Ford to reveal details of new Interceptor this Friday at Las Vegas

Hey everybody,

I've heard that Ford will be doing a reveal of the new Police Interceptor at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Friday, March 12th at 10:30 am central time. I hear that Ford has invited the media and some customers to the event so it will be interesting to finally find out what Ford has in store.

There's also word of additional announcements and events designed to get Ford's fleet customers behind the wheel of the new PI well in front of Job 1 late next year.

It also sounds like Ford still want dealers to let customers know that the CVPI is still still very capable and continuing through to late 2011 or early 2012.

Hey everybody,

I've heard that Ford will be doing a reveal of the new Police Interceptor at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Friday, March 12th at 10:30 am central time. I hear that Ford has invited the media and some customers to the event so it will be interesting to finally find out what Ford has in store.

There's also word of additional announcements and events designed to get Ford's fleet customers behind the wheel of the new PI well in front of Job 1 late next year.

It also sounds like Ford still want dealers to let customers know that the CVPI is still still very capable and continuing through to late 2011 or early 2012.

HD Taurus or 5.0 Falcon.....OR 3.7 Falcon......

Taurus

sad but true fact is if so, that may actually LOSE sales.....I would go so far as to say the people that make the final decisions will have to take time to embrace FWD IF in fact they ever can...fear of change is a definite adversary....and lets face it, most will NOT be swayed and are stuck in their stubborn ways regardless.....

sad but true fact is if so, that may actually LOSE sales.....I would go so far as to say the people that make the final decisions will have to take time to embrace FWD IF in fact they ever can...fear of change is a definite adversary....and lets face it, most will NOT be swayed and are stuck in their stubborn ways regardless.....

No deparment in mass will buy a fwd loser, GM / Chrysler and Carbon will have rwd products for the job but "thier stubbron" for not wanting a Taurus P.O.S.?. Please what is Ford excuse for not offering up one and don't give me the "One Ford" plan crap.

Plus who says the Taurus will be Ford's only police sedan..

No deparment in mass will buy a fwd loser, GM / Chrysler and Carbon will have rwd products

Yeah, well, two of the three just came through bankruptcy and are largely owned by unions and governments, and the third one will probably never ever ever build a police interceptor.

No deparment in mass will buy a fwd loser, GM / Chrysler and Carbon will have rwd products for the job but "thier stubbron" for not wanting a Taurus P.O.S.?. Please what is Ford excuse for not offering up one and don't give me the "One Ford" plan crap.

Plus who says the Taurus will be Ford's only police sedan..

Let's see: the Taurus has more power, uses less gas, and is safer than the current Crown Victoria, and you call it POS? What kind of logic is that?

Besides, I am not convinced that Carbon will ever come out with a viable product. It seems to be even more vaporware than Tesla.

Yeah, well, two of the three just came through bankruptcy and are largely owned by unions and governments, and the third one will probably never ever ever build a police interceptor.

"Yeah, well, two of the three just came through bankruptcy and are largely owned by unions and governments," ........with nearly all of thier debt erased, still don't change the fact the Taurus will be a runner up behind em. But hey atleast Ford will have the Impala beat :doh:

"and the third one will probably never ever ever build a police interceptor"

I won't totaly dismiss them seeing that Ford had control of the cop market.

........with nearly all of thier debt erased, still don't change the fact the Taurus will be a runner up behind em. But hey atleast Ford will have the Impala beat :doh:

I'd like to have access to that crystal ball.

"and the third one will probably never ever ever build a police interceptor"

I won't totaly dismiss them seeing that Ford had control of the cop market.

I think I will. Their idea as presented would cost police departments a fortune.

Let's see: the Taurus has more power, uses less gas, and is safer than the current Crown Victoria, and you call it POS? What kind of logic is that?

Besides, I am not convinced that Carbon will ever come out with a viable product. It seems to be even more vaporware than Tesla.

