New Ford Police Interceptor

rmc523

stangPI2.jpg

I did this at the request of a moderator from another site. It's related to my previous 4-door Mustang post.

I took that 4-door Mustang and turned it into a new PI unit. Now, at first glance, it may appear as though I just stuck a Taurus front end on the 4-door 'Stang, but in reality I didn't. The headlights have been downsized and the grille slightly upsized from the Taurus. It largely retains the Mustang's lower grille, although the top outer corners are more aggressively angled. The LED lamps are carried over, but have been stretched so they're wider - these will accomodate police red/blue flashing lights.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

stangPI2.jpg

I did this at the request of a moderator from another site. It's related to my previous 4-door Mustang post.

I took that 4-door Mustang and turned it into a new PI unit. Now, at first glance, it may appear as though I just stuck a Taurus front end on the 4-door 'Stang, but in reality I didn't. The headlights have been downsized and the grille slightly upsized from the Taurus. It largely retains the Mustang's lower grille, although the top outer corners are more aggressively angled. The LED lamps are carried over, but have been stretched so they're wider - these will accomodate police red/blue flashing lights.

Thoughts?

While you do GREAT work and the chop looks like a professional job (if you aren't pursuing a career in this area, I think you should at least consider it), I'm just not feeling this one. The nose just looks too thick (for lack of a better word) to go with the rest of the car.

Again, don't take this as a negative on your work.

While you do GREAT work and the chop looks like a professional job (if you aren't pursuing a career in this area, I think you should at least consider it), I'm just not feeling this one. The nose just looks too thick (for lack of a better word) to go with the rest of the car.

Again, don't take this as a negative on your work.

Thanks. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this - if it doesn't look right (or as close to it as I can get), I don't want to post it - until recently it took FOREVER to do chops because I was using exclusively MS Paint, but I started using GIMP for certain aspects of the chop with has/can/will greatly reduce the time it takes to do a chop.

I understand what you mean about the front.....I do think I have the grille angle off a bit for the rest of the car, which could be part of the problem.....once I realized it, though, I was basically done with the chop, plus it was 6 in the morning when I finished it.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this - if it doesn't look right (or as close to it as I can get), I don't want to post it - until recently it took FOREVER to do chops because I was using exclusively MS Paint, but I started using GIMP for certain aspects of the chop with has/can/will greatly reduce the time it takes to do a chop.

I understand what you mean about the front.....I do think I have the grille angle off a bit for the rest of the car, which could be part of the problem.....once I realized it, though, I was basically done with the chop, plus it was 6 in the morning when I finished it.

This thing is awesome! Did you consider showing it at different angles? Great work!

This thing is awesome! Did you consider showing it at different angles? Great work!

No I didn't really consider that, and I'm gonna apologize in advance for declining the semi-request for other views. I'm working on a personal chop right now that involves 3 different angles (front/rear/interior) and I'm trying to finish it as soon as possible. It does take me quite a while to complete chops since all I have to use is MS Paint and some GIMP, so I need to finish what I've got in progress before I even think about starting any other chops. I'm glad you liked this chop, though.

No I didn't really consider that, and I'm gonna apologize in advance for declining the semi-request for other views. I'm working on a personal chop right now that involves 3 different angles (front/rear/interior) and I'm trying to finish it as soon as possible. It does take me quite a while to complete chops since all I have to use is MS Paint and some GIMP, so I need to finish what I've got in progress before I even think about starting any other chops. I'm glad you liked this chop, though.

Well, in any case, keep up the good work. I'm always amazed at what you've brought us in the past. This is one of my fovorite topics in this forum. The arguing and bickering...I always click to something else, but something constructive like this topic keeps me interested. THANX again...Brian

Well, in any case, keep up the good work. I'm always amazed at what you've brought us in the past. This is one of my fovorite topics in this forum. The arguing and bickering...I always click to something else, but something constructive like this topic keeps me interested. THANX again...Brian

Thanks, I'm glad to see someone (other than the usual suspects) noticed this and some of my other chops - I always love feedback on them. I agree about the arguing and bickering - it seems to have increased quite a bit recently for whatever reason.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to think that a major updating of the Panther isn't such a bad idea. Certainly, a reskin is in order as is redoing the interior and developing an IRS that will bolt up under the Mustang as well. Speaking of the original Pony Car, its engines would work well in the new Town car, Grand Marquis, and Police Interceptor. With the new FWD/AWD Taurus from Ford and this new GM and TC from L/M, there's no need for a civilian CV. Ford could start with the LWB used on the current TC and raise the roof along with the seat cushions a few inches and the interior space would grow markedly. Ingress and egress would improve greatly as the seats would be taller, and therefore more chair like. Staying with the Panther would keep costs reasonable for municipalities looking for a replacement for the CVPI. Same thing for limo companies and this new Town Car.

