The Fiesta SES 5 speed

some tid bits from the first drive last night over the 73 toll road, which is a STEEP drive. Average 34mpgs, 4th gear up the hill, 5th is definitely an overdrive....averaged 75 -80 mph. Engine has a REALLY nice snarl ( 80 mph in 4th is approx 4500 rpms, in 5th 3000 is 70ish ) when the boot is in, and is a hoot over 4000 rpms where it seems to "come on Cam". At idle I had to check the car was running, on the road the car is impressively quiet. Light clutch take up, shifter is nice ( but theres a short shifter being developed which i may install. Comfort is EXCELLENT, the seats are SO much more comfortable than the minis its a joke, ride is firmly supple and handling is crisp, even with the stock 17 inch wheels ( when i get some cash i'll up that ante as well ) NO wind noise, NO bump thump road noise, EXCELLENT stereo...so far I am pleasently impressed. Any questions let me know. Oh, and my gal has a HUGE grin...LOVES it, and the Tux Black with Plum looks great. Oh...and the Steering wheel is the best ive had my hands on...CHUNKY!

Edited by Deanh

Thanks for the review! A couple questions Deanh:

1.) Do you like the OE Hankook Optimo H426 tires after all? You're not going to dump them for a set of Michelins, are you? :hysterical:

2.) Is the manual transmission a Ford IB5+? I think that's the only one manufactured exclusively in Brazil for passenger car applications.

Thanks for the review! A couple questions Deanh:

1.) Do you like the OE Hankook Optimo H426 tires after all? You're not going to dump them for a set of Michelins, are you? :hysterical:

2.) Is the manual transmission a Ford IB5+? I think that's the only one manufactured exclusively in Brazil for passenger car applications.

Twisties havent been hit yet, and I'll keep the Kooks until I maybe upgrade the wheels and tires to a 1 + 1....all depends on the $ avail....but the car seems sure footed and solid, not twitchie like the Mini could be ( nibble tech maybe? ) ride is impressive for a short wheelbase, also car feels TIGHT, no rattles squeaks NADA...unlike the frameless windows on the Cooper which became a rattle fest, Cant comment on the rans except it is bulit in Brazil, shifts could be shorter, but that will become a Ford Racing fix...and thats just my preference....the most impressive thing that stuck with me was how quiet she was humming along at 75....Ive never been in a car this small that is this "relaxing" to drive...a long trip wouldnt be an issue at all....

DC better watch his back.

A non-journalist can write a better review.

Glad you like the car, Dean.

the ergonomics are just a learning curve, thats all...and they dont bother me....the Start buttons a novelty I could have done without but thats just me resisting change i think,,,,,,funnily enough i poo pooed the Ambient Lighting initially, but its actually kinda cool, and instills instant smiles from everyone....had an argument with SYnch this morning so i'll still have to figure that "techie" crap out, but I'm sure with constant hands on i will become more appreciative....right now we arent on speaking terms....lol

Yeah, thanks for the mini reviews...keep them coming as you drive it more. The Fiesta could end up being on just about every Ford buyers list as fuel prices become more problematic. Sounds like a nice, little freeway cruiser even up grades.

tickled right now...so i may be less objective...but taht will come with time I suppose...but so far color me impressed....and sure is fun DRIVING the car and keeping her in the powerband....engine is VERY smooth, even in the upper RPMs....i would rank it substantially less thrashy at higher RPMs than the Cooper I had...

...engine is VERY smooth, even in the upper RPMs....i would rank it substantially less thrashy at higher RPMs than the Cooper I had...

That's good news indeed. I've read that the 1.6L Duratec (aka Zetec SE, aka Sigma) is even smoother than the Mazda MZR, which is fairly refined in its own right, and you've confirmed it. :)

That's good news indeed. I've read that the 1.6L Duratec (aka Zetec SE, aka Sigma) is even smoother than the Mazda MZR, which is fairly refined in its own right, and you've confirmed it. :)

the on cam snarl at 400 and above is inviting to say the least, obviously she doesnt pull like the Cooper S i had, but it IS smoother and peppy enough to be 'fun" should one wish to turn the wick up.....BRING ON THE ECO VERSION I say....if this is anything to go by I have astronomical expectations...

Inquiring minds want to know........Is there not the tire/wheel slamming that DC mentioned, but did not experience? :banghead:

ZIppo...as mentioned...no bump thump....however, it IS the reason the optional 17 inch wheels were removed as factory options and will become avil through parts....but the stock 16's are FINE....DC was speculating, and made a knee jerk assumption. Road noise, whilst surface dependent is muted on all but the roughest surface, and the ride is pretty darn comfortable...those seats help, they are extremely comfortable....

You should take a buddy along one day and see how long they can last in the back seat before they start complaining.

ahhhh, reality check...ITS A B CAR what the hell do people expect, Flex second row legroom???????????????? and my 14 year old neice sat back there this morning...plenty of room...its all dependent on the siaze of the driver and passenger.....and theres more room than the Cooper.... :shades:

ahhhh, reality check...ITS A B CAR what the hell do people expect, Flex second row legroom???????????????? and my 14 year old neice sat back there this morning...plenty of room...its all dependent on the siaze of the driver and passenger.....and theres more room than the Cooper.... :shades:

Yeah, don't think many Ford dealerships will be using the Fiesta as their courtesy drop-off vehicle as they do the Flex.

Hello all,

I took out an SE 5dr for a testdrive yesterday, and was very very impressed. One thing I did notice, was that my right leg was touching the centre console area, and that its quite a narrow area. But that is par for the course, and didnt take away from the car in any way. Fun to drive, cornered very well, and I turned the radio down and listened for wind noise, and not a damn thing. Much Much nicer than my 07 Focus (which I do love!). Radio was really nice, took a min to get used to a non ford brick radio, but very very nice. It lacked Sync tho, well I think it did, no controls on the steering wheel. And I agree, love that steering wheel, feels right! Anyways, great car!!! Hopefully the stars align, and I can trade up, but down a class! Or wait for the 12 Focus...

Yeah, don't think many Ford dealerships will be using the Fiesta as their courtesy drop-off vehicle as they do the Flex.

maybe at Midget tossing events...but seriously, this is a SMALL car, i dont know what people expect, I'm 5.10 and when I sit in the drivers seat and adjust for myself, if I jump in the rear seat immediately afterward I have 2-3 ionches between the back of the front seat and my knees.....its fine.....long distance perhaps not due top lack of support under the knees....but for 4x 5ft 10 people ( or shorter..fine in a pinch or a booze run...

Hello all,

I took out an SE 5dr for a testdrive yesterday, and was very very impressed. One thing I did notice, was that my right leg was touching the centre console area, and that its quite a narrow area. But that is par for the course, and didnt take away from the car in any way. Fun to drive, cornered very well, and I turned the radio down and listened for wind noise, and not a damn thing. Much Much nicer than my 07 Focus (which I do love!). Radio was really nice, took a min to get used to a non ford brick radio, but very very nice. It lacked Sync tho, well I think it did, no controls on the steering wheel. And I agree, love that steering wheel, feels right! Anyways, great car!!! Hopefully the stars align, and I can trade up, but down a class! Or wait for the 12 Focus...

my knees were fine...but I dont drive like a 50c whore advertising their wares....j/k.....then again i was focusing on other issues so i'll make a note....one area I may investigate is a left wheel well foot rest...its carpeted and will wear....Ford has made some GREAT strides with this car...and if this is anything to go by the next focus will be world class no doubt!

Rear leg room is better than Mustang, those wanting more can go buy a Focus.