Thanks for building "accessible" vehicles

Luvmyfords

First off, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Terry and I live just outside of Minneapolis with my wife Phyllis. I just recently started a new job with my local Ford dealership (Morries Ford) in parts and accessories sales. We are proud owners of 3 Ford vehicles ( '04 F-150, '06 Escape, '10 Mustang GT convertible). I suffered a work injury on 4/20/2007 that left me a paraplegic due to a broken back and severed spinal cord. After a long rehabilitation program to learn how to be more independent, I got behind the wheel to drive again with the use of hand controls. My wife insisted on getting a ramp van thinking it would be alot easier on me and getting my wheelchair in the vehicle. After 6 months of using a van, I had enough of the soccer mom image and traded the van in for the 2004 F-150. As time went on, it got easier to transfer myself from my wheelchair to the truck, I figured it's time to drive something sportier, and that's where the 2010 Mustang found it's way to my garage. Anyways, I just wanted to comment on the ease of getting in and out of all the Ford vehicles from the past and the present models. With the sufficient head and leg room, and the ease of using all the instrument controls and acourse the build quality, Ford, Lincoln, & Mercury will always be my choice of transportation.

Edited by Luvmyfords

you got a Mustang? and have no issues getting in and out?

Damn!

But I am happy to hear that you get out and refuse to sit at home because of a wheelchair.

kudos to you friend

Thanks, the only drawback I have is the scratches in the door panels from my wheelchair when I'm placing it in the vehicle. There's no real good solution to prevent it from happening, besides being x-tra careful. If only I could extend the doors open a little farther, it would help.

Thanks, the only drawback I have is the scratches in the door panels from my wheelchair when I'm placing it in the vehicle. There's no real good solution to prevent it from happening, besides being x-tra careful. If only I could extend the doors open a little farther, it would help.

hmm, I wonder if the 3M Clear Bra would work?

If you're not familiar, it's a clear adhesive sheet that covers the front part of the hood (like a car bra) but it's clear.

Felt choked off reading about your accident Terry, a workmates wife tripped over the cat on the stairs just as she was 6 months away from retiring she ended up paralyzed l was lost for words at the time.

Great to read you are still getting out and living life to the full Terry and doing it in a Mustang & F-150 thats just amazing, they are my two favorite Fords. Its great to see that Ford will adapt them for you, we are rather limited to vans & people carriers in the UK.

hmm, I wonder if the 3M Clear Bra would work?

If you're not familiar, it's a clear adhesive sheet that covers the front part of the hood (like a car bra) but it's clear.

Great idea, may look tacky ,but it would save my interior from looking so rough. I'll have to look into this.

Felt choked off reading about your accident Terry, a workmates wife tripped over the cat on the stairs just as she was 6 months away from retiring she ended up paralyzed l was lost for words at the time.

Great to read you are still getting out and living life to the full Terry and doing it in a Mustang & F-150 thats just amazing, they are my two favorite Fords. Its great to see that Ford will adapt them for you, we are rather limited to vans & people carriers in the UK.

The only time I don't have the feeling of being disabled is when I'm driving. I also have a new Harley trike that I ride. Actually Ford didn't adapt the vehicles for me. I had a shop that specializes in conversions to accomodate for disabled drivers. Ford has a reimbursment program for the equipment needed ( hand controls, lifts, etc.)

Wow, tripping over a cat, that's how my accident happened. I didn't trip over a cat, I tripped over an air hose and fell inside a stainless steel tank that I was working on ( welding was my profession)

untitled.bmp

Terry, I'm glad you started this thread. I, too, would like to thank Ford (and all manufacturers) who build vehicles that make our lives easier.

I was paralyzed in 1977 as a result of a car accident. I'm a huge Ford fan, I've owned only Fords except for a 76 Ch*vy 4x4 pickup and an International Scout. I've owned a few cars, but mostly I have driven pickups and one 91 Bronco (loved it!) because i like the extra room, and I pulled a bassboat or ATV's for most of those years.

In my opinion, the best change was in the late 90's when the SuperCab pickups became available. The rear hinged back doors of the SuperCabs make getting in and out so much easier. Before those trucks were available I would get in on the passenger side of a truck, fold the wheelchair and pull it up onto the floor of the front passenger seat as I slid over to the drivers seat.

The SuperCabs allow me to transfer into the drivers seat, fold the chair up and pull it in to the back seat behind me, close both doors, and I'm gone! Driving a SuperCab truck makes it much more convenient to carry a passenger, and the wear and tear is greatly reduced.

My current rides are, like you, a 2004 Supercab FX4 and a 1973 Mustang convertible. I bought the Mustang in the late 90's, I'm surprised how well it accomodates the wheelchair. Because of the long doors, I have enough room to reach behind the drivers seat and pull the folded wheelchair into the backseat, top up or down!

I wish i had known how well the wheelchair works with the Mustang. I know I'm in the minority, but I always really liked the 71-73 models, I would have bought one a long time ago if I had known it would accomodate the chair so well. Being a 73 model, the 2 barrel Cleveland in my Mustang was pretty weak, but it is the original, so i set it aside and bought another 351 Cleveland and rebuilt it with 4 barrel heads and mild hotrod parts. It's the cruiser Mustang I always wanted as a teenager, I just got it 25 years later...

Thank you Ford for the great vehicles. The 2011 Mustang GT is very interesing...

Mike

What a great story, I wish you the best of luck with your vehicles. As far as the scratches go. My friends would get into my truck and knock the mud off of their shoes on the rocker panel below the door, it was getting all scratched up. I ended up going to a sign shop and had them cut me some clear vinyl to cover the area, unless your looking for it you cant see it if applied correctly. Its worked well, they gave me the cheap stuff so its starting to peel but for the price its not a big deal to re-apply every now and again to keep my Ford truck looking good.

• 3 weeks later...

That is very nice that the vehicles work for you.

I, on the other hand can only get in and out of their Windstar/Freestars and am deeply disappointed they no longer make them. The Flex wouldn't work and the Econoline is way too big.

I have an electric wheelchair that fits perfectly in the back of my Windstar with a lift.

The flat floor makes it easy for me to get in the sliding door sides. I do not drive.