Should the Mustang Have Gone This Route

Second fiddle? I beg to differ. Ive been looking for a 5.0L Notch over the last few months, and GTs and Hatch's are a dime a dozen. Find a clean 5.0L notch and you are looking at spending at least $4500. The last one i really lusted after the guy was asking $6900 for it. Out of my price range. But oooooooh it was sexy. Black on black, 116K miles... 5spd 5.0L and beautiful.... sigh....

Now playing -

My belly rumbling because im gonna go to lunch.

Love the notches! California must be flooded with Fox Bodies. You can't touch one here for that $. Ours are all rotted out from road salt.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the notches! California must be flooded with Fox Bodies. You can't touch one here for that $. Ours are all rotted out from road salt.

mine was a black notch, put the Saleen kit on it, car just SAT at 145 mph ( Vegas run ) fun car....back end could be a handfull in the wet though....

Fox's are still new enough out here that ANY rust (cancer rust, scale) will make me say no to it. I dont care if its just a fender or a hatch, i wouldnt buy it.

we are spoiled.

It's funny how a few years of production go by and people forget abut the Fox body flexing around,

they complain how the new car is much heavier and not as small as the perceived image of a Mustang.

The current Mustang has a great ride, good road presence and is still quick enough for most buyers.

I guess some people can't enjoy the current Mustang for what it is without finding fault.

It's funny how a few years of production go by and people forget abut the Fox body flexing around,

they complain how the new car is much heavier and not as small as the perceived image of a Mustang.

The current Mustang has a great ride, good road presence and is still quick enough for most buyers.

I guess some people can't enjoy the current Mustang for what it is without finding fault.

Ive driven a few and i didnt forget lol. I dont expect to EVER see a sub 3000lb Mustang with a V8 ever again, but to keep it from getting fatter would be nice. I dont expect the next gen to lose much weight at all seeing as its already the lightest of its primary competition. To keep the base GT around 3500lbs is good enough for me. Its about there now so about a 100lbs weight loss would be all im asking. If they shrink it a touch, thats not out of the question.

Or of they go with the aluminum structure as has been mentioned... it should be able to do it easily.

Now playing-

Bad Religion - Punk Rock Song (German Version)

Actually, as a prima donna I regularly go to the track, and have had my way with a few Genesis coupes. How about you, bro? My car runs identical times to the new Mustang, so a "cyber racer", I am not.

Not knowing, and asking doesn't upset me. Calling everybody out here when they show you the facts, and saying that we keep you from wanting a Ford does.

You dug your own hole, now sit in it and shut up.

I didn't dig any hole and I don't think I'm going to shut up bro. I asked a question. That was it. The question was, should Ford have or maybe think about taking a more Genesis like direction with the Mustang? That being a little smaller, a little more nimble etc. I never said get rid of the V8. I did say the Govt is trying to regulate the V8's into extinction which I think we all know is true. So that was it, I dared to ask a question under the false notion (I guess) that members of this forum would give reasonable, sound and courteous responses. Instead what I got was "pussy car" "Chic car" "2nd fiddle" and blah blah blah all of which is great for revealing the lack of any real thought that is so often displayed around here beyond the usual "Mustang Rocks Dude" mentality. I get that you guys like the Mustang, me too. But if you're so concerned about me being a "dick" maybe you should take a read back and realize that you get what you give as far as I'm concerned. If you guys lack the ability to actually discuss and answer the question rationally chief than maybe its you that needs to sit somewhere and shut up.

I didn't dig any hole and I don't think I'm going to shut up bro. I asked a question. That was it. The question was, should Ford have or maybe think about taking a more Genesis like direction with the Mustang? That being a little smaller, a little more nimble etc. I never said get rid of the V8. I did say the Govt is trying to regulate the V8's into extinction which I think we all know is true. So that was it, I dared to ask a question under the false notion (I guess) that members of this forum would give reasonable, sound and courteous responses. Instead what I got was "pussy car" "Chic car" "2nd fiddle" and blah blah blah all of which is great for revealing the lack of any real thought that is so often displayed around here beyond the usual "Mustang Rocks Dude" mentality. I get that you guys like the Mustang, me too. But if you're so concerned about me being a "dick" maybe you should take a read back and realize that you get what you give as far as I'm concerned. If you guys lack the ability to actually discuss and answer the question rationally chief than maybe its you that needs to sit somewhere and shut up.

