New Ranger or lost buyers what does Ford want ??

gafry

I have owned three Ford Rangers and am looking for another new one.

Must I and other Ranger owners look to another Manufacture? or is Ford going to revamp the Ranger.

The Sport trac sucks, I had one and sold it shortly after for a truck.

What The New Ranger needs:

1. Extended cab with a bench seat across the back.

2. A Eco-boost 4 cylinder with 30 + MPG

3. New Styling

I have owned three Ford Rangers and am looking for another new one.

Must I and other Ranger owners look to another Manufacture? or is Ford going to revamp the Ranger.

The Sport trac sucks, I had one and sold it shortly after for a truck.

What The New Ranger needs:

1. Extended cab with a bench seat across the back.

2. A Eco-boost 4 cylinder with 30 + MPG

3. New Styling

Agreed - 4 Rangers in the past 11 years - perfect for my needs(95% comuter,5% utility) I'm not going to get another until I see whats coming.

You guys willing to pay the $$$ a NEW Ranger will cost?

GM is killing the Colorado/Canyon because of poor sales. You can get a crew cab 4x4 Silverado/Sierra that gets the same MPG as a crew cab 4x4 Colorado.

Suzuki has to give away gas to try and move their rebadged Frontier.

The mighty Mahindra bumps their launch date back every six months. It was supposed to be out over a year ago. What's the hold up? Can't make it work fiscally in the USA?

The only vehicle in this segment that sells well is the Taco and that is a midsize now. Hell, look at a four door Taco, it's as big as a 1997 F150!

As Nick has said more than once, the current Ranger sells because it's cheap. A new Ranger will not be cheap.

Edited by MY93SHO

If there are people willing to spend the $$ on a loaded Fiesta because of the desirability of the product, I'd be willing to say there's a market for a Ranger.

Whether there's enough of a market, remains a question. Someone is buying those Tacomas. (>100K last year)

However, if the costs to produce the Fiesta can be spread worldwide to make it profitable, the Ranger's can, too.

......if the product is something more (than the current number of) people want.

However, if the costs to produce the Fiesta can be spread worldwide to make it profitable, the Ranger's can, too.

That's the thing really. I'm unsure if the global Ranger was really built to be marketed in the U.S. Might end up being a bad decision for Ford if that's the case.

That's the thing really. I'm unsure if the global Ranger was really built to be marketed in the U.S. Might end up being a bad decision for Ford if that's the case.

Mahindra has announced the intro the end of 2010 for it's small Diesel Pickup

I for one wanted a ranger ever since I owned one new in '95, sold it at 64K and have regretted it ever since. Am in the market for a new one but essentially the new is simply the same as the '95. Why buy a 20 year old model with no refinement at all for 20K plus with any sort of option?? Even worse the option list is limited as well and packaging forces you to settle for options you just may neither need nor want.

Quite simply, Ford will not get my replacement dollars. Have owned nothing but Fords since 1965 with a single exception in 72. which lasted for 12 months....(toyota) crapola vehicle..at the time, both valves and transmission died at 14,000 miles.

A good product will always find customers if offered at reasonable cost. see the rebounding fortunes at Ford.

While Nasser was destroying Ford without any decent product in the pipeline I wrote Ford a letter asking them to develop decent products and predicting market share loss just as has come to pass. He basically fleeced Ford of reserves and left a rich man with the company a basket case!

Happily there seem to be some cooler and more astute heads driving the company now.

It is all well and wise to cut product lines that overlap but continued pruning of available product tends to also trim exposure to varying clientele. It simply makes sense to re-do the Ranger in a form competitive, durable and modern. The other option just cedes another niche to other companies.

Edited by Vaquero28

There are lots of good points made here both for and against a new, competetive Ranger. I would add one other comment and I have stated this in other Ranger related posts....even if it gets better mileage and can haul more people and cargo, not everyone wants the almighty F150 and the reason is simply because the fricking thing is HUGE. Give me a Dakota sized F100 with four doors and a six foot bed and I will be happy as a pig in....well, you know what. :stirpot:

Excuse me as I have only re-registered on this site again after feeling like I was run off for a few years - due to this same complaint. Does anyone understand that the Ranger has been a real truck for a long time? Ford made this little truck like no one other. They have had strong axles, relatively strong drivetrains and until recently limited slip, FX-4 options.

So, no - another SportTrac is not the answer. Many of us have a need for a small, capable truck. We have two 4X4 Rangers now - one is a farm truck that does everything from plowing snow to hauling firewood in difficult terrain and even though it is nearly 15 years old, it does anything else we ask. And, I might add without complaint and very few repairs. The other one is a lot newer and does the in-town shopping and sure is a pleasure to park in strip malls and wherever door dings are likely in the big trucks.

Do we have F-150's too? Yes - two of them, both 4X4 too. So, no - Ford - you won't necessarily lose your F-150 buyer. We'll be there. But, yes, you will lose your Ranger buyer. Not sure how we'll ever replace these good small trucks. Guess it will likely be a Nissan and I do dread going back there. Maybe some version of an old Jeep.

