GT40 under MSRP

Centerpunch,

I wish all of the past posts were not lost. Do you remember your prediction of when the first GT would sell for less than MSRP?

I didn't start FordGTprices.com until May 2005. Here's my Blue Oval Forum post from December 27, 2004:

I think Ford GT prices will fall to sticker within a year. There are certainly some number of buyers for who money is no object in their "gotta-have-it-now" desire, and thus the early sales have been for $200,000 and up.

But there are not that many buyers like that, and with Ford's plan to make several thousand GT's, the prices will have to come down to attract buyers.

It's interesting to see the info in the recent recall that although approximately 300 cars have been shipped, only about 100 have been sold. Certainly some dealers are using the cars as promotional traffic-builders, but I bet some are waiting for the next $250,000 buyer, and there probably aren't many left. Then next summer, the dealers sitting on their "collector's item" 2005 Ford GT will suddenly realize that it will soon be just a year-old car when the 2006's come out. Especially if the 2006's have any improvements or new options or color choices(which they likely will have).

When the Viper was introduced, it was also an unbelievable car, and it also was sold for extreme prices for a brief time. I went back to old Autoweeks and looked at the ads for dealers selling Vipers. Here's what the dealer premiums were:

Viper price premium over MSRP in Autoweek classified ads from dealers

July 1992 $95,000 - $150,000

October 1992 $30,000 - $80,000

January 1993 $15,000 - $30,000

April 1993 $10,000 - $20,000

August 1993 $10,000 - $15,000

November 1993 $3,000 - $8,000

So hold on a bit, and get your GT for sticker.

(end of history lesson)

Not sure if these links to the entire thread will work.... (I also saved as pdfs if anybody cares!)

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:3T5NdD...will+drop&hl=en

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:kZ1Zn3...will+drop&hl=en

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:N8j-MP...will+drop&hl=en

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:9k3XhT...will+drop&hl=en

I think Ford GT prices will fall to sticker within a year.

So hold on a bit, and get your GT for sticker.

I remember that post.

Your prediction was off by a day or two :D .

What do you think will happen in the next year? As a stock trader that sometimes sees this type of momentum on the downside, I always suspect that it will continue (and may pick up more momentum).

Will Ford survive another year without going through bankruptcy court?

Well, predicting the drop to MSRP was easy. But from here, I don't know.

I suspect you may be right, continued downward pressure, especially since the sales rate has not increased as the prices have fallen.

It's interesting to see that no GTs have been sold on eBay since December 10th, except a single Heritage Paint car that sold for about $9K over sticker on the 27th. That means the dealers just can't believe how low the market price is. (And if the selling price was higher in non-eBay markets, you can be sure that some Ford dealers would be buying cars on eBay to resell for a quick profit).

I have a no-option, no stripe, blue GT on order at MSRP, but maybe I could have done better. Certainly for a common color (red, white or blue with stripes) I think many, if not most, deals will soon be under sticker, maybe even a lot under sticker.

And I think even the tungsten and Heritage colors will be quickly at sticker price. It's hard to convince buyers the cars are limited when there are 5 or 10 on eBay on any given day.

What's more, as time passes, I'm less interested in the car altogether. I mean, it's been 4 years since the show car was at Detroit! It's hard to stay excited for four years.

And the ridiculous doors and zero luggage space don't help either. I emailed the guy that's doing the GTX1 to see if he could just modify the doors to conventional (non-roofed) design, or do a simpler version of the GTX1 without reconstructing the rear deck lid, but the reply was that it would be even more expensive than the $38,000 GTX1 mod, because it would be a "one-off."

What's more, as time passes, I'm less interested in the car altogether. I mean, it's been 4 years since the show car was at Detroit! It's hard to stay excited for four years.

I agree, and I know at least one other potential buyer that agrees.

Since the car was first introduced, the new C6 Z06 is out for half the money. Yes, I know the GT is the better car, but is it twice as good?

It's not that the GT wasn't a superior car. My problem was with the dealers. They insisted that the car was worth "$250K; take it or leave it". Well excuse me Mr. Dealer, but some people were not just born yesterday. I've been a loyal customer for many years, and you insist now that you have some special club status that is not available to loyal customers? OK, I can also buy a Z06 or a 911S.

You did a great job pointing out the possible market implications of paying wildly over sticker. I pointed out what happened to the Cobra R's (the 93R, 95R, and the 00R).

In the meantime, the market survival of GM (and hence Ford) has become a question mark. Ford is no doubt the stronger company. Never the less, if GM goes into bankruptcy court, Ford must follow just to be able to compete with GM. It's a fact of the financial numbers. If GM voids their UAW contracts in Court; Ford will have no choice but to follow.

Alert, Alert; Mr. Ford dealer: You can bank a small $25,000 profit or hold out and make zilch. A Viper, Porsche 997, Ferrari, or a low mile 2000R will satisfy my "need for speed". I can, of course, just wait it out until the downside market momentum allows me to buy one for under $100K.

I'm no fool; and me and my money can play hardball with you. Anybody know anything about Dodge trucks?

Edited by 95CobraR

• 4 weeks later...

Ford just priced the car right. After the must-haves got thiers, the supply got huge. They should end up somewhere between sticker and $10k over depending on the market area. We did just sell our blue no stripes one for 180 though, and the original red one(i think car #11) went for 250. The funny thing is, last year dealers were still holding out for the super high initial prices, and most lost over 20k a month not taking offers. Oh well.

It was durring the period of saturation when most were getting delivered. I would say around spring of last year when they began to saturate ebay when they went from 220, to 200, to 180 monthly. I had a real buyer at 220 and the dealer didn't think it was enough and sold it a few months later at 180...I would imagine now most dealers would take $160ish for it if they didn't want it for traffic. Were' on our 3rd now with #4 getting built. Once the next one comes in they will get agressive selling one of them again.

• 3 weeks later...