NEW EXPLORER SPY SHOTS

2011-explorer-r34-1-1600-thumb-717x477.jpg

Separate lift glass? No?

post-13023-12771749548094_thumb.jpg

Very hard to tell......I'm unfortunately leaning toward no - I see no 'cutlines' for a separate lift glass to open separate from the liftgate - and if they're there, Ford did a GREAT job 'blending' them.....of course, it is camoed...

Nope. That's the logo/backup camera carbuncle.

No, I see what PD is talking about - it's what looks like a little tab just beneath the wiper, similar to the Escape's rear wiper:

ford_escape_rear.jpg

I feel as though my eyes are deceiving me, however.

And RJ, it looks to me as though the backup camera will be centered just above the license plate, sharing the overhang with/splitting the plate lights. At least there's something black there that appears to be sticking out a bit. The oval to me doesn't look like it's protruding from the sheetmetal enough to be the same backup camera/logo combo used on the F-150, Flex, and Taurus.

Edited by rmc523

Look at the current Explorer (and the Escape above), the 11 Explorer its lacking the black tabs at the top of the glass that allows it to open separably.

explorer-after-large.jpg

Then again they could be hidden under the spoiler too that it now has

Nice catch...plus that little spoiler looks like it would hamper the glass opening separately. Unless, the hinges for the glass are above the spoiler and the spoiler opens with the glass.

Isn't it amazing how we can speculate so much about one little feature based on a spy photo? :hysterical:

I think it's a major oversight for Ford to have removed the seperate lift-glass from the rear lift gate. It totally takes out the "utility" from what it's trying to be. I can care less about all the cute little 4x4 dial options, and would have preferred having the seperate opening lift window instead...

I think it's a major oversight for Ford to have removed the seperate lift-glass from the rear lift gate. It totally takes out the "utility" from what it's trying to be. I can care less about all the cute little 4x4 dial options, and would have preferred having the seperate opening lift window instead...

Could be a weight saving measure too...I know there was rumors going around about the lift gate being made out of magnesium or something.

The D pillar does not look as large from the outside as the interior shot that Ford released on Facebook.

Hard to really tell until you open the liftgate, you might be staring at a lot of metal on either side of the opening. I'm curious if there are any spyshots with an open liftgate from the outside.

I"m not seeing the tab below the wiper. What I see there is a bubble from the black tinting sheet they put on the window which is catching the sun on the right side of the wiper's round seal. So unless part of the panel below the glass opens like the pre-2006 Explorer's separate glass, I don't see this new model having that feature unfortunately. I also don't see the black rubber covered button for the glass anywhere near the backup camera which is where it should be. I can't imagine they would put that button in the lower handle cutout with the power hatch button. They would be too close together in there.

I'm wondering what the keyfob will be like for this. If it does have the separate glass somehow they will have to change the keyfob from the current one uses (see the Flex/Escape/Fusion/etc fobs) to accomodate a button to open the separate glass remotely too. The keyfob for our Escape uses the "2X" button to open the separate glass and the same button on the Flex opens the power hatch.

Funny, I thought one of these testers was painted red. Now I see that the red is actually some tape! Ha!

The D pillar does not look as large from the outside as the interior shot that Ford released on Facebook.

here are some comparisons with its platform mates:

Flex

interior-of-09-Flex-2.jpg

Taurus X and Freestyle

112_0501_free_paci_13z+2005_ford_freestyle+rear_interior_view.jpg

ford_taurus_x_sel_fwd_2008_interior_26.jpg

Starting to think its the Camera

WTF IMG codes not working?

Edited by NickF1011
Fixed it for ya :)

Look, it can tow too. Just don't ask me what the page says!

Linky

Russian to English translation

One of the lucky ones managed to live to get acquainted with the new Ford Explorer 2011, and also make some pictures of the crossover, to share emotions with others. The prototype was spotted at one of the busiest routes near Detroit.

Even despite the fact that the prototype is covered with camouflage it gives much more precise idea about the new product than the recently released by the official teasers. Ford Explorer 2011 received a new roof spoiler, enlarged wheel arches and a new exhaust system, front fog lights appeared high.

Presumably under the hood will be available 2.0-liter EcoBoost, or 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, 355 hp power (265 kW) and 474 Nm of torque.

