More Toyota- But Not a Recall

J-150

I guess with all the recalls, any further issues we should call something else...

how about calling it a "service campaign" LOL

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100302/business/as_japan_toyota_21

Tue Mar 2, 2:17 AM

By The Associated Press

ADVERTISEMENT

TOKYO - Toyota is repairing nearly 1 million vehicles in the U.S. and Japan for potentially leaky oil hoses - the latest in a spate of quality problems battering the world's biggest automaker.

The fix, which has already been rolled out in Japan since late last year, is not considered a recall in Japan, but is categorized as a "service campaign," with owners receiving notices through dealers about the needed repair, Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco said Tuesday.

Another quality control issue. And if it's been out in Japan for roughly a year now, why is it just making it to the US? Seems like the Toyota cats out of the bag. While they fix vehicles across the world, they fail to notify owners in the US. I have a hunch this is only being issued for US owners now that the committee has called them out and is asking them to conduct the same services here, as they would anywhere else. And still love their "service campaign" slogans.

I particularly like this paragragh from the article:

The faulty hoses can cause engine noise and light up the oil pressure light on vehicle dashboards, according to Toyota. In the U.S., the problem also affects the best-selling Camry and two Lexus models.
:o

Usually when the oil pressure light comes on and the engine makes noises, that is not a good sign and serious damage is being done. If it is leaking bad enough to turn on the light, that is a pretty major leak and it won't be long before all the oil is pumped out.

This sounds like it should be a recall to me.

Too me this seems almost worse than the SUA problem since this is far from an isolated problem.

There is a lot of really damning information about this problem at this site.

oil hose scandal

It seems that they are only coming clean about this because they were grilled in front of Congress.

From Toyota's web site:

This is not a safety recall and submitting a Defect Information Report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is not required. Toyota has taken this step in the interest of customer satisfaction, informing owners that Toyota and Lexus dealers will modify their vehicle to help them avoid experiencing the condition.

What this means is: We'll do ANYTHINGt to NOT report a recall! (No matter how unsafe it is!)

This sounds like it should be a recall to me.

Recalls are -only- related to vehicle safety.

Perfect example:

My '00 Sable had defective front AND rear springs. ONLY the front were recalled, because the front springs shred the tires when they break. The back springs do nothing when they break.

Both sets defective. Only one set recalled.

That's why this oil hose thing isn't a recall.

Recalls are -only- related to vehicle safety.

Perfect example:

My '00 Sable had defective front AND rear springs. ONLY the front were recalled, because the front springs shred the tires when they break. The back springs do nothing when they break.

Both sets defective. Only one set recalled.

That's why this oil hose thing isn't a recall.

Hmmm. On both of my cars, I have received recall notices for things involving the radiator cooling fan. I wouldn't say that's any more safety-related than an oil leak??

Edited by NickF1011

In the link I posted there are reports of accidents that happened after the line blew and fires. Fires are a safety issue, no? I seem to remember some other automaker having trouble with fires related to a cruise control switch that were considered safety issues.

In the link I posted there are reports of accidents that happened after the line blew and fires. Fires are a safety issue, no? I seem to remember some other automaker having trouble with fires related to a cruise control switch that were considered safety issues.

those accidents were the car behing doing donuts at Highway speeds on a rainy day on top of the oil slick....the Toyota guys engines just seize....

They aren't being very specific about where the 5 or 6 quarts of oil are going while this hose fails. If its being pumped out on the road, that damn well is a safety issue. It may not be to the guy driving the car distributing the oil, but the people behind him sure could lose control and spin out.

No Toyotas for me. No thanks!

They aren't being very specific about where the 5 or 6 quarts of oil are going while this hose fails. If its being pumped out on the road, that damn well is a safety issue. It may not be to the guy driving the car distributing the oil, but the people behind him sure could lose control and spin out.

No Toyotas for me. No thanks!

Not to mention the environmental concern. Toyota is "green" alright. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. On both of my cars, I have received recall notices for things involving the radiator cooling fan. I wouldn't say that's any more safety-related than an oil leak??

The recall notice will explain the safety risk. I wouldn't have the slightest idea what it is, not knowing the recall number, or the year of the recall.

That's not a recall - it's a Special Service Program (SSP-71). Not a safety issue.

That's not a recall - it's a Special Service Program (SSP-71). Not a safety issue.

:rolleyes: Alldata calls them recalls. I'm going to call them recalls. One was for a radiator fan retainer clip (on the Mustang), the other was for the radiator fan control module (on the Mazda). Sure, I suppose they could cause the engine to overheat and burst into flames, which would be a safety hazard. :runaway: