinbroke, I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the Genesis is RWD. So if you're so opposed to a 300 HP RWD V6 Genesis I'm just wondering what you're going to do next year when the 3.7 V6 Mustang shows up.

As far as "techno geek" stuff, uh yeah, the Genesis is real techno geek. It has fancy import things like fuel injection and power windows and locks, keyless remote, a good stereo system and decent interior. :headscratch: Wait a minute, throw in the 300 hp V6 engine and it's a 2011 Mustang. LOL

Edited by BlackHorse

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, Goinbroke, I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the Genesis is RWD. So if you're so opposed to a 300 HP RWD V6 Genesis I'm just wondering what you're going to do next year when the 3.7 V6 Mustang shows up.

Even with more power, the 3.7L V6 Mustang will still be the "pussy" of the lineup. It's the "chick" version. Just the way it is.

Even with more power, the 3.7L V6 Mustang will still be the "pussy" of the lineup. It's the "chick" version. Just the way it is.

LOL!!! Really? So the 300 HP GT V8 is not a pussy car, but a 300 HP V6 2011 Mustang, which by the way has the GT suspension "is" a pussy car. Oh man, the degree to which some of you guys are full of it is laughable.

LOL!!! Really? So the 300 HP GT V8 is not a pussy car, but a 300 HP V6 2011 Mustang, which by the way has the GT suspension "is" a pussy car. Oh man, the degree to which some of you guys are full of it is laughable.

Whoa Blackie...ease up on the angst......the point IS the V6 will always be considered second fiddle to the V8......

Whoa Blackie...ease up on the angst......the point IS the V6 will always be considered second fiddle to the V8......

I understand that may be the viewpoint of some. To me that's just being a snob. If I were going to buy another Mustang (which I very well might) I'd buy the V6 even if it was staying at 210 hp; and I've owned the GT. Because I don't look at the car through the lens of "one is better than the other" or "the V6 is second fiddle". I look at as the V6 does things the V8 won't and the V8 does things the V6 won't. Not everyone who buys a sports car does so with the intention of "I have to drive it fast everywhere I go with my hair on fire!" Sooner or later you grow up and get past that guys. In fact if I was going to restore say a 65 or 66 Mustang (which I have done) the next time I'd opt for the inline 6 motor over the 289 or 302. It's not about 2nd fiddles or pussy car or any of that nonsense. Where do you guys come up with this stuff and how narrow minded can you get? lol

Time changes things. The new Mustang can probably be considered a froo froo car compared to lets say an 87 Notchback with roll up windows, AC delete and just the 5.0L, 5 speed and LSD. Is it really though? No, its just changed with the market place.

Now back to work listening to my Zune over the computer speakers.....

Now playing -

7 Seconds - 99 Red Balloons.

I understand that may be the viewpoint of some. To me that's just being a snob. If I were going to buy another Mustang (which I very well might) I'd buy the V6 even if it was staying at 210 hp; and I've owned the GT. Because I don't look at the car through the lens of "one is better than the other" or "the V6 is second fiddle". I look at as the V6 does things the V8 won't and the V8 does things the V6 won't. Not everyone who buys a sports car does so with the intention of "I have to drive it fast everywhere I go with my hair on fire!" Sooner or later you grow up and get past that guys. In fact if I was going to restore say a 65 or 66 Mustang (which I have done) the next time I'd opt for the inline 6 motor over the 289 or 302. It's not about 2nd fiddles or pussy car or any of that nonsense. Where do you guys come up with this stuff and how narrow minded can you get? lol

personally I dont think it is narrow minded to associate a V8 rumble with the Mustang...they go hand in hand, and some will NEVER embrace a V6, no matter HOW sophisticated , in a vehicle with the Mustangs history....that said, gimmie a high revving Eco 3.7 turning 425-450 and I would be QUITE happy....but then again, some stalwarts will NEVER embrace anything BUT a V8 ( and from what has been written, the 5.0 is worth the wait......) heritage as such is something the Genesis will NEVER have.........

V8 in 2011 is estimated at 400 plus...V8 is STILL the Kahuna....

Edited by Deanh

personally I dont think it is narrow minded to associate a V8 rumble with the Mustang.

Really, that's what does it for you? A throaty V8? While I can understand and appreciate that too, and I know Ford spent a good deal of time making the exhaust note of the 4.6 sound like a fire breathing monster, I also appreciate the exhaust note of a lot of other cars. The high pitched rev of a Porsche to me is also a sound that denotes performance. Heck even the current V6 Mustang has a pretty good growl. It's not your appreciation of the exhaust note that is narrow minded deanh. It's the notion that somehow the V6 is always second best, not as good, doesn't measure up simply because it's the V6. I promise you that's narrow minded and there are a lot of people that buy mustangs who don't agree with you.

Edited by BlackHorse

Really, that's what does it for you? A throaty V8? While I can understand and appreciate that too, and I know Ford spent a good deal of time making the exhaust note of the 4.6 sound like a fire breathing monster, I also appreciate the exhaust note of a lot of other cars. The high pitched rev of a Porsche to me is also a sound that denotes performance. Heck even the current V6 Mustang has a pretty good growl. It's not your appreciation of the exhaust note that is narrow minded deanh. It's the notion that somehow the V6 is always second best, not as good, doesn't measure up simply because it's the V6. I promise you that's narrow minded and there are a lot of people that buy mustangs who don't agree with you.

point is, until a V6 comes out with similar power/ performance figures the V6 will always be veiwed as the bridesmaid....nothing narrow minded about that, its just factual....but fact is the V6 WILL be the bigger seller, and with 300 hp will probably be a hoot. There will still be those that look down their noses at the V6 Blackhorse...and with 400 hp, its not hard to realize why. Oh, and as for sound...try a ferrari flat 12 when it hits 4500 rpm....SYMPHONY! We used to take the 512TRS out once a week just to run them....sigh.....

When there is a V8 or a TT V6 cranking out even more power? Yes. The V6 is still the "pussy" version.

Not everyone who buys a sports car does so with the intention of "I have to drive it fast everywhere I go with my hair on fire!" Sooner or later you grow up and get past that guys.

I hope I never grow up then.

I mean really, it goes back to my first comment on this subject. A lot of people with Mustangs own them as second or third cars. I have a sensible daily driver in my Mazda6. There's no need to make a compromise in power too on a vehicle that is already compromised in so many other areas.

Edited by NickF1011

Hey I'm not trying to change your point of view guys. You're certainly entitled to it. But rest assured it comes off as snobbish and narrow minded. That's just the way it is on this website and it's why I don't let anything said here affect my car buying decisions because frankly I gotta tell you guys that most of you around here would turn an average person off to buying a Ford so fast that its frightening. lol

I totally agree on the Ferrari exhaust by the way and I personally also love the Astin Martin DB9 sound.

As for passionate debates about Japanese cars, man just visit any one of the Toyota, Nissan or Honda forums and you'll find some passionate debate that's every bit the emotion and strong opinion you get here.

PS, the Genesis Coupe is a good car and if Mustang was just a little shorter, a little lighter and a little more nimble like the Genesis, it would be a better car. IMO Especially with a 400 hp V8.

Edited by BlackHorse

Mustang GT weight: 3533

Genesis weight: 3439

GT length x width x WB:188.1 x 73.9 x 107.1

Genesis length x width x WB: 182.3 x 73.4 x 111

For an extra 100lbs & 6" you get a car that actually looks like something.

Seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me.

----

99-04 mustang GT:

External dimensions: length (inches): 183.2, width (inches): 73.1, wheelbase (inches): 101.3

Weights: curb weight (lbs) 3,273

This was smaller than both of the above. Get back to these deminsions with 400 HP and you have a winner!

Hey I'm not trying to change your point of view guys. You're certainly entitled to it. But rest assured it comes off as snobbish and narrow minded. That's just the way it is on this website and it's why I don't let anything said here affect my car buying decisions because frankly I gotta tell you guys that most of you around here would turn an average person off to buying a Ford so fast that its frightening. lol

I totally agree on the Ferrari exhaust by the way and I personally also love the Astin Martin DB9 sound.

As for passionate debates about Japanese cars, man just visit any one of the Toyota, Nissan or Honda forums and you'll find some passionate debate that's every bit the emotion and strong opinion you get here.

PS, the Genesis Coupe is a good car and if Mustang was just a little shorter, a little lighter and a little more nimble like the Genesis, it would be a better car. IMO Especially with a 400 hp V8.

Slap in the V8 and there goes the Genesis weight advantage.

As for getting smaller.... Yeah im all for that. My mom's 02 V6 Mustang looks tiny compared to the 05+ models. Keep in mind her car looks huge compared to a Fox.

Id like it to get back down to the 94-04 size. keep the base V8 around 3500 lbs, keep the SRA in all but the upper upper crust models, yes for the turbo versions, yes for keeping the V8s too.

I dont think thats totally unreasonable.

Now playing -

Manic Hispanic - Uncle Chato's Garden

99-04 mustang GT:

External dimensions: length (inches): 183.2, width (inches): 73.1, wheelbase (inches): 101.3

This was smaller than both of the above. Get back to these deminsions with 400 HP and you have a winner!

you beat me to it by a minute! lol. At least im not the only one that thinks that isnt a bad place to start. I expect it to be heavier than those models though, yet not gain weight from where we are now. (and hopefully lose a touch). Also 400hp put that body style into the 12s with the Terminators.

now playing

Bad Religion - The Defense

99-04 mustang GT:

I can go along with that at least. From the very beginning I was a little disappointed in the growth experienced by the S197. Perhaps a nice compromise between SN95 and S197 would work. However, the overall formula can't disappear: short deck, long hood, RWD, V8 power and manual transmissions available.

I think this demonstrates a problem with the Mustang. People clearly do not respect the V6 model as anything but a disposable "chick" car. Even if the upcoming 3.7's performance is outstanding it will probably be overshadowed by its big brother V8 models. Even from you original post, it sounds like you aren't considering the V6 Mustang to be a serious competitor to the Genesis. But once it has 300+hp and suspension setup with more edge, won't it be pretty much be at least an equal? However, I think it will still have an image problem. I think Ford needs to develop the V6 cars image so that people that are buying cars like the Genesis, or Nissan Z-Car, or WXR/Evos, could seriously consider a V6 'Stang as its performance should be comparable. No matter what people here think of these other cars, the people buying them are not saying to themselves, "What I'm looking for is a pussy car." They need to know that the V6 isn't a pussy car for chicks. I don't think too much really needs to be changed to the car (that is if the 2011 upgrades are what they say they will be), just peoples perception.

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft......here that Blackhorse....thats a can of worms.......lol!