It will be a real shame if Ford gives up on the Ranger as a real truck in North America. And, by the way - yes the F-150 is too big now for normal people use. The 1997-2003 version was almost too big - now they are way too big. And, the mileage argument does me no good. Put a stronger engine in a smaller, lesser weight truck. I have not been that far out of college to understand physics.

If the F-150 can get 20+ mpg with the new engines, a new Ranger could probably get close to 30+mpg. That is one argument I will never understand.

quote name='T'Cal' date='18 May 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1274222433' post='615450']

For those of you who have owned and driven Rangers (not me), would you be opposed to a FWD/AWD replacement based on the Escape or new Explorer?

• Like 1

The challenge for Ford is how to offer a new Ranger that's cost effective. I believe the global Ranger was designed without the U.S. (pre-Mulally) and it sounds like it either can't be easily adapted for the U.S. or there simply aren't enough resources to do it right now.

I don't think Ford will abandon the Ranger. I just don't think they've figured out what to do with it yet.

• Like 1

The challenge for Ford is how to offer a new Ranger that's cost effective. I believe the global Ranger was designed without the U.S. (pre-Mulally) and it sounds like it either can't be easily adapted for the U.S. or there simply aren't enough resources to do it right now.

I don't think Ford will abandon the Ranger. I just don't think they've figured out what to do with it yet.

BINGO

My sources tell me that the global ranger brought to the us would start at $17,700 without incentives. That's a 1.6 liter eco-boosted 2x4 long bed. Sure it gets 30+ MPG and its a true midsize.

A fully loaded unit with a 3.7 liter 4 wheel drive, 4 door quad cab loaded could top $34,000. Keep in mind that in addition to getting 26MPG unloaded and being capable of towing a MAX of 6,400lbs or a TON in the bed.

Keep in mind the global ranger's competition is the Hilux and the Amorok. The WV Amorok is smaller than the old F150 and is still considered a 1 ton truck.

So yes Ford would have to figure out if they could sell such a vehicle in the US.

Edited by Mackintire

For those of you who have owned and driven Rangers (not me), would you be opposed to a FWD/AWD replacement based on the Escape or new Explorer?

I have owned two ('85 & '99). Both were great trucks, run into the ground but would not die. I would most likely be in a Ranger now, but the family (wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs) wouldn't fit, so this is why I have the F150.

Either way if I were in the market, there is no way I'd purchase a FWD/AWD Ranger based on either the Escape or new Explorer.

A fully loaded unit with a 3.7 liter 4 wheel drive, 4 door quad cab loaded could top $34,000. Keep in mind that in addition to getting 26MPG unloaded and being capable of towing a MAX of 6,400lbs or a TON in the bed.

Keep in mind the global ranger's competition is the Hilux and the Amorok. The WV Amorok is smaller than the old F150 and is still considered a 1 ton truck.

What does a Ranger SuperCab 4x4 with all the bells and whistles go for now? The last time I was at the dealer, I know I saw several Rangers above $20K, but I don't remember how they were equipped.

What does a Ranger SuperCab 4x4 with all the bells and whistles go for now? The last time I was at the dealer, I know I saw several Rangers above $20K, but I don't remember how they were equipped.

The MSRP for a 2010 Ranger SuperCab 4x4 with everything is $28,925.

The invoice price is closer to $26,400 without incentives.

If the US gets the global ranger and you configured it Apples to Apples the adjusted price would MSRP for $29,800 with the EB 2.0 liter 230HP

Add the full Quad Cab, leather and a 3.7 liter and you'll be pushing $34k +

If the US gets the global ranger and you configured it Apples to Apples the adjusted price would MSRP for $29,800 with the EB 2.0 liter 230HP

The Explorer Sport Trac can reach into the $40K range now, so why would a Ranger at around $34K be any worse? Sure the ST isn't a big seller, at least around here anyways. But I can't see why a more capable truck with nearly similar equipment selling for a lower price would be a bad thing.

Sorry if I'm asking too much, but in an effort to get an apples-to-apples comparison.....

What would a current F-150 optioned exactly the same way as the global Ranger (the $29,800 one, not the $34K one) cost? (NOTE: whether it be the V6 or base V8 I leave to your judgement)

Edited by RangerM

Sorry if I'm asking too much, but in an effort to get an apples-to-apples comparison.....

What would a current F-150 optioned exactly the same way as the global Ranger (the $29,800 one, not the $34K one) cost? (NOTE: whether it be the V6 or base V8 I leave to your judgement)

Can't say for the 2010 models, but back in 2006 when I purchased my F150, I paid invoice which was just over $27K when MSRP was listed around $36K.

Edited by V8-X

I don't claim to know how big the market is for a well-equipped high quality Ranger sized truck but I, personally would absolutely be willing to pay into the low $30s for a truck similar in size to a Ranger but with a modern powertrain, quality and features. I wouldn't even think of cross shopping an F150 even at the same price.

