Lincoln MKR

Here's what a more production-oriented MKR could look like.

mkr4.jpg

Overall, I tried to make it look like a production version of the '07 MKR concept, keeping the clean look that made the concept looked so good. Some may not like it, but I put a "LINCOLN" text "logo" on the aft corners similar to the Thunderbirds had for years. On the advice of PREMiERdrum, I hid the rear door handles to give the vehicle a more coupe-like appearance. The rear keeps it's full-width taillights, a design feature I love. I also gave the vehicle a sort of 'center spine' similar to what the MKT and MKX have on the hood, but it's extended down the entire front and rear of the car (not as exaggerated in certain areas as it is in others).

I also felt like it needed it's own signature design feature that made it distinctive from any other car on the road, so........it's signature design feature on this vehicle is it's 'flying butress' corners, as if areas on each corner had been carved out, but the corners themselves were left in place leaving an open area between them (see the Ferrari GTB Fiorano's C-pillar design for a "real" visual example). Both the head- and tail-lights would continue behind this corner pillar and form the side marker/running lights.

I wasn't going to post this, but I wanted opinions on it LOL.

Edited by rmc523

I love the changes you made since the first time you showed it to me.

One question: The detail under the headlights (the little "L" shaped item)... what is that? Is it a depression in the metal? When I first glanced at it I thought it was a continuation of the headlight, perhaps an LED backlit detail, but now I'm not so sure what it is.

And, here's a thought... on the "MKR" logo on the rear end, what if the M and K were the usual chrome applique, and the R was actually a red LED backlit character. The third letter in the MK_ scheme is already differentiated from the MK by being larger and in a different font, but this could help further than emphasis. It could also be a cool attention-getting detail to spread to the rest of the line.

I love the changes you made since the first time you showed it to me.

One question: The detail under the headlights (the little "L" shaped item)... what is that? Is it a depression in the metal? When I first glanced at it I thought it was a continuation of the headlight, perhaps an LED backlit detail, but now I'm not so sure what it is.

And, here's a thought... on the "MKR" logo on the rear end, what if the M and K were the usual chrome applique, and the R was actually a red LED backlit character. The third letter in the MK_ scheme is already differentiated from the MK by being larger and in a different font, but this could help further than emphasis. It could also be a cool attention-getting detail to spread to the rest of the line.

Glad to hear that. The "L" shaped item under the headlights (and tallights for that matter) are where the sheetmetal begins to taper back as part of the flying buttress corners, but I do suppose in front they could be a headlight LED/running light detail - I didn't think of that.

That's a great idea on the logo - I'm 100% behind LED backlit logos, in fact all the other stuff (all my stuff) I've shown you has them as well - up front too.

Edited by rmc523

i LOVE it! i like everything about it, the way you drew it, the design, the thoughts behind what you did and why. absolutely stunning! i think the 'flying buttress' corners could really work!

my '68 Caddy back in the day, couldn't go through the automatic car wash in town because of the way the dual vertical headlights 'cut back' into the grille. in plan view, those headlights were really pushed out at the corners. the brush mechanism of the car wash would get caught in the recess after it moved around the headlights. as long as your corners aren't that deep, lol!

bravo!

I like Drum's idea of a backlit character also. The "R" model could be red, for the 'hot' sport character. The luxury Lincoln TC replacement, whatever it will be, could be a great Emerald Green, or perhaps another dark luxurious gem color. Special models could use a cool blue-ish white color. Each car line could have its own main color, and then an overall 'special' color for sports models. My old '83 Riviera had a small backlit "R" logo on each C pillar that everyone thought was tastetul and cool.

• 3 months later...

That is a gorgeous design...pure eye candy!! Would that supplant the MKS as the flagship? You will have them lined up for orders if it comes out. I am coming out of an FX35 which I adore the styling of it. 7 years later and it still gets looks. Good designs are timeless. You have a real talent.

*sigh... If only they'd build it JUST like that!

Hows about mocking up an interior? :D

Just to update you Aussie_Ford, I did a quick small sketch, and have the exact design I want for the interior ready - I'll hopefully be able to make it a larger, more detailed sketch by the end of the weekend.

That is a gorgeous design...pure eye candy!! Would that supplant the MKS as the flagship? You will have them lined up for orders if it comes out. I am coming out of an FX35 which I adore the styling of it. 7 years later and it still gets looks. Good designs are timeless. You have a real talent.

