2011 Ford Explorer

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking more and more like a slightly raised Flex.

Either way, the more I see the more I like. The headlamp assembly and 3 bar grille peeking through looks good in my opinion.

Overalll, doesn't look too bad. But will reserve final judgement until all the camo is removed.

It's amazing what little glimpses can reveal about a design. I think the Ford Flex-like greenhouse design is interesting.

Looking more and more like a slightly raised Flex.

hey guys can I get some of what your smoking? In no shape or form does it look like a Flex green house, the B-pillars are too thick, the Flex has black wrap around look to it, while this will be an updated/modernized SUV green house thats found on the Current Explorer and Escape.

The grill looks to be influenced by the '10 Taurus Electric Razor blade look...

hey guys can I get some of what your smoking? In no shape or form does it look like a Flex green house, the B-pillars are too thick, the Flex has black wrap around look to it, while this will be an updated/modernized SUV green house thats found on the Current Explorer and Escape.

I'm referring to the more boxy style and practically flat hood designs. Of course this could be some of the camo playing into my perception, but I see some cues from the Flex in the design.

Edited by V8-X

Really? I don't see the Flex at all. It looks like any other SUVs really... nothing special about the shape, ride height or what little design you can see under the camo.

Although weren't there criticism that Flex for LR design cues? ...wouldn't a raised Flex look like LR?

I'm referring to the more boxy style and practically flat hood designs. Of course this could be some of the camo playing into my perception, but I see some cues from the Flex in the design.

...You are describing the drivers of the Escalate. No "Sugar Daddy" or yuppies would drive an Explorer. Soccer moms, yes.

As long as it looks like a truck and gets better mpg, American housewvies, sugar daddies, and yuppie men/women won't care that it's unibody. The most they haul are big screen TV's.
Edited by Catalepsy

Oh yes, it most definitely ist part of the design.

Um thats part of the door frame, not the A-pillar...look at it again...the A pillar is camo'ed

Just looked at the pictures again, and does it look like the top of the doors are a bit on the narrow side with the how far back the windshield is?

Edited by silvrsvt

thats part of the door frame, not the A-pillar...look at it again...the A pillar is camo'ed

I think you're right; if you look closely at the front 3/4 picture, you can see how the black out paint is actually on the door frame surrounding the front passenger window, because the paint doesn't sync up very well with the curve of the door/window panel. This seems to there for the express purpose of confusing us!

I think you're right; if you look closely at the front 3/4 picture, you can see how the black out paint is actually on the door frame surrounding the front passenger window, because the paint doesn't sync up very well with the curve of the door/window panel. This seems to there for the express purpose of confusing us!

Look at the October pics. It is clear that the A-pillar is body colored not blacked out. The photos that show the area around the side mirror are the clearest.

I wonder:

If the Taurus SHO/MKS already have the 3.5L non-EB and EB, and the regular Taurus has the 3.5L non-EB...

...and this link says 4-cyl EB and 3.5L non-EB...

...wouldn't it be safe to say that the 3 engines could all then be used on anything running down the line at CAP?

So in 2011, will we be able to get a Taurus with a 4-cyl EB? Or, an Explorer with 3.5L EB?

It would seem very doable.....

Chuck

I know there is plenty to be hammered out in terms of fuel economy, such as engine type, final curb weight, and aerodynamics, but looking at the Highlanders fuel economy /w a 2.7L I4 rated at 187hp versus the Ford 2.0L I4 (non-PHEV calibration) rated at 140hp combined, I think there is a strong possiblity for the Ford Explorer to be rated at 22/29 versus the current 14/20.

For comparison:

2010 Toyota Highlander 2.7 I4 20/27

I know there is plenty to be hammered out in terms of fuel economy, such as engine type, final curb weight, and aerodynamics, but looking at the Highlanders fuel economy /w a 2.7L I4 rated at 187hp versus the Ford 2.0L I4 (non-PHEV calibration) rated at 140hp combined, I think there is a strong possiblity for the Ford Explorer to be rated at 22/29 versus the current 14/20.

For comparison:

2010 Toyota Highlander 2.7 I4 20/27

Your forgetting that I4 Ecoboost will be used on this..and Ford is shooting for 30 MPG out of the Explorer

I can see the following:

I4 Ecoboost

3.5L V6

EB 3.5L V6

Supposedly the Egoboost I4, was first penned at 280HP, I do not see the reasoning towards using the 3.5L that will probably be making less. Unless they provide a 250HP version of the Egoboost I4. As for the 3.5L, they might as well start phasing in the 3.7L and give it at least 300HP. I understand the vehicle will weigh less, but personally anything over 4000lbs needs at least 300HP.

As long as it looks like a truck and gets better mpg, American housewvies, sugar daddies, and yuppie men/women won't care that it's unibody. The most they haul are big screen TV's.

It's not that it's unibody, it's that it's FWD, they are turning the Explorer into a station wagon, they should really re-name it.