There is also an assumption that the formal presentation of the new Ford Explorer 2011 will be held on Facebook, and not the other way.

Russian to English translation

One of the lucky ones managed to live to get acquainted with the new Ford Explorer 2011, and also make some pictures of the crossover, to share emotions with others. The prototype was spotted at one of the busiest routes near Detroit.

Sounds like Ford has an outstanding "Kill On Sight" order, and this "lucky one" just survived a massacre Good job KGB! :lol:

No it doesn't.

I"m not seeing the tab below the wiper. What I see there is a bubble from the black tinting sheet they put on the window which is catching the sun on the right side of the wiper's round seal. So unless part of the panel below the glass opens like the pre-2006 Explorer's separate glass, I don't see this new model having that feature unfortunately. I also don't see the black rubber covered button for the glass anywhere near the backup camera which is where it should be. I can't imagine they would put that button in the lower handle cutout with the power hatch button. They would be too close together in there.

I'm wondering what the keyfob will be like for this. If it does have the separate glass somehow they will have to change the keyfob from the current one uses (see the Flex/Escape/Fusion/etc fobs) to accomodate a button to open the separate glass remotely too. The keyfob for our Escape uses the "2X" button to open the separate glass and the same button on the Flex opens the power hatch.

Funny, I thought one of these testers was painted red. Now I see that the red is actually some tape! Ha!

They could put the button for the liftglass off to the left or right side of the license plate overhang.

As for the keyfob, on Ford's current key, there's 2 blank spots above the lock/unlock buttons where a liftglass button could go. I think we'll see new keys coming out of Ford though. Certainly models equipped with keyless entry/'go' will have the different key (I'd assume certain Explorer models will have this feature).

No it doesn't.

They could put the button for the liftglass off to the left or right side of the license plate overhang.

As for the keyfob, on Ford's current key, there's 2 blank spots above the lock/unlock buttons where a liftglass button could go. I think we'll see new keys coming out of Ford though. Certainly models equipped with keyless entry/'go' will have the different key (I'd assume certain Explorer models will have this feature).

if anyone remembers their Explorers rear "liftgate" glass shattering, having to be replaced along with strut re-inforcement, i'm sure they can understand a potential reason for its absense on the 2012.

if anyone remembers their Explorers rear "liftgate" glass shattering, having to be replaced along with strut re-inforcement, i'm sure they can understand a potential reason for its absense on the 2012.

Wasn't this just in the '02-'05, where the "liftglass" was a large panel that dipped much lower than the glass line? I haven't heard of any problems with the '06-current.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Wasn't this just in the '02-'05, where the "liftglass" was a large panel that dipped much lower than the glass line? I haven't heard of any problems with the '06-current.

I rightfully never took notice of years...but there seemed to be quite a few in need of replacements....man that glas gos EVERYWHERE inside the car and seemingly in EVERY exterior crevice

I rightfully never took notice of years...but there seemed to be quite a few in need of replacements....man that glas gos EVERYWHERE inside the car and seemingly in EVERY exterior crevice

Sounds like the '02-'05. These Explorers had more than just lift glass, it was an entire liftgate-within-a-liftgate that had it's own structure. The benefit was a much lower reach-in height with the liftglass was open. The drawback was that the thing was outrageously heavy, and the amount of force necessary to close it could cause the glass to shatter. I've heard that the glass also functioned as bracing for the substructure which also made it more prone to breaking. In a plan to save weight, the body colored trim piece at the bottom of the liftglass was made of thin plastic, and this also broke fairly regularly from normal use. When I started here at WBNS, we had a fleet of 20 2004-5 Explorers and all but a handful of them had a cracked or shattered trim panel at the base of the glass.

The '06 used a traditional hinged glass window only (like the first-gen Explorer, and most other SUVs) and I haven't seen any issues with it.

I think that the glass will open separately since the wiper is mounted in the glass as opposed to on the body. It is also possible that the part of the body above the chrome strip will rise with the glass as in the '02-'05 models for a lower lift-over. The spoiler looks like it will rise with the glass. I don't see any metal pins in the glass so the glass would have to be fixed to a door frame or attached to the spoiler.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow