What is a Cash Cow?

definition:

A business or product which generates a steady, dependable flow of cash. Typically, such business units often have large shares of markets which offer little opportunity for growth and little incentive for continued investment in marketing or product development.

Please remember this as you throw about term for various Ford product. The only cash cow on the books now is the CVPI. And only tthen when looking at strictly the LEO market. In the end-use market, it does not fit this description.

NO OTHER FORD VEHICLE fits this definition. A recent reference to the F150 being a Cash Cow shows that people just dont undertand what this means.

Cash Cows by their nature are only to be milked for maximum profits until the become "Dogs"

For anyone that cares, the term Cash Cow and Dogs also include Stars and Question Marks make up the Portfolio Planning Matrix as developed by the Boston Consulting Group.

Please please, this term has a specific meaning. Please understand it before throwing the term around. If you dont undertstand the portfolio planning grid/matrix, then just dont reference it.

Edited by J-150

definition:

A business or product which generates a steady, dependable flow of cash. Typically, such business units often have large shares of markets which offer little opportunity for growth and little incentive for continued investment in marketing or product development.

Please remember this as you throw about term for various Ford product. The only cash cow on the books now is the CVPI. And only tthen when looking at strictly the LEO market. In the end-use market, it does not fit this description.

Counterpoint from Wiki:

In business, a cash cow is a product or a business unit that generates unusually high profit margins: so high that it is responsible for a large amount of a company's operating profit. This profit far exceeds the amount necessary to maintain the cash cow business, and the excess is used by the business for other purposes.

Hmm don't think the CVPI fits that description....the F-150 and SUV's do/Did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_cow

just relates to high profit margins J...ala F series....Expedition was also....

no, it does not "just" relate to profit margings.

a Cash Cow is a an older, established product that makes a lot of moeny without investment will will not in future receive investment.

The F150 cannot be a Cash Cow by definiton because it does not have the controlling market share, has extensive competition and requires continuous investment.

Edited by J-150

no, it does not "just" relate to profit margings.

a Cash Cow is a an older, established product that makes a lot of moeny without investment will will not in future receive investment.

The F150 cannot be a Cash Cow by definiton because it does not have the controlling market share, has extensive competition and requires continuous investment.

actually I beg to differ...Fords BIGGEST money maker even after development costs etc are the F-150 ...it can be basically COUNTED on to supply exceptional profitability...just a figure of speech J, and Cash cow is something everyone can relate too...some a touch more literally...hell, I would also say the Econoline rakes it in...

actually I beg to differ...Fords BIGGEST money maker even after development costs etc are the F-150 ...it can be basically COUNTED on to supply exceptional profitability...just a figure of speech J, and Cash cow is something everyone can relate too...some a touch more literally...hell, I would also say the Econoline rakes it in...

the largest money maker is not necessarily a Cash Cow. Dont confuse the 2. What makes a product a Cash Cow is the relationship between profits, market share, future investment, future market share size of market segment, future size of market segment.

The F150 does not fit the criteria of being a Cash Cow purely on the amount of investment required to keep it competitive.

Now the E series I will give you. I overlooked that one. But it is ever so slowly moving into Dog territory. TC will nip at E150 sales. Lack of large diesel will drive some into a F350 chassis-cab (such as ambulance applications)

I beg to differ again:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cash+cow

(Economics) a product, acquisition, etc., that produces a steady flow of cash, esp one with a well-known brand name commanding a high market share

http://www.answers.com/topic/cash-cow

All depends in the context of how you ask the question, but like I said before we'll argue over anything, including fog lights.

I don't think calling the F-series, SUVs and Econoline Cash Cows is wrong...though calling the CVPI that is a bit of a stretch these days. I don't think the Panther line up can hold a candle to the cash that the F-series brings in.

And what would that make the Ranger then? It doesn't have much sales or controlling share by any means. But with no development thrown into it, it should mainly be made in profit mode.

So is it a cash Hefer then? Cash Calf wouldn't apply since the Ranger is long in the tooth...

In my Marketing Strategies courses, the cash cow term is used the same way as the OP's definition. It really is about what source you're using.. marketing being a human science, there is no right or wrong way to see it, as long as you describe the reality well.

Star product (good marketshare, good market growth) --> Invest

Question Mark (bad marketshare, good market growth) --> Make CHOICES, invest if there is a possibility of improving your marketshare

Cash cow (good marketshare, bad market growth) --> Make money, invest elsewhere

Dog (bad marketshare, bad market growth) --> liquidate

meh, I'll agree to disagree, I think the simplistic term is/ has been over analysed....I mean substitute the word Bull for cow, and all those continuous supplies of milk and nutrition kinda get re-evaluated ( Woody Harrelson in Kingpin attempting the Ahmish lifestyle...." Man, those cows sure are difficult, but once they start they dont stop"....."Ah, thats NOT a cow.....")

definition:

NO OTHER FORD VEHICLE fits this definition. A recent reference to the F150 being a Cash Cow shows that people just dont undertand what this means.

Cash Cows by their nature are only to be milked for maximum profits until the become "Dogs"

For anyone that cares, the term Cash Cow and Dogs also include Stars and Question Marks make up the Portfolio Planning Matrix as developed by the Boston Consulting Group.

Please please, this term has a specific meaning. Please understand it before throwing the term around. If you dont undertstand the portfolio planning grid/matrix, then just dont reference it.

Using words like "Typically" and "Often" makes a different definition from what you are arguing. Often does not mean always. If you don't invest into your big money makers they will become Dogs. Sometimes you can still grow or continue sales in things that you think are cash cows.

iPod is a cash cow, yet it receives regular upgrades, controls the market and is best known in its sector.

Fixed it for you, in the mobile market, its Blackberry still leads the way, with Windows Mobile etc following up...the iPhone has lots of publicity , but being limited to ATT limits its total impact.

The iPod is the the 900lb Gorilla in the Media player world.

I beg to differ again:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cash+cow

(Economics) a product, acquisition, etc., that produces a steady flow of cash, esp one with a well-known brand name commanding a high market share

http://www.answers.com/topic/cash-cow

All depends in the context of how you ask the question, but like I said before we'll argue over anything, including fog lights.

I don't think calling the F-series, SUVs and Econoline Cash Cows is wrong...though calling the CVPI that is a bit of a stretch these days. I don't think the Panther line up can hold a candle to the cash that the F-series brings in.

your definition of Cash Cow is not wrong, but it is only half of the definition. The term Cash Cow comes from the BCG Matrix. Period. SO when using the term Cash Cow, one needs to use it in context.

And again, making a profit alone does not qualify the F150 as a Cash Cow. The ongoing investment in the vehicle alone prevents it from being called a Cash Cow.

And what would that make the Ranger then? It doesn't have much sales or controlling share by any means. But with no development thrown into it, it should mainly be made in profit

the BCG Matrix quadrant for the Ranger would be "Dog" The segment is small (and I believe shrinking) and the Ranger is shrinking within that. The Ranger would have been a Cash Cow a few years back until it shifted into the Dog quadrant to milk those last few dollars out before being retired.