Like others, I have had 3 Rangers and would be in the market for another. My current 4X4 SuperCab has hauled 1500 pounds of landscape rock, building materials for home projects, 4X8 sheets of sheetrock to finish my basement, loads of firewood and about any other load that a suburban homeowner could think of. In addition, it will go places on the family farm where an F150 simply will not fit. To top it off, it is a fine commuter vehicle on snowy Minnesota days. Twelve inches of snow and the snowplow has created a 30 inch berm at the end of the driveway? No Problem. Leave the Lincoln in the garage and take the Ranger. Parking in a tight downtown ramp? No problem. The Ranger turns sharp and fits in spaces where an F150 will not. Want to do a little offroading? No problem. The Ranger is tough as nails and will go places in tight quarters where you have have to park an F150.

I would be happy with another Ranger the same size as the current one. Yes, a quad cab should be available. I don't need it but others do and it would attract more buyers. I would like to see features like sync, leather and heated seats available. The 3.5 or 3.7 and 6 speed automatic would make the truck very quick and get better mileage than the old 4.0 in the current model. A new Ranger could and should have a bit more attention given to cabin noise isolation and ride quality.

Build it and they will come....I don't know how many "they" are, but count me in and don't worry about being the bottom feeder on price.

I don't claim to know how big the market is for a well-equipped high quality Ranger sized truck but I, personally would absolutely be willing to pay into the low $30s for a truck similar in size to a Ranger but with a modern powertrain, quality and features. I wouldn't even think of cross shopping an F150 even at the same price.

Like others, I have had 3 Rangers and would be in the market for another. My current 4X4 SuperCab has hauled 1500 pounds of landscape rock, building materials for home projects, 4X8 sheets of sheetrock to finish my basement, loads of firewood and about any other load that a suburban homeowner could think of. In addition, it will go places on the family farm where an F150 simply will not fit. To top it off, it is a fine commuter vehicle on snowy Minnesota days. Twelve inches of snow and the snowplow has created a 30 inch berm at the end of the driveway? No Problem. Leave the Lincoln in the garage and take the Ranger. Parking in a tight downtown ramp? No problem. The Ranger turns sharp and fits in spaces where an F150 will not. Want to do a little offroading? No problem. The Ranger is tough as nails and will go places in tight quarters where you have have to park an F150.

I would be happy with another Ranger the same size as the current one. Yes, a quad cab should be available. I don't need it but others do and it would attract more buyers. I would like to see features like sync, leather and heated seats available. The 3.5 or 3.7 and 6 speed automatic would make the truck very quick and get better mileage than the old 4.0 in the current model. A new Ranger could and should have a bit more attention given to cabin noise isolation and ride quality.

Build it and they will come....I don't know how many "they" are, but count me in and don't worry about being the bottom feeder on price.

Frankly after driving Rangers for a long time, they obviously need updating. They need a new engine although my manual tranny 4.0 is quite competitive in terms of power/economy. Most people won't live with that set-up though.

So, yes - if Ford wants to sell new Rangers they need to move into the next era with them. And that includes a real 4-door model that will accomodate a small family. At least child-seats.

It still needs to be strong and capable with a decent sized bed. Should be able to haul a small boat, maybe a still 6,000 pound tow rating. And haul a decent Home Depot load of at least 1,000 pounds at least for a ways. For some of us it needs to have a strong enough front-end to plow some snow too although air bags help a lot. Those of us doing that understand the need. Really just a smaller F-150 with good unloaded power and economy.

I personally think Ford has the makings of this vehicle around. What is the price tag? I don't know. But the smaller trucks have a place even in North America. The strong ones do big duty plowing small parking lots/driveways that I promise folks you would not venture into with a current F-150. In between seasons, they run regular duty with shopping and probably also hauling some stuff. There is a place for these vehicles.

Just offer them with some appealing MPG numbers and keep them capable. And, long-living like their predecessors.

As close as I can configure it.

F150 quad cab 4x4 XLT 5.4 liter V8 very nicely equipped MSRP's at $41,000

So in a way I'm comparing two trucks with similar equipment and 0-60 performance.

A $41,000 fullsize truck capable of towing 9000lbs and achieving 18 MPG unloaded

to a $34,000-$36,000 midsize truck capable of towing 6500lbs and achieving 26 MPG unloaded.

I added a possible 2 grand buffer to the midsize for this comparison.

I felt the need to add another note. This is partly an unfair comparison. A 2010 F150 against a 2012-2013 T6 Midsized Ranger. The 2011 F150's have all new engines including the 3.7 liter V6, the 5.0 liter V8 and the EB 3.5 liter V6. The EB 3.5 V6 is a bit of a game changer, as americans have never had an option like this in a truck and adoption numbers are unknown at the time.

NOTE: I did not include leather or other luxury items. If I did that the F150 could go over $50k and the midsize could potentially go over $40k.

Part of the reason the ST is so expensive is the independent rear suspension, composite bed and lack of sharing parts with another volume vehicle.

Edited by Mackintire

Based on what you calculated, it sounds to me like there is enough of a price difference between them to undermine the "Cost versus Benefit" argument of cross-shopping the Ranger and the F-150.

I guess it leaves the question of whether or not the demand is there.

I admit I would not be interested in a fully-loaded truck. I don't want/need a 4x4, and I don't like most of the leather seats I've seen (except in the King Ranch), so I wouldn't spend the $$ for it.