"Let's see: the Taurus has more power, uses less gas, and is safer than the current Crown Victoria, and you call it POS? What kind of logic is that?"

True it is better then the C/V in those respects but it will still get crushed by competiors,. Look the Taurus itself is not a bad car but Ford knows it's joking if they think they will get the same marketshare with a fwd car.

"Besides, I am not convinced that Carbon will ever come out with a viable product. It seems to be even more vaporware than Tesla"

Carbon already have a factory set plus some agencies already lined up for one (D.H.S. for example) but you would see a handfull hit the streets as departments rightfuly not ready for a $60K squadcar from a start-up company.

True it is better then the C/V in those respects but it will still get crushed by competitors,. Look the Taurus itself is not a bad car but Ford knows it's joking if they think they will get the same marketshare with a fwd car.

We don't even know all of the details of the car yet. I think I'd wait before I'd pronounce it dead.

True it is better then the C/V in those respects but it will still get crushed by competiors,. Look the Taurus itself is not a bad car but Ford knows it's joking if they think they will get the same marketshare with a fwd car.

Market share is meaningless if it doesn't translate into profits.

As it stands, the only way that the Caprice is going to possible be competitive with the Taurus is if it undercuts the Taurus substantially price-wise, which means that GM won't make any real profit from it if it did so. If that is what GM's going to do, Ford should cede the market and make its money elsewhere. But I doubt that GM is that stupid.

Well who knows if Ford was pulling a fast one and the new P.I. is a Panther with a new 2012 crash standard body, 5.0 and a 6-speed auto. Because if it was a Taurus Ford shouda said it's the Taurus already, or it can be both a new police C/V and Taurus.

From what i was looking at other car sites about the new P.I. a few insiders said it's a updated Panther or a car based off the new Falcon/Mustang platform. I'll guess we'll see friday.

Edited by Fgts

O.K., I have worked for municipal fleets in the past, and have a lot of family members in law enforcement. I know something about how law enforcement vehicles are procured, and what goes into the purchasing decisions. The 'great' FWD/RWD debate does indeed rage on, but so far no one posting here has hit on the REAL problem. It is not, in most cases, durability, or even performance. In fact, for many years the 3.8L Impala was actually marginally faster than the Crown Vic and did better in some department's handling tests. The issue is driver (officer) training. FWD and RWD cars handle differently in extreme situations, and no department wants their officers to have to stop and consider what kind of squad they are driving halfway through a high speed pursuit. That's the biggest reason FWD cars have not caught on, though they have been used with success in some north eastern metropolitan areas where inclement weather is a factor. My prediction is Ford will become a minor player in law enforcement if the next Police Interceptor is indeed based on the Taurus and Dodge continues with the police Charger and Chevy offers up the Caprice. That will be 2 RWD squads against one FWD squad. A Taurus (or other FWD) squad would have a chance should the Charger go away and the Caprice not come out. Forget about Carbon. That car is just too expensive, and it remains to be seen if Carbon Motors will even make a profit at $60,000. They have some interesting technology, but it will be very hard for any department to justify spending that much taxpayer money on just one car! If you know about municipal fleets, you might be inclined to bring up BMW motorcycles or Crown fire apparatus to support the arguement for an expensive specialized vehicle like the Carbon squad, but those situations were somewhat different. Now, if Carbon were to LEASE those expensive cars.......

It should be fairly obvious that the ONLY reason the CV has survived as long as it has is because of fleet sales. Unless Ford has a vehicle up its sleeve that has the same capabilities along with improved efficiencies they will no longer dominate the LEV market. There are reasons why law enforcement agencies continue to prefer the CVPI over the competition and that is because it is better suited to the task than any of the current competition and it is affordable to purchase and maintain. Take away any of those factors and Ford no longer has any advantage in that market. The other side of the equation of course is that Ford has to be able make a profit on whatever they sell.

If all of those attributes cannot be combined into one vehicle then maybe the ultimate answer is that one tax supported entity (GM) will have to service other tax supported entities.