We discussed it quite rationally at first, until all challenges to your suggestions were dismissed as arrogance and snobbishness. And you basically take Ford's most beloved icon and suggest that Ford got it wrong? Naturally, yeah, you should expect people to get defensive.

Edited by NickF1011

We discussed it quite rationally at first, until all challenges to your suggestions were dismissed as arrogance and snobbishness. So naturally, yeah, people got defensive.

Some tried to discuss rationally, others like ironhorse chimed in with knuckle dragging, low brow typical responses about womens genetailia. I never dismissed anyones other suggestions aside from the notion that "its a pussy car" is not really a response and "it's 2nd fiddle" is in fact snobbish. I think someone correctly pointed out that people who buy V6 mustangs or 2.0 Genesis coupes probably don't do so out of some desire or point of view that it's "2nd Fiddle".

People are paying upwards of 24 grand for a V6 Mustang. I don't think it's polite in the least to try and belittle them for it. That's not a just a little bit of money.

Edited by BlackHorse

I didn't dig any hole and I don't think I'm going to shut up bro. I asked a question. That was it. The question was, should Ford have or maybe think about taking a more Genesis like direction with the Mustang? That being a little smaller, a little more nimble etc. I never said get rid of the V8.

Richard posted the size and weight comparison proving only a small difference between the two

I think your question became moot at that point but if you were wanting a Mustang to be smaller

than Genesis, I can see where you wanted to go with that, is that what you meant?

Richard posted the size and weight comparison proving only a small difference between the two

I think your question became moot at that point but if you were wanting a Mustang to be smaller

than Genesis, I can see where you wanted to go with that, is that what you meant?

What I meant is for you guys to tell me what you think without resorting to stupid names. I couldn't care less about Richards weight comparisons between the two. That wasn't the question. Nor was it my desire to have the answer to the question be "pussy car" like that says anything other than the poster lacks any real knowledge or point of view on the issue.

Oh man, the degree to which some of you guys are full of it is laughable.

Yup...

I understand that may be the viewpoint of some. To me that's just being a snob.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff and how narrow minded can you get? lol

Seeing a theme...

I promise you that's narrow minded and there are a lot of people that buy mustangs who don't agree with you.

Yup, we're narrow minded 'cause we like V8s...

But rest assured it comes off as snobbish and narrow minded. That's just the way it is on this website and it's why I don't let anything said here affect my car buying decisions because frankly I gotta tell you guys that most of you around here would turn an average person off to buying a Ford so fast that its frightening. lol

Yes, yes... You have that one covered.

Thanks again, Richard.

I wonder why you were asked to shut up?????

Some tried to discuss rationally, others like ironhorse chimed in with knuckle dragging, low brow typical responses about womens genetailia. I never dismissed anyones other suggestions aside from the notion that "its a pussy car" is not really a response and "it's 2nd fiddle" is in fact snobbish. I think someone correctly pointed out that people who buy V6 mustangs or 2.0 Genesis coupes probably don't do so out of some desire or point of view that it's "2nd Fiddle".

People are paying upwards of 24 grand for a V6 Mustang. I don't think it's polite in the least to try and belittle them for it. That's not a just a little bit of money.

People might not be intentionally buying "2nd fiddle" when they buy a V6 Mustang, but that's simply the truth of the matter really. They are equipped less generously (at least from an appearance perspective) and they simply do not offer what other models do in terms of performance. I think you'll find that quite a few of those V6 buyers would have chosen a V8 (or the V6 in the Genesis' case) if given the choice. Many of them were likely constrained by monetary, insurance, or fuel economy concerns. Give any of those buyers a blank check and I'm sure very few of them would be driving home in a base model.

