MKC is DEAD

Accoring to the US Trademark Office's TESS system, the MKC trademark was allowed to die on December 14th of 2009. The mark was first filed by Ford Motor on September 30th of 2005.

I've been digging in the TESS system to look for names for the new Mercury C-segment vehicle.

EDIT: The "MKC" mark is still active, the "Lincoln MKC" mark was allowed to expire. FoMoCo still has the mark for "LINCOLN MKT" "LINCOLN MKX" LINCOLN MKS" etc...

Edit 2: MKSW was also registered in 2006, and was just recently allowed to die. FoMoCo still holds live marks on MKN, MKA, MKE, and MKR.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

You would think they would hold on to as many MK"" names as possible. Or do they have to be used before a certain amount of time?

Nope you can keep a TM filing as long as you want...

They still own several MK_ names, just not the "Lincoln MK_" versions of several that aren't in use right now.

The Messenger mark has also been allowed to die.

Accoring to the US Trademark Office's TESS system, the MKC trademark was allowed to die on December 14th of 2009. The mark was first filed by Ford Motor on September 30th of 2005.

I've been digging in the TESS system to look for names for the new Mercury C-segment vehicle.

EDIT: The "MKC" mark is still active, the "Lincoln MKC" mark was allowed to expire. FoMoCo still has the mark for "LINCOLN MKT" "LINCOLN MKX" LINCOLN MKS" etc...

Edit 2: MKSW was also registered in 2006, and was just recently allowed to die. FoMoCo still holds live marks on MKN, MKA, MKE, and MKR.

So I wonder what they could be :MKN, MKA, MKE, and MKR.

MKN BKN could be a van with a bed and shag carpeting. :happy feet: MKA is obviously a pink sales spiff :cheerleader: , MKE..... :idea: maybe the Jaguar of Lincolns? Glad they are keeping MKR.

One more update - a little more comprehensive this time:

C-Max and B-Max were both filed in Summer of '09.

S-Max was filed in 2008 but allowed to die in 2009.

Lightning, Cougar, and Thunderbird were also re-filed during 2009 (to be refiled they must have been allowed to die at some point.

Mercury:

Mystique and Lynx were re-filed in late 2009.

Lincoln:

MKA, MKR, MKN, MKR, MKT, MKX, MKZ, MKS, Navigator, Aviator (all live marks)

Lightning, Cougar, and Thunderbird were also re-filed during 2009 (to be refiled they must have been allowed to die at some point.

Mercury:

Lincoln:

How about Continental? That shouldbe the name of the MKS right now if I had my way.

I think Mystique would be much better then Lynx for the new Focus based Mercury. Lynx might be okay if they decided to do a Mercury version of the Fiesta.

I did a search on "FORD and Cougar"....there's a newer patent.

Word Mark COUGAR

Goods and Services IC 008. US 023 028 044. G & S: razors; razor stands

Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS

Design Search Code 03.01.03 - Cats, tigers or other large cats; Cheetahs; Jaguars; Leopard; Lynx; Ocelots; Panther; Panthers; Puma; Tigers

03.01.16 - Heads of cats, dogs, wolves, foxes, bears, lions, tigers

26.01.01 - Circles as carriers or as single line borders

Serial Number 77827805

Filing Date September 16, 2009

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) Ford Motor Company CORPORATION DELAWARE One American Road Dearborn MICHIGAN 48126

Attorney of Record Elizabeth F. Janda

Description of Mark Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the head of a cougar inside a circle with the word "Cougar" below the circle in a stylized font.

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

How about Continental? That shouldbe the name of the MKS right now if I had my way.

I think Mystique would be much better then Lynx for the new Focus based Mercury. Lynx might be okay if they decided to do a Mercury version of the Fiesta.

The Continental has been alive since 1953, still is!

I did a search on "FORD and Cougar"....there's a newer patent.

Word Mark COUGAR

Goods and Services IC 008. US 023 028 044. G & S: razors; razor stands

Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS

Design Search Code 03.01.03 - Cats, tigers or other large cats; Cheetahs; Jaguars; Leopard; Lynx; Ocelots; Panther; Panthers; Puma; Tigers

03.01.16 - Heads of cats, dogs, wolves, foxes, bears, lions, tigers

26.01.01 - Circles as carriers or as single line borders

Serial Number 77827805

Filing Date September 16, 2009

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) Ford Motor Company CORPORATION DELAWARE One American Road Dearborn MICHIGAN 48126

Attorney of Record Elizabeth F. Janda

Description of Mark Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the head of a cougar inside a circle with the word "Cougar" below the circle in a stylized font.

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

This is just the mark for the logo and script... most likely marked for some new merchandise that was to come out.

Mercury:

Lincoln:

Very interesting stuff, good find!