Thank you, richy. Rather than saying it'd supplant the MKS as a flagship (which is really only a 'makeshift' flagship), I'd say it would be the company's flagship (unless they come out with some new, limited production sports coupe or something), representing the best/newest technology from the brand.

I love the original FX as well, though I don't like the new model (I knew they'd screw it up).

Just to update you Aussie_Ford, I did a quick small sketch, and have the exact design I want for the interior ready - I'll hopefully be able to make it a larger, more detailed sketch by the end of the weekend.

Thank you, richy. Rather than saying it'd supplant the MKS as a flagship (which is really only a 'makeshift' flagship), I'd say it would be the company's flagship (unless they come out with some new, limited production sports coupe or something), representing the best/newest technology from the brand.

I love the original FX as well, though I don't like the new model (I knew they'd screw it up).

Thank you. Actually, I'd love to get your opinion on this. When I look at the Taurus headlights, they have a striking resemblance to the original FX35. The shape of them especially. Do you see that? I don't mean they copied it, but there is a strong resemblance for sure. I remember telling the Ford Exec who was at the Detroit Auto show last year and he looked at me like I was smoking crack. I have washed that car 1000 or more times in 7 years and know exactly how it looks. They are both beautiful for that matter!!

Thank you. Actually, I'd love to get your opinion on this. When I look at the Taurus headlights, they have a striking resemblance to the original FX35. The shape of them especially. Do you see that? I don't mean they copied it, but there is a strong resemblance for sure. I remember telling the Ford Exec who was at the Detroit Auto show last year and he looked at me like I was smoking crack. I have washed that car 1000 or more times in 7 years and know exactly how it looks. They are both beautiful for that matter!!

Sure, they look similar - I definitely wouldn't go as far to say the Taurus' were inspired by the FX's (as many car headlights are that sort of shape these days), but they are surely similar looking.

And funny you mention Taurus - not to hijack my own thread, but I drew this picture back in 2007 or 2008, well before the 2010 model was revealed or debuted, and I was pretty close on the real design:

taurus.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh... If only they'd build it JUST like that!

Hows about mocking up an interior? :D

Alright Aussie_Ford, it's been almost a month now, but I have an interior for you to look at. I hope you like it

mkrinterior4.jpg

A few design highlights:

-it has all the latest MyLincoln Touch gizmos

-I gave it a bit of a dual pod design like some of the older Lincolns

-the sporty, 3-spoke steering wheel goes along with it's manual tranny (yes, manual) - the parking brake is behind the shifter

-the door grab handles and behind the console echo the exterior's flying buttress corners

-the overall horizontal theme (with wood trim, etc) follow the horizontal theme used in the car's rear end (mainly with the taillights)

-you can't really see it, but the speaker covers at the bottom of the doors will tie into the lower portion of door grab handle and echo the exterior front grille with vertical slats

-the central spine at the top of the dash echoes the exterior's central spine

I just realized i forgot to give it a mirror control knob, but it'd probably go in a similar spot to the MKX - on top of the driver's door grab handle.

Again, I hope you like it!

Edited by rmc523

• 1 month later...

What about an analog clock? Have they fallen out of vogue? I miss the one I had in my FX. I finally got my MKX in BTW, check out where I detailed it and coated the paint:

http://www.live2deta...hread.php?t=971

Sorry I didn't even see this post, richy!

Well, with the speaker being on the dash it's almost horizontal/flat and only slighly curved at the edge where the center stack starts to "waterfall" downward - therefore, a clock here would definitely not work/fit (unless you want a clock that faces the sky LOL).

That said, I do have an analog clock in my Flex and agree it's sometimes handy. Honestly/personally, I think whether a vehicle has something like an analog clock depends on the vehicle's "personality." On a vehicle like this MKR, which is meant to be a sporty, more aggressive offering, I think an analog clock would be somewhat out of place. But say on a top of the line, decked-out, "super-luxury" vehicle, or even just a luxury-oriented vehicle, an analog clock could work.......just my opinion.

Congrats on the MKX - looks great! That 10 hours of hard work to clean it paid off!

One thing to note on the paint - it's actually not metallic paint, but rather those a small pieces of glass put into the paint to make it sparkle / give it it's look.