Does that mean the V6 buyers should be ignored? Of course not. They are an important part of the formula for the Mustang's overall success. But that success is needed to keep the iconic versions of the vehicle alive. How many well-known base engine Mustangs have been made in its 45 years in showrooms? Nobody remembers them. They are important, but completely forgettable.

I wonder why you were asked to shut up?????

Ok chief, I get that you're one of those guys who lives to start arguments on the internet. I'm sorry that you were a source of lunch money for the other kids during high school. Now maybe you could try an actually answer the question. Give it a shot.

Before I get started, I don't like the Genesis coupe because it's a Hyundai......I don't like it because it doesn't deliver.

On paper this car is phenomenal. The car has a great price and specs to back it up. Handling is fairly decent, the engine has a fair amount of power and the steering communicates fairly well. That's about where my love affair ends.....

- For a vehicle with that much of a weight advantage and premium brakes it sure doesn't stop like one would expect, the peddle feel was soft and spongy a feeling that I've never experienced in our G35

- As I mentioned the rack was pretty good but it was a bit light and over boosted at times

- The interior was cheap complete with an ancient looking LCD in the center stack, nasty feeling leather and too much hard plastic

- Low end grunt was missing off the line, this engine is not a match for the Nissan VQHR

At best all things considered in the sub 30K price point the Genesis coupe is a mid pack vehicle, behind the GT, Z and Camaro. It does everything OK, but stands out no where.

Ummm... It is a pussy car. Slow, poor handling, teeny-bopper styling. It's ok that you like pussy cars, just don't try to compare them to "first fiddle" cars, and get pissy when all the "cyber racers" and "knuckle draggers" start pestering you with those annoying "facts".

People might not be intentionally buying "2nd fiddle" when they buy a V6 Mustang, but that's simply the truth of the matter really. They are equipped less generously (at least from an appearance perspective) and they simply do not offer what other models do in terms of performance. I think you'll find that quite a few of those V6 buyers would have chosen a V8 (or the V6 in the Genesis' case) if given the choice. Many of them were likely constrained by monetary, insurance, or fuel economy concerns. Give any of those buyers a blank check and I'm sure very few of them would be driving home in a base model.

Does that mean the V6 buyers should be ignored? Of course not. They are an important part of the formula for the Mustang's overall success. But that success is needed to keep the iconic versions of the vehicle alive. How many well-known base engine Mustangs have been made in its 45 years in showrooms? Nobody remembers them. They are important, but completely forgettable.

Last I checked Nick, you can equip a V6 Mustang with all of the same options that you can get on a GT aside from the motor. The same is true for the Genesis i.e. 2.0 up to the 3.8 versions. So if hitting the 60 mph mark and the 1/4 mile times isn't that big on the list and the V6 model offers enough performance as is for a person, I'm sorry man but that's not 2nd fiddle. That's just a different choice. Again, I get what you're saying but frankly is in poor taste to tell someone who just spent 24 grand on a Mustang that does everything they want it to do that it's 2nd fiddle. Especially in light of the fact that todays V6 Mustangs will outrun many of the GT's from not so many years ago.

Before I get started, I don't like the Genesis coupe because it's a Hyundai......I don't like it because it doesn't deliver.

On paper this car is phenomenal. The car has a great price and specs to back it up. Handling is fairly decent, the engine has a fair amount of power and the steering communicates fairly well. That's about where my love affair ends.....

- For a vehicle with that much of a weight advantage and premium brakes it sure doesn't stop like one would expect, the peddle feel was soft and spongy a feeling that I've never experienced in our G35

- As I mentioned the rack was pretty good but it was a bit light and over boosted at times

- The interior was cheap complete with an ancient looking LCD in the center stack, nasty feeling leather and too much hard plastic

- Low end grunt was missing off the line, this engine is not a match for the Nissan VQHR

At best all things considered in the sub 30K price point the Genesis coupe is a mid pack vehicle, behind the GT, Z and Camaro. It does everything OK, but stands out no where.

Now that at least is a well thought out response. Maybe you could try something like that chief. Too much for you? Unfortunately it's not the answer to the question Michael. The question is not what's wrong with the Genesis. The question is should ford take the mustang in that direction i.e. smaller and more nimble. Things like interior issues and break feel are apples to oranges. Ford is going to come up with their own interior obviously, their own brakes and so on.

Ok chief, I get that you're one of those guys who lives to start arguments on the internet. I'm sorry that you were a source of lunch money for the other kids during high school. Now maybe you could try an actually answer the question. Give it a shot.

I already answered the question. Everybody did.

No.

We don't want the Mustang to be a Hyundai.

I start arguments everywhere when it comes to Ford. Look under my avatar...

If I give you my lunch money will you just please leave us all alone? <sniffle>

You just asked a question, and when you didn't end up with a bunch of Hyundai fanboys, you got all pissy.

I mean, come on! If I went to a Genesis forum and asked if they thought the Mustang was better, I'm pretty sure I'd know what to expect.

... And I'm the one that likes to pick internet fights...

I already answered the question. Everybody did.

No.

We don't want the Mustang to be a Hyundai.

I start arguments everywhere when it comes to Ford. Look under my avatar...

If I give you my lunch money will you just please leave us all alone? <sniffle>

You just asked a question, and when you didn't end up with a bunch of Hyundai fanboys, you got all pissy.

I mean, come on! If I went to a Genesis forum and asked if they thought the Mustang was better, I'm pretty sure I'd know what to expect.

... And I'm the one that likes to pick internet fights...

I'm not talking about making the Mustang into a Hyundai chief. Do you even have any comprehension skills at all man? There was a time when the Mustang was the size of the Hyundai. You've given your answer to the question (sorta). If the thread bothers you that much, go get on another thread.

F$%^&K Blackhorse, I'm trying to be nice and you take offense to "second fiddle"....jesus man TOUGHEN UP.....question is does Ford. or should Ford think about taking a more Genesis direction, exactly what dirrection is that? less sales numbers? Blandness, 50lbs less curbweight through ...dare I say it a less SAFE vehicle? YES, the Mustang could be lighter...fact...lets raise MSRPS throught utilizing aluminum and composites....and aleinate some customers. Could it be more powerful...YES, and guess what its coming....could it be smaller, YES, but once again at what cost....and to emulate a vehicle by a Korean manufacturer with ZERO history? I dont question that Ford has its finger on the Mustangs pulse...after all, it is probably their most reconizable nameplate....I respect your questions/ suggestions, however my money will be on the Mustang surviving LONG after Hyundai has left a market they cannot make enough inroads into....PPS...you MAY be pleasently surprized at how the 2011 answers some of your queries....my guess is it becomes a more "modern" vehicle....a little more High tech.

Edited by Deanh

Now that at least is a well thought out response. Maybe you could try something like that chief. Too much for you? Unfortunately it's not the answer to the question Michael. The question is not what's wrong with the Genesis. The question is should ford take the mustang in that direction i.e. smaller and more nimble. Things like interior issues and break feel are apples to oranges. Ford is going to come up with their own interior obviously, their own brakes and so on.

Pretty sure I've been saying the Genesis is an underachiever from the start, but maybe he hasn't ruffled your feathers, so your ears are open.

For the record, I like that you say it is a well thought out answer, but not to the question you asked....

I think I'll take up Nick's idea. Drinking, I think, will kill far fewer brain cells.

F$%^&K Blackhorse, I'm trying to be nice and you take offense to "second fiddle"....jesus man TOUGHEN UP.....question is does Ford. or should Ford think about taking a more Genesis direction, exactly what dirrection is that? less sales numbers? Blandness, 50lbs less curbweight through ...dare I say it a less SAFE vehicle? YES, the Mustang could be lighter...fact...lets raise MSRPS throught utilizing aluminum and composites....and aleinate some customers. Could it be more powerful...YES, and guess what its coming....could it be smaller, YES, but once again at what cost....and to emulate a vehicle by a Korean manufacturer with ZERO history? I dont question that Ford has its finger on the Mustangs pulse...after all, it is probably their most reconizable nameplate....I respect your questions/ suggestions, however my money will be on the Mustang surviving LONG after Hyundai has left a market they cannot make enough inroads into....

Just give him your lunch money... I hear that works.