i think the Panther could be updated and be competitive as well. i owned an '85 Town Car for 9 years back in the day, and loved it. i bought it as an 18 month old demonstrator the year my Dad died, and then took my Mom on a 4 week road trip of New England. that car cruised in complete silence and was a joy to drive and ride in, giving us close to 20mpg also, a complete shock to me. my mother spoke about that trip for the rest of her life. i once "played around" late at night on the turnpike in my TC with a 3 series Bimmer, not only keeping up with it, but passing it several times even when we got off and did some roads with 'twisties.' when we finally stopped and admired each other's cars, he couldn't believe the way my TC kept up. that 302 was well-suited to the car's platform, and the suspension worked really well too. i think that early Panther was lighter than the later ones, not as bloated.

I'm starting to think that a major updating of the Panther isn't such a bad idea. Certainly, a reskin is in order as is redoing the interior and developing an IRS that will bolt up under the Mustang as well. Speaking of the original Pony Car, its engines would work well in the new Town car, Grand Marquis, and Police Interceptor. With the new FWD/AWD Taurus from Ford and this new GM and TC from L/M, there's no need for a civilian CV. Ford could start with the LWB used on the current TC and raise the roof along with the seat cushions a few inches and the interior space would grow markedly. Ingress and egress would improve greatly as the seats would be taller, and therefore more chair like. Staying with the Panther would keep costs reasonable for municipalities looking for a replacement for the CVPI. Same thing for limo companies and this new Town Car.

Well I did do this chop (below) a while back, which was much more of a Panther reskin than the chop in this thread.

crownvic2.jpg

1,3 and 4 do it for me!

besides updating to IRS, i'd love to see a hybrid version too. i think a hybrid full sized sedan, in a middle-class price range (not the S class or the 7 series price range) would sell very well in some markets. the use of high-tech materials could bring the weight down too, although they're not terribly heavy compared with the German sedans these days.

hey y'all^^^^

I believe that even tho Ford won't admit it yet

it's time we all acknowledge that the GRwdP is DONE DEAL :D

& that's the reason Ford hasn't been willing to update the Panther...

...even if the Interceptor they're going to reveal first quarter of this year (for Mr.Morrow)

happens to look a bit like this

th_Copcar.jpg

...or not ;)

1,3 and 4 do it for me!

besides updating to IRS, i'd love to see a hybrid version too. i think a hybrid full sized sedan, in a middle-class price range (not the S class or the 7 series price range) would sell very well in some markets. the use of high-tech materials could bring the weight down too, although they're not terribly heavy compared with the German sedans these days.

Glad you like them.....sorry about them being so grainy - they didn't used to be like that - I guess they've degraded over time.... :shrug:

As much as I'd prefer a new RWD PI, or at least a heavily revised Panther based cop car, I'm afraid that we'll end up with a Taurus based PI. Not a bad way to go but not my top choice either. If that's what happens, I'm guessing we'll see the new HO 3.7L DOHC V6 with 305HP as standard as well as AWD. Again, not bad but not the best. It would have some advantages over the Caprice in that it could come out sooner, have better traction, better balance, and better fuel economy. Still, the new Chevy will likely have more interior and cargo space as well as much better straight line performance. What would be a bigger factor in comparing such cars is price: which is cheaper?? Sadly, politicians often look only at the bottom line and not the needs of the officers.

As much as I'd prefer a new RWD PI, or at least a heavily revised Panther based cop car, I'm afraid that we'll end up with a Taurus based PI. Not a bad way to go but not my top choice either. If that's what happens, I'm guessing we'll see the new HO 3.7L DOHC V6 with 305HP as standard as well as AWD. Again, not bad but not the best. It would have some advantages over the Caprice in that it could come out sooner, have better traction, better balance, and better fuel economy. Still, the new Chevy will likely have more interior and cargo space as well as much better straight line performance. What would be a bigger factor in comparing such cars is price: which is cheaper?? Sadly, politicians often look only at the bottom line and not the needs of the officers.

Broward Sherriff's Office down here purchased 50 SHOs a few months ago to put into their fleet....